Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#101152 - 09/15/12 05:42 AM Re: Reader experiment for increasing effectiveness [Re: ekade]
LeahC Offline
Contributor

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: ekade
I have a question about chilling the area by ice before electrolysis treatment. Maybe it does numb the area, but isnít the skin will be in goose-bumps, which shrinks the follicle opening and make the insertion more difficult?

I would have guessed the same as you, ekade, about goosebumps making it harder for the technician to get the job done quickly or effectively. That is interesting about the (lack of) effect of cold upon the individual follicles, Jessie. Any pro input on how/why this is so? Or alternately, with a different experience than Jessie's technician had?

Sponsored Links
#101525 - 10/03/12 02:34 PM Re: Reader experiment for increasing effectiveness [Re: LeahC]
JessieH Offline

Leah C, I don't find the 15 minutes of thorough chilling of my skin painful at all, the colder the better. That was using the soft covered ACE ice packs. If your ice packs are painfully cold wrap them with a thin piece of cloth maybe.

Different people will react differently to everything, of course. For me applying the EMLA (Lidocaine/Prilocaine cream) for an hour worked in less sensitive areas, but not at all for the more sensitive ones.

Now that the ice has reduced the pain and the inflammation response enough to raise the probe setting I can complete treatments and see some hair removal progress. The eruption of red spots two days later is the result of having more impact on the follicles. It's just that the higher setting damages my skin enough that the deep healing takes longer, not showing on the surface for a couple days, and makes the skin fragile.

It seems a good fraction of the follicle close, some pulling out as a short shaft of tissue, and it's that healing that leaves all the scabs...! So I'm just treating it with the most gentle care I can, a little Aloe plus very gentle cleansing to help start removing the scabs as it heals.

Even with the much improved technique I think my face needs another couple months off, to really heal again. !

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
How to find an electrologist in your area
by smac
Yesterday at 08:28 PM
PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail
by The Dowager
Yesterday at 08:51 AM
One-touch electrolysis
by fenix
03/21/17 09:22 PM
Schools that accept Pell Grant?
by fenix
03/21/17 09:13 PM
Am I being impatient or am I being plucked?
by TheFlyingProbe
03/21/17 08:35 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9438
James W. Walker VII 8023
Andrea 4145
Michael Bono 3051
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 110 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod