Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#105522 - 03/19/13 05:37 PM 17 year old guy with excessive hair
JoviFan Offline

To start off, I’m a 17 year old male and all my life I’ve had problems dealing with excessive body hair. According to my mom, I was born with dark hair on my arms and legs which never went away. Even as a toddler, my arms and legs were so hairy that kids in preschool and kindergarten would ask why I was so “fuzzy” and why I looked like their daddy. I think I hit puberty when I was about 8 and by 9 I had about as much armpit hair as I do now, and that’s a lot. I started getting hair on my chest and stomach at 11 and that’s been getting thicker and thicker since. I also got facial hair at 11, which my parents wouldn’t let me shave because I would “cut myself” so for a few years I had quite a bit of beard scruff on my face. At around 13 I started getting back hair which isn’t the thickest hair on my body, but it’s still way more than a teen should have.

All my life I was teased and made an outcast because I was so hairy, I can remember all the way back to my first few years of school people would comment and tease me about it. Once it became junior high it was getting really bad, and it peaked during freshman year in PE. We had to change our clothes before and after class in the locker room, and by this time I had quite a lot of chest, stomach, and back hair and was teased (you could say tormented) constantly. Even now people passing by just stare at me with disgust, even adults, which obviously has had huge impacts on my self esteem.

Now at 17 I feel like the insults and names people would call me (werewolf, gorilla, ape, Chewbacca) are all true. It’s mostly my arms and legs. They’re so covered with long, thick hair, that it’s almost impossible to see skin underneath, as if it was animal fur. The center of my chest and most of my stomach is also the same way. There literally is not even an inch of skin on my whole body where I don’t have dark, noticeable hair. Even on places like my shoulders and back, where the hair is still very fine and short, it’s still dark and noticeable. I feel so embarrassed when people, even family, see me because I just feel like this caveman and the hair is getting thicker all the time. I mean, I know there are some adults with more chest hair than me but at the rate it’s growing in, that’ll change.

Both sides of my family are extremely hairy and I've definitely inherited it from both sides. My arms and legs are already the hairiest on both sides of my family that I know of, and the way the rest of my body is progressing I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up that way everywhere. I’ve basically got no chance at a girlfriend, all the girls I’ve met have told me I’m gross and need to shave… which sort of leads me to another problem.

In the past 9 or so months I’ve developed a very severe case of fibromyalgia, which for those who are unfamiliar can best be described as horrifying, excruciating pain all over your body 24/7. I’ve had symptoms for a good portion of my life but it was never severe until 9 months ago. I’ve gotten to the point where I can barely even walk, open a water bottle, and even use a pencil. I can’t think of any feasible methods of hair removal that won’t be ridiculously painful. I have no money (as I can’t physically work) so any sort of laser, electrolysis, anything is basically not possible at the moment. Shaving is horribly painful (it’s hard enough to shave my face, I typically hold out as long as I can without looking like I’m growing a beard), and waxing is just ridiculous to think about. Even running a trimmer over my body hair is too painful to be worth it. My lack of mobility has made me put on 30-40 pounds in the past few years and I just feel like this fat, hairy thing that can’t walk and gets stared at for being a werewolf.

Since there’s no method of removing the hair that’s really worth it or feasible, I’m trying at this point to just get comfortable with looking like this. To stop caring what people think. We have family in town and they want to take us to a pool (which is nice for me because being in water helps me move better since it’s weight-relieved) and I would love to be able to take off my shirt without a care, but I’m just way too embarrassed. I don’t really know what to do.

I did take a picture of my arms and legs, I don't know if that's weird to show here or not but I figured I'd hold off on showing them just in case it is weird.

Edited by JoviFan (03/19/13 08:22 PM)

Sponsored Links
#105531 - 03/19/13 08:26 PM Re: 17 year old guy with excessive hair [Re: JoviFan]
fenix Offline
Top 10 Contributor

I sympathize with what you are struggling with. I think focusing on managing your fibromyalgia should be your top priority at this time so at least you will be able to shave and wax to give you some relief with your hair worries. Do you have access to counseling in your school for support?

#105532 - 03/19/13 08:34 PM Re: 17 year old guy with excessive hair [Re: fenix]
JoviFan Offline

Originally Posted By: fenix
I sympathize with what you are struggling with. I think focusing on managing your fibromyalgia should be your top priority at this time so at least you will be able to shave and wax to give you some relief with your hair worries. Do you have access to counseling in your school for support?

It definitely is top priority, in comparison the hair is certainly less important, but still on my mind. The thing is, it's basically an incurable disease and usually your only chance is to just "hope" it goes away. Supposedly that's much more common in younger people, so I'm hopeful. I'm also trying some last resort medicine but I don't know if it's working yet.

By counseling, do you mean support for my fibromyalgia? Yes, my counselor and all my teachers sat down and came up with a medical plan to help make things easier for me, which is really good. They're all being very accommodating.

#106587 - 05/06/13 05:07 PM Re: 17 year old guy with excessive hair [Re: JoviFan]
ZoeStevens Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Ontario Canada
I'm a little late for the party, but I wanted to chime in in case you still come around here.

Because there is nothing you can do about it, you will have to find the humor in it or you'll go crazy. Try to see it as liberating - there's nothing you can do! Don't worry about it!

Don't forget, you're 17, and teenagers are terrible people with a million insecurities that they can only feel better about if they project them onto other people. When you're an adult, you will find it easier to manage.

A lot of girls truly don't care about body hair on a man. Some will, and there's nothing you can do about that, but many women are more interested in a nice confident guy than one with the right amount of body hair. (Some women are attracted to the caveman look... I am one of them, and find guys with less body hair to be less attractive.)

Next time someone bugs you about it, say "why yes, I have a fine pelt!" while petting your arm like it's a soft kitty or something. And then laugh. People are attracted to this and will soon see past the hair. If their intention to be hurtful, they will get bored when they see you are not bothered by it, and go away.

With your extra weight, you should just embrace your inner bear. Grow your beard, wear lumberjack shirts. Get a black toque for the winter. Do it all with an ironic smile and remember that it WILL get easier, if you let it.

Go to the pool, take your shirt off, walk tall. Wink or do finger guns at people who look at you. Most of them are just curious, and often people are uncomfortable because they think you are uncomfortable. If they see you are not, they will get over it quickly.

Anyway, good luck!!

#106849 - 05/14/13 10:08 AM Re: 17 year old guy with excessive hair [Re: ZoeStevens]
JoviFan Offline

Originally Posted By: ZoeStevens
I'm a little late for the party, but I wanted to chime in in case you still come around here.

Because there is nothing you can do about it, you will have to find the humor in it or you'll go crazy. Try to see it as liberating - there's nothing you can do! Don't worry about it!

Don't forget, you're 17, and teenagers are terrible people with a million insecurities that they can only feel better about if they project them onto other people. When you're an adult, you will find it easier to manage.

A lot of girls truly don't care about body hair on a man. Some will, and there's nothing you can do about that, but many women are more interested in a nice confident guy than one with the right amount of body hair. (Some women are attracted to the caveman look... I am one of them, and find guys with less body hair to be less attractive.)

Next time someone bugs you about it, say "why yes, I have a fine pelt!" while petting your arm like it's a soft kitty or something. And then laugh. People are attracted to this and will soon see past the hair. If their intention to be hurtful, they will get bored when they see you are not bothered by it, and go away.

With your extra weight, you should just embrace your inner bear. Grow your beard, wear lumberjack shirts. Get a black toque for the winter. Do it all with an ironic smile and remember that it WILL get easier, if you let it.

Go to the pool, take your shirt off, walk tall. Wink or do finger guns at people who look at you. Most of them are just curious, and often people are uncomfortable because they think you are uncomfortable. If they see you are not, they will get over it quickly.

Anyway, good luck!!

I'm still here!

Your post made me feel a lot better. I think a lot of the reason I've had such a problem with it is because of the way girls have treated me in particular, as if I'm like "untouchable" because I'm not shaved smooth like a Ken doll. I think knowing how many women there are out there that wouldn't mind, or even prefer, a guy with a lot of hair is comforting.

The condition of my health has made this much less of a priority as it was even 2 months ago. I really don't even attend school or even leave my house... ever, anymore, really. So there's nobody but my immediate family even seeing me and I'm not as embarrassed of my arms and legs in front of them, though I still don't take off my shirt yet in front them. But once I'm healthier (whenever that may be) I'm definitely going to try to use this advice, though I'm sure it's still easier said than done.

#106850 - 05/14/13 10:33 AM Re: 17 year old guy with excessive hair [Re: JoviFan]
Brenton Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: JoviFan
I think knowing how many women there are out there that wouldn't mind, or even prefer, a guy with a lot of hair is comforting.

This is a picture of my friend: http://tinyurl.com/cbhql62

She is pretty. She also loves hairy guys. Therefore, your hair can attract girls like that. /motivationalspeech

#107034 - 05/19/13 01:51 PM Re: 17 year old guy with excessive hair [Re: Brenton]
JoviFan Offline

Originally Posted By: Brenton
Originally Posted By: JoviFan
I think knowing how many women there are out there that wouldn't mind, or even prefer, a guy with a lot of hair is comforting.

This is a picture of my friend: http://tinyurl.com/cbhql62

She is pretty. She also loves hairy guys. Therefore, your hair can attract girls like that. /motivationalspeech
Thanks for that smile I think I've made a little progress on how I feel about myself in the past few months. Still a long road ahead, though.

#107048 - 05/19/13 10:16 PM Re: 17 year old guy with excessive hair [Re: JoviFan]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
I can’t stop thinking about this kid … Okay, this is a half-baked idea, but here goes.

This 17-year-old kid is a very special situation; very special indeed. Lots of people feel terrible about “excessive hair” (I know, I was a werewolf too), but this guy is seriously “out of the ordinary.” Most of us that are “depressed” just need a slap to the “kisser” and to get going on the solution. Not this guy.

So, there are a TON of us here on Hairtell: both electrologists and laser folks (well, not enough laser folks). What about all of us putting together a “treatment plan” involving all of us, and doing this kid for no charge?

We could “showcase” all the various modalities and decide which areas would be best for laser, pico-flash, and even (yes of course), manual blend (that would be me). With NO photos of the boy’s face, we could document this entire story and make it something of value for others seeking our help.

Anyway, you can put me first on the list.

I don’t know where this kid lives, but one of us (that lives near him) could organize this and get the ball rolling. Maybe the “big boys,” e.g., Dectro and our recent “Laser Avenger” (owns big laser company) could participate too.

Instead of all this verbal “Bull Sh**” … what about doing some work? You know: SHOW ME! We have an opportunity to collect some excellent data AND change somebody’s life.

(Note: Dr. Chapple, the guy I work with, travels every year to do free surgery on kids and adults with deformities and from war injuries. He does this for free and at his own expense. He’s done this for 30 years. Why can’t we do this too?)

#107049 - 05/19/13 10:24 PM Re: 17 year old guy with excessive hair [Re: Michael Bono]
depilacionelectr
Unregistered

I am the second on the list!

#107051 - 05/19/13 11:15 PM Re: 17 year old guy with excessive hair [Re: ]
CRC Biomedical Offline

Major Contributor

Loc: Washington, DC Metro Area
To recommend hair removal to a 17 year old male is a folly. Most of the hair he is complaining about is androgenic, and he will continue to naturally stimulate new androgenic growth well into his 20's. It would be prudent to at least wait until he is not a minor before giving him advice on the internet about what he should do with his body that may affect the rest of his life.

Edited by CRC Biomedical (05/19/13 11:15 PM)
CRC Biomedical Services

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Old dudes ...
by adrien_sanchiz
Today at 04:33 AM
Feeling Sad
by Fairygirl
Today at 03:50 AM
Electrolysis/Laser Feet, opinion - pic attached
by Michael Bono
Yesterday at 08:16 AM
Newbie journey
by MrsV
06/18/18 08:49 PM
Excessive Lymph During Treatment?
by dimi
06/18/18 10:14 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9672
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4157
Michael Bono 3411
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod