Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#106489 - 05/03/13 03:33 PM Kill Rate %
Gretchen0b Offline

Major Contributor

Loc: Colorado
This may be a question I should already know but I don't. I am not sure how to figure out my kill rate % and I would really like to know. What method or methods does everyone use to calculate this percentage?

www.pcelectrolysis.com

Thread Sponsors
#106504 - 05/04/13 01:31 PM Re: Kill Rate % [Re: Gretchen0b]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
You remind me of a certain student of mine who wants to quantify everything down to the 3rd significant figure. I don't know if I ever got her out of that habit.

I will be the dork who makes himself look bad by saying no one can really say what their actual kill rate percentage is. Anyone who says they do (outside of good or bad) is exaggerating, guessing, or some such.

You know you are doing good work when the clients are getting more space cleared in the same amount of time, and finished in a reasonable amount of time if they stay on a good schedule.

#106511 - 05/04/13 03:30 PM Re: Kill Rate % [Re: James W. Walker VII]
Gretchen0b Offline

Major Contributor

Thanks James, I just worry sometimes that I could be doing better if I just had?

www.pcelectrolysis.com

#106512 - 05/04/13 04:55 PM Re: Kill Rate % [Re: James W. Walker VII]
depilacionelectr
Unregistered

[quote=James W. Walker VII

Anyone who says they do (outside of good or bad) is exaggerating, guessing, or some such.

[/quote]

Everyone agrees with this statement?

#106522 - 05/04/13 07:07 PM Re: Kill Rate % [Re: ]
depilacionelectr
Unregistered

Although James did not mention my name, I feel directly alluded because for years I've been said that calculate your % of kill rate is not only possible but desirable.

It is not an exaggeration or a guessing pick a skin area that has not been touched at least 8 months before, and treat all, absolutely all the hairs that the human eye can see in several Cm2, wait a year and see what percentage of hairs grew in this small test area. If your kill rate is the desired percentage, the regrowth is only the % corresponding to the hairs that were exogenous phase at the time of the test. This percentage varies according to each area, but except in underarm and pubic area rarely exceeds 20%. So, if you opt for to test in arm, or leg, you must subtract the 20% to the amount of regrowth and remaining amount is your % of kill rate. You can do the calculations for the number of hairs present when making the second clearing, or by the time you invest in this second clearing respect you used the first time.

Good question Gretchen!

#106539 - 05/05/13 12:38 AM Re: Kill Rate % [Re: ]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
I was NOT alluding, directing or in any way talking about you dear lady. I was only making a point that actual stats are elusive based on the inability to know how many active follicles are in the area, mark the treated follicles, and have hard numbers to work with. While you, I, and many people we know could say that on a good day, our kill rate must be high, maybe in the 90th percentile and more, to say a hard number, like, 86%, 97.2% would be hard to support with actual stats.
It does seem that we agree that it takes a year to have any idea about the possible effectiveness. If we don't, agree on that, then, oh well... I will just leave the conversation to you all.

#106545 - 05/05/13 11:14 AM Re: Kill Rate % [Re: James W. Walker VII]
depilacionelectr
Unregistered

We agree on many more things, my dear gentleman, including the difficulty of identifying the number of active follicles today, and / or how many will be activated tomorrow regarding the amount of hairs treated in the test. This is why I insist on treating ALL hair that the human eye can see, better if using a magnifying instrument (something that we agree too). Unless the client suffers any type of cancer, or are taking any medication as immunosuppressants, etc, the likelihood of inactive follicles in areas that have completed development of terminal hairs, such as arms, legs, underarms, pubic area , etc, develop thicker hairs are negligible. For if so, treatment of finer hairs in the area would prevent this from happening. Since before terminal hair there was an intermediate hair, and before intermediate hair there was a fine hair.

#106565 - 05/06/13 12:13 AM Re: Kill Rate % [Re: ]
Deedra Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: United States
I go after every hair I see in an area, unless its the face and I need to scatter insertions in the first sessions because the hairs are so close together.

I don't know what my kill rate is. I just know that the first six months are the hardest, from month six to nine, it is obvious that something good is happening and at month 12, we are basically 90-95% finished. Somewhere between month 12 and 18. We are really finished - no more new best friend. frown

Licensed by the State Medical Board of Ohio for Cosmetic Therapy/Electrolysis and the State Nursing Board of Ohio

#106570 - 05/06/13 04:29 AM Re: Kill Rate % [Re: ]
Gretchen0b Offline

Major Contributor

Thanks Josefa, I was hoping that there was an actual formula. Of course there are a few more variables that will come into play with my own results. Although after a few more years those variables will narrow. Now to find someone who will let me work on one spot of their body once a year, and I'd rather it not be me. Dee I have so far gone off what you have said in the past and your last post, after six to nine months there should be a noticeable difference, your best new friend is almost gone.

www.pcelectrolysis.com

#106571 - 05/06/13 10:39 AM Re: Kill Rate % [Re: ]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: depilacionelectr
Although James did not mention my name, I feel directly alluded because for years I've been said that calculate your % of kill rate is not only possible but desirable.

It is not an exaggeration or a guessing pick a skin area that has not been touched at least 8 months before, and treat all, absolutely all the hairs that the human eye can see in several Cm2, wait a year and see what percentage of hairs grew in this small test area. If your kill rate is the desired percentage, the regrowth is only the % corresponding to the hairs that were exogenous phase at the time of the test. This percentage varies according to each area, but except in underarm and pubic area rarely exceeds 20%. So, if you opt for to test in arm, or leg, you must subtract the 20% to the amount of regrowth and remaining amount is your % of kill rate. You can do the calculations for the number of hairs present when making the second clearing, or by the time you invest in this second clearing respect you used the first time.

Good question Gretchen!

Gretchen, as a prospective student I would say that this method will give you a very clear indicator of your kill rate. If you are treating, say a square on the thigh of untouched hair you must completely clear all the hairs - follicles are present in groups of 3, so you need to make sure you get all 3 whenever all 3 are present.

Jossie's kill rate is close to, if not, 100%. The only hairs to appear after the clearance are the ones which were in exogen. There is no doubt that it takes a lot of skill and experience but it is possible and therefore a goal to work towards.
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to Nov 2013, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
A sterm warning to anyone considering laser hair removal.
by Miamikitty
Yesterday at 08:54 PM
Guidance on after care
by HairByHair
Yesterday at 07:00 AM
Newbie journey
by MrsV
09/19/18 10:54 PM
Best Laser Hair Removal UAE
by Deedra
09/19/18 10:52 PM
Electrologist referral
by Arlene R. Batz, CPE
09/19/18 06:08 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
Deedra 9711
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4158
Michael Bono 3490
Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod