Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#111286 - 12/20/13 04:18 AM DESPERATE! please advise :(
Ali1987 Offline
Contributor

[img:center]http:// [/img]

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and I need advice badly! Due to genetics I suffer from chin hair. Pretty much you can call it a very low beard because its so much now. When I was a teenager I had a few hairs and unfortunately I made it worse by tweezing and I shaved once. The hair bothers me a lot but what's worse to be is the severe hyperpigmentation from ingrown hairs. I tried laser and while it did reduced the hair that was there, it also stimulate more growth. I set an appointment with a "very good" electrolysist and I just wanna ask you guys first if I should do a chemical peel first with and then electrolysis or vice versa. Once and for all I wanna get rid of the scars and be makeup free. Rest of my skin is very good and it just kills me that my chin look so terrible.

Edited by Ali1987 (12/20/13 04:19 AM)

Thread Sponsors
#111291 - 12/20/13 01:45 PM Re: DESPERATE! please advise :( [Re: Ali1987]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
If you look up poster ORANGECODE here on Hairtell , she had a similar problem. I worked on her for about 18 months and we still communicate with each other. She is my "adopted" daughter!

I would start electrolysis, get the hair removed permanently and then work with the dermotologist to fix the hyperpigmentation. You can be helped. It is not going to be faster than 18 months and it won't be easy, but you can be helped if you stuck with it. On my particular client, all her hair was removed permanently with PicoFlash thermolysis. For all the naysayers who protest that thermolysis cannot disable tough hair like this, well, IT DID! Just ask ORANGECODE . Other modalities will work, too, so find an Electrologist that is comfortable with the modality she / he does best.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#111310 - 12/21/13 02:58 AM Re: DESPERATE! please advise :( [Re: dfahey]
C O'Connell Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Sydney,Australia
This pigmentation will reduce considerably once tweezing ceases. We see amazing skin transformations over the months of treatments. You will probably notice a slight change at around the 3 month mark, and on completion you may be quite happy with your skins, condition. I am happy that you are now on the right path and look forward to some updates. A happy,hairless new year to you!!!

#111318 - 12/21/13 02:22 PM Re: DESPERATE! please advise :( [Re: C O'Connell]
WeRNotAfraid Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Dallas
(Cosmetologist here.) It's difficult to do chemical peels on darker skin because they can sometimes cause either darkening (treatable) or a loss of pigment (much more serious.) Hyperpigmentation is a response to inflammation, so creating yet more via peels, microdermabrasion, etc can sometimes make things worse. I agree that you should undergo the electrolysis first and worry about the pigmentation later. There are prescription creams you can get from the doctor that contain skin bleach and an anti-inflammatory that work great for cases like this, but I would save it for after your hair removal is mostly finished because it can make the skin more sensitive.

Good luck!

#111331 - 12/22/13 01:11 AM Re: DESPERATE! please advise :( [Re: WeRNotAfraid]
Ali1987 Offline
Contributor

Thank you guys so much! I saw the electrolysist today and she told me that its best that I do the electrolysis first and chemical peel later down the road. She did say the pigment would go away so I might not need the chemical peel anyway down the road. She also said I have a lot of hair and that they are close together. She recommend that I do hour a week for 3-4 months and then 30 minutes for 2 weeks for at least 6 months. This is gonna be solo expensive for me because its $110 for 1 hour and $55 for 30 minutes. I wanna cry so bad because I wanna do this but don't know how I'm gonna do this every week. She also recommend that I see an endocrinologist just in case. My gyno checked for Pcos prior and it came back negative. This is all so depressing to me because I'm getting serious with a guy I've been dating and I don't know how his reaction is gonna be to see my chin without makeup frown

#111332 - 12/22/13 01:12 AM Re: DESPERATE! please advise :( [Re: Ali1987]
Ali1987 Offline
Contributor

I'm actually gonna check out orange code now! smile I need all the motivation I can get now.

#111338 - 12/22/13 02:38 PM Re: DESPERATE! please advise :( [Re: Ali1987]
Ali1987 Offline
Contributor

I have another question, is there anyway I can suggest to the electrolysis on where to start? I really want her to clear my jaw area first in the first month and focus under my chin next. I work in the bank as a customer service rep so I interact with people face to face EVERYDAY. What do you guys think?

#111339 - 12/22/13 02:42 PM Re: DESPERATE! please advise :( [Re: Ali1987]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I ask my clients before every appointment, where do they want me to start. I think it would be more than fine to make your request and she would appreciate your input.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#111342 - 12/22/13 11:27 PM Re: DESPERATE! please advise :( [Re: dfahey]
Arlene R. Batz, CPE Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York City - Queens
Hi Ali. I am a skin care therapist who also happens to administer electrolysis and I often see clients who present with a similar situation to yours.

Although you choose to wait for the professional treatments that will address the hyperpigmentation, for the dark skin that reacts to tissue trauma, such as your, I suggest you begin an at home gentle exfoliation regimen.

Find a gentle exfoliant that contains lactic acid. Look for this ingredient and make sure it is listed close to the top of the ingredient listing.

Tissue buildup will flatten, ingrown hairs will come up closer to the surface. Your skin will more likely look better, faster.

Later, down the road, after several months of electrolysis, you might find that those chemical peels might not even be needed.

All the best,

#111348 - 12/23/13 11:12 AM Re: DESPERATE! please advise :( [Re: Arlene R. Batz, CPE]
Ali1987 Offline
Contributor

Thank you Arlene! I will definitely try that.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Feeling tired after electrolysis sessions
by Michael Bono
35 minutes 46 seconds ago
Journey of a young French lady
by adrien_sanchiz
Today at 07:34 AM
should i continue laser hair removal?
by skydivingjess
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
prominent sebaceous glands: can hair removal help?
by Michael Bono
10/16/17 10:59 PM
Electrolysis and Hydroquinone
by Arlene R. Batz, CPE
10/15/17 06:16 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9586
James W. Walker VII 8041
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3157
Who's Online
0 registered (), 102 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod