Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#101315 - 09/22/12 02:00 AM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: Danika]
Deedra Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: United States
Maybe her electrologist is a diabetic and uses her insulin syringe needles for electrolysis, too. Is it possible that you misunderstood what she is using on you? With that gauge of needle, I would think you would be bleeding and bruised after a treatment, if that is what she is really using.

Licensed by the State Medical Board of Ohio for Cosmetic Therapy/Electrolysis and the State Nursing Board of Ohio

Thread Sponsors
#101400 - 09/27/12 03:44 PM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: ]
harrykarry Offline
Contributor

OP, I am in a similar situation as you. I have long vellus hairs all over and I am having my face treated currently. If I look into a mirror at a certain angle I can see long darker hairs. I am a brunette so I my hairs are darker but not thick like terminal hairs. My arm hair is about 1 inch in length but thin, not peach fuzzy thin though. It's difficult to explain and pics would not do it any justice.

My electrolysis needs to turn her light in all sorts of ways to get the shadow just right and when she does she goes to town on the hairs. She has also used some kind of dye stuff that she spreads all over my face to find the finer hairs.

#101403 - 09/27/12 08:04 PM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: harrykarry]
Hairadicator Offline
Top 20 Contributor

I no longer work with vellus hair cases and question electrologists that do. Unless the hair has accelerated to the point of becoming terminal hair, vellus hair "problems" have more to do with obsessive compulsive disorder fueled by high magnification mirrors than hair per se. Michael Bono brought up an interesting point. Clients will often say "just get the long ones" and do not comprehend (even when told) that eventually all of them grow long at different times. It becomes an uphill battle since there will always be "long ones." Additional difficulties arise when hormonal changes and the natural aging process stimulate more vellus hair to grow. It is simply not cost effective. Repeated treatments with follicles so close together in the same area over a period of many years even with the best electrologist and equipment has the potential to inflict skin damage. Electrologists and clients are free to make their own decisions, but it is my personal opinion that electrology is not the route of choice to alleviate vellus hair distress.

Edited by Hairadicator (09/27/12 09:17 PM)

hairzap@gmail.com

#101404 - 09/27/12 09:14 PM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: Hairadicator]
depilacionelectr
Unregistered

I absolutely disagree with you. I have worked on hundreds of cases and once the healing process is complete, the skin always looks better than before. Nobody can guarantee that some peach fuzz does not become terminal hairs, but at least these people can live with a certain level of confidence, if for them the vellus was a real problem. I am working very hard on people from South Asia due to emigration must adapt to the demands of the West. This must not be easy growing among children who tell you that you are the missing link between man and ape, or you look like a werewolf only because the hair is more evident in you than in humans around you. While I have strength, and they want to get rid of these hairs covering most of their bodies, I will contribute to make their lives easier in society.

Oh I forgot the most important: For better or worse, Electrology is the ONLY answer!

#101406 - 09/27/12 09:46 PM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: ]
Deedra Offline

Top 10 Contributor

I most whole-heartedly agree with Josefa! Everything you said should be magnified and repeated, Josefa, because you are totally correct. We both have lived it with our clients and we know what is possible, even though it is not easy. i say, let the consumer decide what they want and then serve them well accordingly.

There is no skin damage with such a strategy. Apilus Platinum technology, Laurier probes and........SKILL see's to that. This is old, stale white bread thinking in regard to what a modern electrologist can do in 2012 and beyond. It is not easy and it is not cheap, but peach fuzz can be refined to a point where a woman feels better about her appearance. Many cases I treat, I don't agree with them that they need treatment, but if they understand the high hurdles involved with the process, they should decide what is best for them, not me.

Licensed by the State Medical Board of Ohio for Cosmetic Therapy/Electrolysis and the State Nursing Board of Ohio

#101411 - 09/27/12 10:40 PM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: ]
Hairadicator Offline
Top 20 Contributor

The potential for skin damage will always exist anytime the skin is disrupted (by any means) and can NEVER be 100% negated by any machine, instrument or individual. Machine sales jargon and enthusiasm over probes will not change this fact. Even hair salon clients risk skin damage from hair products, but it seldom occurs. As electrologists we work to minimize permanent side effects and today problems are rare, but this does not mean the potential for it to happen has been eliminated.

Edited by Hairadicator (09/27/12 11:04 PM)

hairzap@gmail.com

#101413 - 09/28/12 12:35 AM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: Hairadicator]
depilacionelectr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Hairadicator
The potential for skin damage will always exist anytime the skin is disrupted (by any means) and can NEVER be 100% negated by any machine, instrument or individual.

ein? I thought our goal was "to disrupt" the follicle, and once removed, is closed forever, giving an appearance of homogeneity absolutely perfect to their host, ie the skin.

I don't know how you dealt with this type of follicles (before deciding that it is not worthwhile), but in my case, and those of many of the colleagues who have been able to cross impressions, the lesion is very precise, just one or two millimeters deep. Basically almost the same depth that has the epidermis. As you no doubt know, most of these hairs is in telogen phase, so the goal is reduced by more than half to any terminal follicle which has most of the hairs in the anagen phase. You, me, or one has to be very beast to scar these mini-follicles.

On the other hand, I do not know if you are aware of the new procedures to minimize dilated pores or holes in old acne scars. It consists of coagulate the objective follicle edges, so that the new wound edges and close the hole forever. I've tried to do this, and I have seen positive results.

#101414 - 09/28/12 03:00 AM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: Hairadicator]
Deedra Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Originally Posted By: Hairadicator
.........As electrologists we work to minimize permanent side effects and today problems are rare, but this does not mean the potential for it to happen has been eliminated.

I am not seeing or hearing complaints about skin damage with my vellus hair cases, and i do a lot of vellus hair, so I guess the "potential part " of your statement has not been realized. Another keyword: RARE

#101416 - 09/28/12 06:05 AM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: ]
ekade Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Originally Posted By: dfahey
There is no skin damage with such a strategy. Apilus Platinum technology, Laurier probes and........SKILL see's to that.

And very good magnification I dare to add.

#101419 - 09/28/12 01:23 PM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: ekade]
Deedra Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Oh, you are absolutely right ! Magnification is probably the most overlooked in vellus hair strategy.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Apilus Platinum Pur for Sale
by laraisk
Today at 09:14 AM
Pro-Tec Probes Recommendations for Apilus
by cryptic
Yesterday at 09:49 PM
Something wrong
by blueberry
Yesterday at 09:11 PM
Apilus Senior II - Manual
by cryptic
Yesterday at 08:54 PM
Guidance on after care
by Pkanji
Yesterday at 04:18 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
Deedra 9725
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4158
Michael Bono 3511
Who's Online
1 registered (kiki88), 130 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod