Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#101769 - 10/15/12 06:47 PM Just had my laser consult. Im looking for feedback
Smiley187 Offline

I feel like my skin type is type III but the practitioner said I'm more of a type II. I have very thick, dark coarse hair on my chest and abs (area to be treated).

The machine she'll be using is the Apogee Elite. I asked what kind of laser it was and she says it has two modes, but she'd be using the Alexandrite on me.

I asked about the following...

Pulse width: start at 22 and go up from there if possible
Spot size: 12mm
Energy level: 20j
Repetition Rate: 1.5

She even lasered a small spot on my abs so I would see how it felt. It felt fine. I smelled burning hair. Although the laser is air cooled, she put on a gel on my skin before beginning the laser. I asked what it was for and she said it's to help the laser hit the hairs. She said the gel doesn't impede the laser.

It's been 10 days since that sample spot was lasered and some of the hairs are coming out in a disfigured fashion. Most of them still haven't come out from under the skin yet.

I'm comfortable going forward with the treatments. I just wanted to make sure that people on here feel that these numbers and info sound about right.

Edited by Smiley187 (10/15/12 06:57 PM)

Sponsored Links
#101772 - 10/15/12 09:06 PM Re: Just had my laser consult. Im looking for feedback [Re: Smiley187]
mam91 Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: canada
my dear!please stay awa from laser as it could stimulate more hair growth in other parts of the body.aparts from the legs.but abs,chest etc it could stimulate more growth on your shoulder region.

#101775 - 10/15/12 09:31 PM Re: Just had my laser consult. Im looking for feedback [Re: mam91]
Smiley187 Offline

Originally Posted By: mam91
my dear!please stay awa from laser as it could stimulate more hair growth in other parts of the body.aparts from the legs.but abs,chest etc it could stimulate more growth on your shoulder region.

Are you serious? How come I've never seen this discussed anywhere -- including here?

#101776 - 10/15/12 10:11 PM Re: Just had my laser consult. Im looking for feedback [Re: Smiley187]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: London, UK
Actually, Laser induced growth is discussed and reported on here all the time.

Not sure if it occurs on chest and abs though. Male upper arms and upper back for sure.
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to Nov 2013, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

#101777 - 10/15/12 10:25 PM Re: Just had my laser consult. Im looking for feedback [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
Hairadicator Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Laser induced hair growth is not common but when it does happen, it can be a nightmare.

hairzap@gmail.com

#101778 - 10/15/12 10:34 PM Re: Just had my laser consult. Im looking for feedback [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
Smiley187 Offline

Originally Posted By: stoppit&tidyup
Actually, Laser induced growth is discussed and reported on here all the time.

Not sure if it occurs on chest and abs though. Male upper arms and upper back for sure.

Yea you're right. I found the threads. But no one is talking about "chest and abs". They're talking about using laser on areas that have fine hairs.... Well... my chest and abs have the same amount, thickness, and coarseness of hair as my underarms or pubic region... Does this negate what other poster was talking about?

EDIT: Then again, the poster mentioned it could stimulate growth in other areas. Is this possible for any case, or only for fine hairs?

Edited by Smiley187 (10/15/12 10:40 PM)

#101779 - 10/15/12 10:51 PM Re: Just had my laser consult. Im looking for feedback [Re: Smiley187]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: London, UK
There are areas that are susceptible to laser induced growth, so it is not advisable to have laser performed in those areas. It is not always a problem with just treating fine hairs either (in those areas).

I don't think I have come across any reports of this happening on the male chest and abdomen. As long as the hair is coarse enough, you should be okay in terms of results as well.
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to Nov 2013, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

#101780 - 10/15/12 10:54 PM Re: Just had my laser consult. Im looking for feedback [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
Smiley187 Offline

Originally Posted By: stoppit&tidyup
There are areas that are susceptible to laser induced growth, so it is not advisable to have laser performed in those areas. It is not always a problem with just treating fine hairs either (in those areas).

I don't think I have come across any reports of this happening on the male chest and abdomen. As long as the hair is coarse enough, you should be okay in terms of results as well.

Great thanks for the replies! If this forum had a rep system, I'd definitely +1 you.

EDIT: Oh! I also read that it's important to have high laser strength to prevent laser induced hair growth. Are those number strong?

EDIT2: I remember seeing somewhere that dark coarse hair should have a spot size of 15mm instead of 12mm...

Edited by Smiley187 (10/15/12 10:56 PM)

#101781 - 10/15/12 11:21 PM Re: Just had my laser consult. Im looking for feedback [Re: Smiley187]
Hairadicator Offline
Top 20 Contributor

It is important for hair removal lasers to be calibrated on a regular basis ... a minimum of twice a year is recommended but every three to four months is preferred. Most practitioners pay a flat rate for a service agreement (after the laser is out of warranty) which takes care of the laser whenever it needs service or repair. A laser can slip out of calibration in an instant. When this happens, a readout of 20 joules might only be 10 joules at the hand piece. Eventually the practitioner will notice but it's not always apparent when it first happens. As a consumer, I would ask to see documentation verifying the machine used on me has been properly calibrated.

hairzap@gmail.com

#101782 - 10/15/12 11:46 PM Re: Just had my laser consult. Im looking for feedback [Re: Smiley187]
yb Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
I see this all the time! Most common is male upper body and the female face. They come to me for electrolysis after years of failed laser.

Laser-induced growth on the female face is a very old one, there have been studies about it from over 10 years ago, and it's pretty much a given. If you are a female with unwanted hair on your face, laser will make the problem worse.

I also see many men who complain of induced growth on their upper bodies due to LHR. I haven't seen any studies about this phenomenon, but the evidence is overwhelmingly impressive.

I have an electrolysis client now who's done laser on his upper body over a 5-year period. He came in complaining of induced growth from laser on his chest, back, shoulders. This is nothing new to me, but this time he had proof! He has a tattoo on one side, and that part is almost hairless. There is a hairless border around that tattoo, where the laser wasn't used, surrounded by a lot of hair that he swears grew out as a result of his laser treatments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
A sterm warning to anyone considering laser hair removal.
by Miamikitty
Yesterday at 08:54 PM
Guidance on after care
by HairByHair
Yesterday at 07:00 AM
Newbie journey
by MrsV
09/19/18 10:54 PM
Best Laser Hair Removal UAE
by Deedra
09/19/18 10:52 PM
Electrologist referral
by Arlene R. Batz, CPE
09/19/18 06:08 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
Deedra 9711
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4158
Michael Bono 3490
Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod