Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#109406 - 09/27/13 05:32 PM Re: Laser beard removal for rare chronic folliculitis [Re: Brenton]
Rickenbacker15 Offline
Contributor

Thanks Brenton!

I will shave the night before then, i guess the problem i have with shaving is going over the bumps and them bleeding / becoming more infected, but if it increases effectiveness i will happily grin and bear it.

Brenton - judging from my pics, do you think i'm a good candidate for LHR? As you can see i'm already suffering with random bald patches and bumps all over so i'm guessing it can't get worse?

Regards

Sponsored Links
#109409 - 09/27/13 08:00 PM Re: Laser beard removal for rare chronic folliculitis [Re: Rickenbacker15]
Brenton Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: SoCal
Try and shave gently. You could also try using an electric razor (possibly using a regular hand razor as much as possible and then use the electrical tool over the bumps). If it bleeds, just put some antibiotic on it and go to bed. I've had laser hair removal over skin that I've cut with a razor, and nothing bad has happened (it hurt a bit more of course).

Yes I do think you're a good candidate. Unless you're treated properly however, your beard can look very patchy afterwards (way worse than what you have now.) If they do good overlapping and use good settings, the risk of patchiness drops down dramatically. It is generally difficult to get an even reduction on the face, but it is common for the cheeks and neck hair to be reduced dramatically which sounds like what you wanted anyways.

#109410 - 09/27/13 10:45 PM Re: Laser beard removal for rare chronic folliculitis [Re: Brenton]
Rickenbacker15 Offline
Contributor

Brenton - thanks for the shaving advice, gonna try the razor / electric combination..

In terms of whether i've got a good practitioner - all i know is that he is a top dermatologist recommended by my surgeon in a high quality private hospital...

I will obviously find out his beard experience, the equipment he uses / settings, and what he is trying to achieve with me. The one thing for sure is - they have never ever tried selling or pressuring me into having the treatment...

I admit i'm very nervous, scared, and still not sure what to expect or aim for, the pain factor i have read about makes me a little anxious too...

Here is a pic from tonight, i went out with friends but got asked a few times by strangers what was wrong with my face, so i ended up coming home early because my confidence was shot, it is literally ruining my life...

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac22/GeneralDread15/image-2.jpg

Edited by Rickenbacker15 (09/27/13 10:51 PM)

#109411 - 09/28/13 01:21 AM Re: Laser beard removal for rare chronic folliculitis [Re: Rickenbacker15]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
I don’t mean to “butt in” but, well, you are here and I’m reading this. And, I have a big butt!

I suggest that you contact James Walker (one of the Hairtell regulars), because this case looks like it’s his “kind of job.”

Here are the advantages with electrolysis: 1) it can individually select the affected hair follicles. 2) it can thin the beard naturally with absolutely no danger of getting a patchy look. No risk of patches at all … 100% guaranteed!

Think “smart bomb” and not “carpet bombing” … you know the “collateral damage” we hear about? In your case, there is no need to kill off all the “civilians.”

He uses a technique and machine that’s not all that painful. I really think that you would get super results with only one visit to James. Spend some hours … even a few days … and see what happens.

There’s the thing: There is NO difficulty if later on you decide to do laser. Actually, having the beard thinned by electrolysis will make the laser even more successful. Remember there is no risk to at least TRYING electrolysis first. You have nothing to risk.

Yours is not the type of case that I do very well … but, this is the type of case that James has great success doing. You know: right up the “old alley” sort of deal? Think about it. You can certainly PM him or talk on the phone. Examine ALL your options first.

(And for those of you that know James and I do NOT get along? Yes, that’s true, but this board is ALL about patient’s needs; not personal animosity. Besides, nobody is interested.)

#109412 - 09/28/13 11:01 AM Re: Laser beard removal for rare chronic folliculitis [Re: Michael Bono]
Rickenbacker15 Offline
Contributor

Hey Micheal

Thanks for the recomendation, although i have just seen that James is based in the US, i live in the UK...seems like a LONG way to travel.

But upon reading many threads on this forum i see what LHR and Electrolysis go hand in hand, do you think James would know any good Electrologist's in the UK?

Also, most of what i have read seems to suggest that people usually go for LHR sessions first then finish up with Electrolysis to tidy things up?

I like your carpet bomb analogy, but to be honest i'm quite happy to have most of it reduced, even after a close wet shave i still have a dark shadow, so the thought of reducing the folliculitis and not having a constant shadow / shaving only every 2-3 days is like a dream to me.

To any UK readers - the hospital group that is performing the test patch and possible LHR sessions is Spire Healthcare, they are a private hospital.

Many thanks!

#109413 - 09/28/13 12:05 PM Re: Laser beard removal for rare chronic folliculitis [Re: Rickenbacker15]
Romeo Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, USA
Rickenbacker15, we deal with these cases all the time. Your treatment is not an easy job and doing laser will make your skin worse in the beginning with more redness, irritation and puss coming out. However after 2-3 sessions, your skin will be much better , it will heal and towards the end you may want to go through some electrolysis treatments. Keep us posted about the equipment that will be used. If you were in New York, we would treat you with a laser with a 20 or 22 mm spot size, first Alexandrite wavelength, then NDYAG.
212-750-2000

#109417 - 09/28/13 12:35 PM Re: Laser beard removal for rare chronic folliculitis [Re: Romeo]
Rickenbacker15 Offline
Contributor

Hey Romeo!

Yes i'm willing to go through it getting worse before it gets better, it's kind of the right time of year in the UK now the summer is over and approaching the colder months, i have pretty much written off this year and hope to be in a much better position by next summer, happier and clearer.

The dermatologist told me he uses a YAG machine, this was my first consultation way back in march this year, and before i found this forum, so i will be sure to find out if he also has an Alexandrite before using the YAG on me. What do i do if he only uses a YAG?

Also Romeo, if you were to to treat me, what would i expect after 4 treatments? Are lot of men happy with results at this point? And is the reduction permanent?

I have noticed that alot of guys on here don't seem to follow up on their threads with their progress long after treatment, and i'm hoping / guessing it's becuase they are happy with their result and too busy with their lives to keep coming back here...

Cheers!

#109420 - 09/28/13 01:41 PM Re: Laser beard removal for rare chronic folliculitis [Re: Rickenbacker15]
Brenton Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: SoCal
What Romeo does is very specialized (I wish more were like him to be honest). My guess is that if he didn't think what your dermatologist is going to do would be effective, he would tell you. Since he didn't say that, I wouldn't worry if he only has a YAG right now.

There's a number of people on this forum from the UK so I bet one of them has an electrologist they liked. I came across this one (It was on a transgendered-friendly list -- I've used some of the people on the list from California and they've all been fantastic, but I can't personally vouch for this person):

Helen Percicoe
Springdell Clinic
19 Poplar Road
Warmley, Bristol,
South Gloucestershire, BS30 5JX
Phone : (0117) 909 11 98
Email : helen@springdellclinic.co.uk

I had 5-6 laser treatments on my beard. After that, I was able to shave without much of a shadow (minus the hair on my chin), so the density went down quite a bit from what I had. I decided afterwards I really really wanted it all gone so I finished/am finishing with electrolysis right now. I think by treatment 3-4 I could start shaving without a shadow... it's been over a year though since my last facial laser treatment so it's hard to remember lol

#109421 - 09/28/13 02:10 PM Re: Laser beard removal for rare chronic folliculitis [Re: Brenton]
SeanaTG Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: The Great White North eh
Rickenbacker I've had 11 treatments, and still have considerable hair to remove with electrolysis. Laser will not get it all. Some people find little to no additional progress after 4-5 treatments others do. No matter what you will need to look at electrolysis after.My treatment experience wouldnt mean all that much to you, since you have a different skin type and will be treated with a different type of laser as a result. It's very difficult to compare apples and oranges. However yes expect skin to get worse at least initially before it gets better but it does get better.

The best I can use as a comparison, is imagine you need to clear two acres of vegetative growth. Laser is like taking a grader to remove it. You wont get ALL the green stuff, but you'll get most of it.Electrolysis is a bit like trying to do the two acres witha garden trowel. Yes you can get every single plant, but it's going to take you a LONG time.

Seana

#109422 - 09/28/13 02:13 PM Re: Laser beard removal for rare chronic folliculitis [Re: Brenton]
Rickenbacker15 Offline
Contributor

Brenton

Thanks for digging up the Electrologist recommendation, i will certainly be contacting her at some point even just for a consultation, i also found a website called "The British insitute & association of electrolysis" where there are 2 in my local area, which might be worth checking out.

I didn't know you had your beard done, thanks for sharing, how was the overall pattern after the 5-6 treatments? Any patchiness? Are you having electrolysis everywhere or just on the stubborn chin area?

I think if i can get to the point where my cheeks and neck area are sparse and thin, and only need shaving every few days or so without the shadow and without it looking "weird" when it starts to grow in - i will be a happy man.

Also, my moustache area is not affected by the folliculitis, and my goatee area only mildly, i'm wondering if the chin area could either be completely left, or only have 1-2 treatments as i would still like to have a small amount of facial hair.

I remember reading somewhere on here a guy who only has to shave his moustache and chin and takes him like 20 seconds, that would be really cool if i could achieve that.

I keep having second thoughts now and again, but i'm so depressed with the state of my face, and the fact i can never shave, and my confidence has really took a downturn, friends and family can tell it's really affecting me because i'm usually very confident and fun to be around, but my life now revolves around how my face looks, and like i said before - i have cancelled dates with potential girlfriends, not gone to fun events or weekends away with friends because of it.

So i think with all that - i'm making the right decision.

So glad i found this forum, thanks to everyone contributing!

Johnny

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Thermolysis on thick facial hair (+Photos)
by dfahey
Today at 01:26 AM
When Can I start and who to see In nj?
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 07:07 PM
Showing my work...
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 02:47 PM
My Skin Years After Last Session
by dj355
10/21/17 04:36 PM
prominent sebaceous glands: can hair removal help?
by Michael Bono
10/19/17 09:16 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9586
James W. Walker VII 8041
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3160
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 119 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod