Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#100440 - 07/30/12 02:45 PM Re: Electrolysis for children ? [Re: mhawkes]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
My God ... if I had any chance in the world I would move to New Zealand! I'm too damned old to be allowed in ... but your country. (If I ever did move there, I would then try to keep everybody OUT!)

Yes, I was in the UK too, but the people in NZL were the most open of everyone. A few are doing local anesthetic, which will be necessary at "the right time only." I spoke to your medical board and they are probably still "on line" for the procedure; yes, for independent electrologists.

I hope Steve is a better sailor. We got out in 15-foot swells and after a few beers almost crashed into the cliffs. Nicely, I don't "do beer" and we were able to drop the spinnaker and make it back in. What a day!

Sponsored Links
#100441 - 07/30/12 03:03 PM Re: Electrolysis for children ? [Re: mhawkes]
Hairadicator Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Children rarely have the motivation or maturity level to see electrolysis through to completion. They become bored and irritated, eventually railing against the parents for pushing them into something of which they have no interest. It becomes a waste of time, money and effort that generally ends in disappointment and at times erroneous statements are made to the effect that "electrolysis does not work." Everyone loses!

Edited by Hairadicator (07/30/12 03:13 PM)

hairzap@gmail.com

#100442 - 07/30/12 03:20 PM Re: Electrolysis for children ? [Re: Hairadicator]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Hairadicator yes, agree 100%

I only had two kids where it worked well. One was a 7-year-old with a tele on her nose: one zap and it was gone (she was VERY motivated). The other was a kid born with no ear. I cleared the area where the ear was going and the surgeon did several procedures to create an ear (non-functioning, but it looked much better). Both kids were under direct on-site medical supervision of the plastic surgeon.

#100449 - 07/30/12 07:30 PM Re: Electrolysis for children ? [Re: Michael Bono]
Fairygirl Offline
Major Contributor

Thanks for all the further comments.

The only area which will cause the most concern and my daughter would probably want dealt with in the next wee while would be her nose tip. I cant imagine it would take much to sort out. If it starts to grow wildly in the area over the next few years, would it make matters worse down the track if we were to use hair removal cream there? Not that I want too, as Im terrified about making look so much worse with temporary measures. Im just thinking it would be horribly stubbly and obvious when it was growing back.
Thanks

#100452 - 07/31/12 12:31 AM Re: Electrolysis for children ? [Re: Fairygirl]
Hairadicator Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Quite frankly I would not worry about hair growth in children this young. Worry over "what ifs" and being "terrified" has the potential to do more damage to you than unwanted hair problems in your children. For the record, any type of surface hair removal such as creams, clipping, shaving etc has NO effect on hair growth, although creams can be harsh on a child's skin. If other children are making fun of them, it's a bully issue and should be dealt with accordingly.

hairzap@gmail.com

#100454 - 07/31/12 01:21 AM Re: Electrolysis for children ? [Re: Hairadicator]
zaphairzap Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Houston
I'm neither a mom nor an electrologist. Just genuinely curious because I might have hairy children one day and I want to be prepared. Personally, I didn't start worrying about my excess hair until I was 19-20 years old but I think that was because I was too preoccupied by my horrendous acne.

I very strongly think that my chest and upper arms would not have been the active pimple warzone that they were(and still are, though to a lesser extent now in addition to 10 years of scarring) had I had electrolysis in these areas before I started getting oily-which began at age 13-14ish after puberty. I assume no hair = no folliculitis? Folliculitis + acne has been a major problem for me in those areas. I'm also sure that electrolysis or no electrolysis, my back and face would have affected equally. I feel like the nature of lesions on chest+arms vs. face+back was/is different for me. And that hair removal on chest/arms early on would have made a world of difference in current skin quality and self esteem.

Other than pain and lack of full consent, what problems could early electrolysis treatment have for children?

Edited by zaphairzap (07/31/12 01:27 AM)

#100455 - 07/31/12 01:21 AM Re: Electrolysis for children ? [Re: zaphairzap]
zaphairzap Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Houston
And I mean children age 11ish and upward

#100456 - 07/31/12 01:54 AM Re: Electrolysis for children ? [Re: Fairygirl]
depilacionelectr
Unregistered

I join the opinion of my colleagues here. Subject a child to the Electrolysis can be traumatic. However, I can understand the concern of this mother, as I understood at the time the reasons for the mother of Christine, a 6 year old girl who was treated of her upper lip. All of us, including Lola, my doctor thought that Cristina would rise from the table as she saw the needle. All except her mother, because nobody in the world knows her daughter better than a mother. Cristina is an unusually mature child, who always watched with curiously as a nurse drew some blood for routine analysis.

With only 6 years Cristina was already suffering the cruelty of children in school. We agreed to try to Cristina with the condition that the slightest gesture of rejection, we would stop treatment.
The treatment was carried out by applying some topical anesthesia, and subsequent application of local anesthesia. The child absolutely did not suffer any pain or discomfort.

I've never seen anything like it. Not only completed all sessions (about 6 sessions of 30 minutes) but Cristina enjoyed it. While I worked, her mother read a funny book pages.
One day while they waited for me to finish with the previous client, Cristina drew a picture that later gave me. For some time hung on the wall to give an example to some of my clients over 30. Moral: There is no minimum or maximum age for Electrolysis, you just need a great motivator and a mother as the mother of Cristina.

#100462 - 08/01/12 02:00 AM Re: Electrolysis for children ? [Re: ]
Fairygirl Offline
Major Contributor

Thank you everyone.

I just wondered .. if there half a chance the longish vellus hairs on her face (particularly nose) will thin out / grow shorter naturally as she ages? Anyone seen this happen before? Or are they more likely to darken and thicken?

Probably like asking how long is a piece of string ...

#100463 - 08/01/12 02:24 AM Re: Electrolysis for children ? [Re: Fairygirl]
Hairadicator Offline
Top 20 Contributor

It is impossible to know this early. The entire situation could change at puberty ... which way it will go is anyone's guess.

hairzap@gmail.com

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
My electrologist plucks my hairs. A french story..
by adrien_sanchiz
1 second ago
Are AEA electrologists the only ones to pick?
by Soft Touch
Today at 01:57 AM
Ripped Off?
by Soft Touch
Today at 12:36 AM
Lower Back Pain
by Megrb
Today at 12:10 AM
FOR SALE
by CMM
Yesterday at 02:55 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9507
James W. Walker VII 8027
Andrea 4146
Michael Bono 3092
Who's Online
1 registered (adrien_sanchiz), 88 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod