Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#111076 - 12/07/13 04:34 AM Makeup After Electrolysis?
pphp Offline
Contributor

I'm going to start electrolysis in a week but am terrified of pitting and scars. I already have a hyperpigmented upper lip from excessive threading/tweezing, it looks like a dark mustache. I haven't tweezed for 6 months but the hyperpigmentation is still there, I'm praying it will heal once the hair is permanently removed.

I have to wear makeup on my upper lip, I don't have a choice since it literally looks like a black stash.

I will not wear makeup for around 20 hours after the appointment. However, I will have to wear it after. Has anyone done this and not have adverse reactions? I'm worried it will mess with the healing since the pores will be covered with makeup.

I really don't have any other options. I wanted to try laser hair removal but it will probably make the dark pigment even darker. Also I have PCOS and don't think laser would be as effective.

Are there serious side effects of wearing makeup after 20 hours? I will have to wear it almost all day everyday. I will be getting it done on my upper lip and chin. I only need to apply makeup to the upper lip.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thread Sponsors
#111079 - 12/07/13 07:38 AM Re: Makeup After Electrolysis? [Re: pphp]
emilily Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Sydney, Australia
If you have to do it make sure your hands and any tools you use are cleaned before you apply the makeup. Make sure that nothing contaminates your makeup, either. Just think of it as applying something to skin that is somewhat damaged - you need to keep the area as clean as possible.

smile I have worn tinted moisturiser probably 36 hours after a session (I usually have electrolysis in the evening, leave it for a day and then wear makeup to work the day after that.

Also, while you're getting electrolysis... get used to having hair on your upper lip. If you're worried about scarring and hyperpigmentation, your electrologist will probably not want to do long sessions on your upper lip. This coupled with the fact that you want the upper lip hair to be as long as possible means that you will be hairy!!
I haven't done anything except electrolysis on my upper lip for the last two months (been having electrolysis now for three months) and am going every fortnight to give the upper lip a chance to heal. So I'm pretty hairy. Sorry if it's TMI but just something to think about!! On the plus side, my skin has been really good between sessions!

Current (Apilus Platinum):
Chin, lip, sides: Starting 30/08/13 1420 minutes
Tummy: 1 hr 21/09, 1 hr 30/09/13, 1.5 13/01, 1.5 08/04, .5hr 26/06, 1 hr 17/11/14,.25 hr 09/03/15, .25 31/07/2015
Chest/underarm: 2 hr 12/10, 1 hr 21/10, 1.5 hours 12/12/13, 1.5hours 11/02, 1.5 08/05, .5hr 26/6, 1hr 05/08, 1hr 17/11/14, .75hr 09/03/15, .5hr 13/07/15

Most recent: 45mins 08/10/2015, 30mins 02/16, 1hr 24/06/16, 1hr 11/10/16, 45 mins 18/09/2017

#111082 - 12/07/13 12:49 PM Re: Makeup After Electrolysis? [Re: emilily]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
One reason I tell my clients to use Tea Tree and Aloe Vera is they help the skin recover quick enough to allow one to wear makeup in 24 hours, rather than 72 hours.

Ladies, please give the skin a rest.

putting makeup on after electrolysis is a great way to have adverse reactions that will cause long term issues. JUST DON'T DO IT!

I once had a woman get a really bad infection from contaminated makeup used just after an appointment, and all that week. She of course, blamed me for her skin problems that took 5 months to fully go away, even though I told her repeatedly to NOT PUT MAKEUP ON FOR 24 HOURS.

Go on and ignore me now.

#111152 - 12/12/13 06:11 AM Re: Makeup After Electrolysis? [Re: emilily]
pphp Offline
Contributor

Hi Emilily,

I will be sure to use clean tools and makeup. I've already grown my hair out for electrolysis, I trim it every morning. So far I'm encountering ingrowns b/c I trim too closely to the skin, but I have no choice b/c my hair literally grows by the end of the night. My electrolysis said the hair has to be long enough to be pulled out. I'm hoping that will just be a day's growth for me.

I'm not sure if I should be going every week or two weeks. My skin is so sensitive that it hyperpigments from the smallest disturbance. HATE IT. It's even dark in areas where my hair is very fair.

Thanks for your advice smile

#111153 - 12/12/13 06:16 AM Re: Makeup After Electrolysis? [Re: James W. Walker VII]
pphp Offline
Contributor

Hi James,

I definitely won't be wearing makeup for the first 20 hours. It is the time period after the 20 hours that I am concerned about. There is no way I can go out in public without makeup. My upper lip looks like it has a 5 o'clock shadow, actually worse than that.

My electrolysis said to use witch hazel and aloe vera and didn't mention tea tree oil. Do you recommend tea tree instead of witch hazel?

Also, have you ever come across a hyperpigmented upper lip and see it resolve over time? I am really freaking out. It's been 6 months since I stopped plucking and have not noticed any lightening. It's making me think that this is probably permanent discoloration. My dermatologist said it will take 2 years to fade but I would've thought to see some improvement by now.. It's literally all I think about frown

Thanks.

#111155 - 12/12/13 09:09 AM Re: Makeup After Electrolysis? [Re: James W. Walker VII]
beate_r Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Hattersheim, Germany
Originally Posted By: James W. Walker VII

putting makeup on after electrolysis is a great way to have adverse reactions that will cause long term issues. JUST DON'T DO IT!

Not always possible. For me it would have meant hiding in the chamber for half a week. I actually put on makeup as soon as there were no crusts, just swellings. Carefully cleaning the face of course.

I would not do that anymore, mainly because there are alternatives to using makeup, e.g. cream to cover akne pustules.
These (medical products!) are designed to bo worn on wound skin, hide the redness, and can even be used immediately after treatment. (The inflammation of an akne pustule is pretty similar to the inflammation caused by electrolysis). If the treatment was not too heavy, of course.

Elektroepilation Dr. Beate Ritzert
http://epi.ritzert.net/en/

#111156 - 12/12/13 12:37 PM Re: Makeup After Electrolysis? [Re: beate_r]
SeanaTG Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: The Great White North eh
You've been given REALLY good advice by two of the best around here.
The only think I would add, is that for most people with hyperpigmentation it DOES FADE. But it does take a very long time sometimes upwards of a year.That's with hyperpigmentation from electrolysis, we dont really have any idea how long you plucked or how extensive the hyperpigmentation is, but given time, it probably will fade too. Be patient. If possible, completely avoid makeup, but seek out some of the products Beate is discussing if that isnt possible.

Seana

#111157 - 12/12/13 01:40 PM Re: Makeup After Electrolysis? [Re: beate_r]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
While I would not expect anyone to spend a week hiding out from the world (it is the reason I developed the technique I use so that is not necessary) but 24 hours without make-up is something every woman can do. Just ask Heidi Clume. wink
Originally Posted By: beate_r
Originally Posted By: James W. Walker VII

Not always possible. For me it would have meant hiding in the chamber for half a week. I actually put on makeup as soon as there were no crusts, just swellings. Carefully cleaning the face of course.

I would not do that anymore, mainly because there are alternatives to using makeup, e.g. cream to cover akne pustules.
These (medical products!) are designed to bo worn on wound skin, hide the redness, and can even be used immediately after treatment. (The inflammation of an akne pustule is pretty similar to the inflammation caused by electrolysis). If the treatment was not too heavy, of course.

#111222 - 12/16/13 05:25 AM Re: Makeup After Electrolysis? [Re: SeanaTG]
pphp Offline
Contributor

Hi Seana,

Yes, I'm grateful that two of the best responded to my question.

I had my trial today and felt some tugging when the hairs were removed. I'm a little worried that they may not be treated properly. My electrologist is being conservative b/c of the hyperpigmentation, but I'm concerned that the settings may be too low. We are using thermolysis.

I really hope the hyperpigmentation fades. It has taken over my life, to the point where I cry myself to sleep at times. It's so hard to deal with.

Thanks for your feedback.

Edited by pphp (12/16/13 05:26 AM)

#111230 - 12/16/13 01:21 PM Re: Makeup After Electrolysis? [Re: pphp]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
People come to me with horrible hyperpigmentation because of what they were doing to their face before electrolysis was even started. The best thing to do is to go forward, get the hair removed, without tugging and once the hair is removed, the skin will heal fine, in most cases. It may take several months to a year, but it fades. If the hyperpig is deep in the dermis, extra help maybe needed.

Initially, if hair is in the shape of a "U" or "S", there may be some resistance in the first clearing for some hair. Blend can be used for these weird shaped hairs or thermolysis can be can still be effective, if insertions are directed correctly. If the hair follicle is not completely destroyed, on the first go around, then make sure that you keep appointments timed so that when the new hair comes in about 6-16 weeks later, that you are getting it treated when it is a fragile hair. New hair starts out as being straight in the follicle, so getting it treated at that stage, before it starts getting curvy, is a helpful strategy.

If you are prone to hyperpigmentation and you need hair removed, don't freak out about this happening to you. It usually resolves nicely over time. Using cold aloe vera gel or cold compresses immediately after and for a few days helps to calm this down. If you can't accept some hyperpig, then refrain from getting electrolysis or using any temporary hair removal method, or getting bug bites or abrasions or acne.....etc.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Hairtell restructuration needed
by dimi
9 minutes 55 seconds ago
Most natural looking hair removal method
by Iluv2zap
Today at 12:27 PM
men shaving legs??
by tyndn
Today at 08:56 AM
Current Laser/IPL Models
by tyndn
Today at 08:50 AM
Advice for customers.
by Michael Bono
Today at 02:22 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9611
James W. Walker VII 8050
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3184
Who's Online
0 registered (), 88 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod