Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#100559 - 08/07/12 05:28 PM Doctor warns against bikini waxing and other...
fenix Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Quote:

A doctor has launched an appeal to reverse one of the fashion trends of the last decade, seen in the explosion of beauty salons offering bikini waxing, laser hair removal and “vajazzling”– jewelled decoration of the genitals.

Emily Gibson, a family physician and head of a student health centre, called for an end to the “war on pubic hair” claiming it is increasing the risk of infection and of sexually transmitted diseases amongst young people.

As director of the health centre at Western University in Washington State, US, she has seen the consequences. “Pubic hair removal naturally irritates and inflames the hair follicles, leaving microscopic open wounds. Frequent hair removal is necessary to stay smooth, causing regular irritation of the shaved or waxed area. When that is combined with the warm, moist environment of the genitals, it becomes a happy culture media for some of the nastiest bacterial pathogens,” she writes on the respected US medical website Kevin MD.com.

Surgeons used to insist on shaving the area of the body where an operation was to be performed in the misguided belief that it reduced surgical site infections. Now official advice is to leave hair alone, unless it interferes with the operation, and where removal is necessary to use electric clippers.

Dr Gibson says that whatever method is used on pubic hair – razor blades, electric shavers, tweezers, waxing, depilatories, electrolysis - “hair, like crab grass, always grows back and eventually wins.”
full article http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/...ng-8008628.html
I had to roll my eyes when this doctor put electrolysis into the category of temporary hair removal products. But it is interesting to see this link between infections and STD risks and hair removal in that area. Experts what do you think? smirk

Sponsored Links
#100560 - 08/07/12 06:49 PM Re: Doctor warns against bikini waxing and other... [Re: fenix]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I'm not hearing about or observing any correlations between infection and lack of hair in the private areas. I am referring to laser and electrolysis. I suppose temporary measures, if performed in an unsanitary way, could harbor germs and cause infection if the skin is broken.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#100567 - 08/08/12 03:25 PM Re: Doctor warns against bikini waxing and other... [Re: dfahey]
ozzy Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: fl
I'm no expert, but I think someone needs to get lucky! smile

#100568 - 08/08/12 07:09 PM Re: Doctor warns against bikini waxing and other... [Re: ozzy]
Hairadicator Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Doctors and other professionals can launch "appeals" all day and it's not going to change the direction of fads and pop culture. Either you move in the direction of change or change leaves you stranded! I am so tired of hearing the word "infection" thrown about as a means of instilling fear and controlling personal behavior. If infection risks were as high as this doctor would lead us to believe, the simple act of shaving or clipping fingernails would be dangerous!

Edited by Hairadicator (08/08/12 07:09 PM)

hairzap@gmail.com

#100569 - 08/09/12 12:36 AM Re: Doctor warns against bikini waxing and other... [Re: Hairadicator]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't Doctors hold multiple certifications? I guess knowledge and certifications do not always coincide. wink

#102809 - 11/29/12 12:41 AM Re: Doctor warns against bikini waxing and other... [Re: James W. Walker VII]
My Epil Offline
Contributor

Loc: USA
Ummm, yeah that doesn't make too much sense to me. Unless you're actually getting infections from how you're treating your skin...

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Thermolysis on thick facial hair (+Photos)
by dfahey
Today at 01:26 AM
When Can I start and who to see In nj?
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 07:07 PM
Showing my work...
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 02:47 PM
My Skin Years After Last Session
by dj355
10/21/17 04:36 PM
prominent sebaceous glands: can hair removal help?
by Michael Bono
10/19/17 09:16 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9586
James W. Walker VII 8041
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3160
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 103 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod