Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#109177 - 09/18/13 02:34 PM Re: Silhouet Tone Bad Customer Service & Needle Cords [Re: Therese Moylan]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Well THAT is interesting! 5 megahertz!

I remember Hinkel telling me that while there is no monumental difference in HF frequencies, he was not pleased when the FCC mandated the three frequencies that electrolysis machines could use in the United States: 13.56, 27 and 40 megahertz.

Hinkel felt that the lower frequencies, such as 1.5 - 5 megahertz were best for elecrolysis (more of a “heating” range, he said). Whereas, he said, higher frequencies create more of a “cutting” effect. Thus, Hinkel went for the lowest frequency: 13.56. I’m not making a statement here, only remembering what Art told me.

Problems is, I would assume that the 5 megahertz unit would be “illegal” in the United States due to FCC rules? Probably okay in Europe and Canada? Although, maybe the rules have changed? All modern units are shielded, so I don’t see why FCC rules would be important any more.

(The older units … pre WWII … could be “amped-up” and used for Morse code communication: and they WERE! Great NYC story about a “spy” communicating with an offshore U-boat, using a modified Kree unit.)

Anybody know if there has been a change in FCC rules? I’d like to get my hands on this unit and try it out.

Sponsored Links
#109178 - 09/18/13 05:24 PM Re: Silhouet Tone Bad Customer Service & Needle Cords [Re: Therese Moylan]
tobehairfree Offline
Contributor

Loc: California, USA
SeanaTG, thank you so much for that information. I will check it out. I own a VMC that I have used exclusively for over 11 years. I'm not sure what the differences are between these 2 machines. My thought is that it would be easier to have the same machine but for the price I think I could adjust. smile

#109179 - 09/18/13 05:25 PM Re: Silhouet Tone Bad Customer Service & Needle Cords [Re: tobehairfree]
tobehairfree Offline
Contributor

SeanaTG, btw i'm in California.

#109180 - 09/18/13 05:28 PM Re: Silhouet Tone Bad Customer Service & Needle Cords [Re: tobehairfree]
tobehairfree Offline
Contributor

Therese Moylan, I've not experienced such bad customer service from silhouet-tone. They've always been very helpful for me. I haven't had to contact them in several years though. Maybe things have changed.

#109181 - 09/18/13 06:34 PM Re: Silhouet Tone Bad Customer Service & Needle Cords [Re: tobehairfree]
SeanaTG Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: The Great White North eh
Therese,

If you are concerned about Silouette Tone's customer service lapses, then you may consider getting a machine made by another manufacturer. I recently had to contact Apilus in montreal a couple of times and I was really impressed with the knowledge and willingness to help from the technician there. I happen to know they also have branch offices in europe.

TobeHairfree, I think the ST-250 is a less advanced machine than the VMC. Still a modern machine though and would support all three modulations, just probably less flash modes than the VMC. If the flash modes are more important to you, you may also consider looking for an Apilus Junior, Senior or SM 500 they are all pretty advanced machines and do come up used frequently, and probably pretty comparable to your VMC.

Seana

Edited by SeanaTG (09/18/13 06:39 PM)

#109187 - 09/18/13 07:13 PM Re: Silhouet Tone Bad Customer Service & Needle Cords [Re: SeanaTG]
tobehairfree Offline
Contributor

SeanaTG, thanks again for the info! An Apilus woud be great! Its my second choice, only because i'm so familiar with the VMC. I will keep my eye out for a good used Apilus Senior or SM 500.

#109216 - 09/19/13 08:22 PM Re: Silhouet Tone Bad Customer Service & Needle Cords [Re: tobehairfree]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
the SM-500 and SX-500 would be the models that would be closest to the VMC in performance.

#109223 - 09/19/13 11:24 PM Re: Silhouet Tone Bad Customer Service & Needle Cords [Re: James W. Walker VII]
tobehairfree Offline
Contributor

James W. Walker VII, Thank you! I will keep an eye out for either one of those.

#109228 - 09/20/13 01:36 AM Re: Silhouet Tone Bad Customer Service & Needle Cords [Re: Michael Bono]
fenix Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Originally Posted By: Michael Bono
Well THAT is interesting! 5 megahertz!

Problems is, I would assume that the 5 megahertz unit would be “illegal” in the United States due to FCC rules? Probably okay in Europe and Canada? Although, maybe the rules have changed?
Anybody know if there has been a change in FCC rules? I’d like to get my hands on this unit and try it out.
Silhouet site says that this model is only available in Canada. Two ways to interpret this is either they can't sell 5mz in U.S. market or since it's so new they don't have a lot of production to fill U.S. market yet.

If Silhouet Tone is trying to compete with Dectro Apilus Platinum by making "the fastest flash" on the market, it doesn't make sense that they're locking themselves out of the U.S. market (largest electrology market?) by going with the 5mz route instead of 27 mz.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Hairtell restructuration needed
by Iluv2zap
0 seconds ago
Electrolysis on legs
by ingeileen1991
Today at 01:52 PM
Most natural looking hair removal method
by Roselake21
Today at 10:32 AM
Letting too much time pass between sessions
by Roselake21
Today at 10:30 AM
Before & After electrolysis photos!
by Roselake21
Today at 10:25 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9611
James W. Walker VII 8050
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3185
Who's Online
2 registered (Divine45, 1 invisible), 85 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod