Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#112610 - 02/25/14 06:59 PM Re: Hirsutism, best hair removal method?? [Re: Brenton]
Helen1983 Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Pricing I simply refereed to electrolysis having to take the hairs out individually rather than laser being able to treat more hairs at a time. I'm sure it would take hours to remove hairs from legs back under arms apose to the amount of time this could be done with laser, however like you said its only permanent reduction not removal. I was only offering the questioner what I would do which is laser on body hair and electrolysis on facial and around nipple hair everyone has their own opinion no one should push an opinion on anyone and the questioner will read everything that people have put and go away and hopefully make the right choice for them.

Sponsored Links
#112611 - 02/25/14 07:07 PM Re: Hirsutism, best hair removal method?? [Re: Brenton]
adrien_sanchiz Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: Brenton
I didn't maintain that it does the same. I'm well aware that laser can not remove 100% of the hair (and is the ONLY reason that it is deemed "reduction" instead of "removal" -- it's more legal semantics than anything.) That has been well-established. You still have yet to explain what "better" means. Electrolysis is a MUCH greater time commitment than laser in terms of treatment time. Tell me how when her electrologist is working on her face that she's going to get reduction on her arms and legs. That's why I suggest for her to do both. So you need to stop and read what I write before you put words in my mouth.

When I read that sentence : "What does "better" mean if they're both permanently removing hair?" I understand that you wanted to say that laser is permanent hair removal method as electrolysis.
If I misunderstood, I would like you explain me please.

Why I consider electrolysis better ? Simply because electrolysis is 100% permanent smile

You right, when an electrologist is doing the face, he or she can not do the legs in the same time. I know that an electrologist is not the reincarnation of the god Shiva.
But the next day, after doing the face, the electrologist can do the legs, that's a miracle, isn't-it ?

#112612 - 02/25/14 07:18 PM Re: Hirsutism, best hair removal method?? [Re: adrien_sanchiz]
Brenton Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: SoCal
What do I mean by better? Here's an example:

http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/81552/Re_Electrolysis_on_male_legs_i.html

That would take 50-70 hours for a first clearance. Let's assume 50 hours, then 50 x $70/hour = $3500 for a first clearance.

I pay $350 per laser session with leg, so if we follow what I got, he would have ~80% reduction after 6 sessions, each session being 45 mins - 1 hour. So $350 x 6 = $2100.

So in comparison:

Electrolysis: $3500 for first clearance at 50 hours of treatment
Laser: $2100 for 80% reduction in 5-6 hours of treatment

So for this example, yes I would say laser is better. When I mean better, I'm talking about in cost-effectiveness and efficacy.

And Helen, I was not pushing my opinion on you. I was correcting something you stated as factual when it was indeed false. In fact, I agree with your opinion about the areas she should treat with each type of equipment

Edited by Brenton (02/25/14 07:23 PM)

#112614 - 02/25/14 07:39 PM Re: Hirsutism, best hair removal method?? [Re: Brenton]
adrien_sanchiz Offline
Top 20 Contributor

80% reduction in 5-6 sessions... if only you were right ! Unfortunatly, for only few people your pattern function. For the others, they paid lot of money in laser treatment thinking is permanent (which mean, no new growth), and if they stop the tratment after 10 or more treatment, they get hair almost as before the treatment, after 1 or 2 years. (the lukiest after 5 years).

Because I am not english speaker, it is a little hard to explain what I would like to explain. Sorry about it.

I don't say laser is not good. I do laser on my beard you know. But the only important thing is to tell people that laser is not 100% permanent, that's all.

If you just want a reduction, in this case Brenton laser is a good treatment.

#112615 - 02/25/14 07:50 PM Re: Hirsutism, best hair removal method?? [Re: adrien_sanchiz]
Brenton Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: SoCal
Quote:
if only you were right ! Unfortunatly, for only few people your pattern function

That is true and one of the biggest reasons is because places will not put the power high enough to cause permanent destruction of the follicles. I don't know of any laser technician who has said that laser will remove 100% of the hair, but I suppose there are some out there who claim it.

It's also common to use laser to clear out a large bulk of hair, and then finish with electrolysis. That's my preferred method

#112616 - 02/25/14 08:01 PM Re: Hirsutism, best hair removal method?? [Re: Brenton]
adrien_sanchiz Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Originally Posted By: Brenton

It's also common to use laser to clear out a large bulk of hair, and then finish with electrolysis. That's my preferred method

Ok, that is clear.

#112620 - 02/25/14 10:10 PM Re: Hirsutism, best hair removal method?? [Re: adrien_sanchiz]
Helen1983 Offline
Top 20 Contributor

I suppose the 80% comment all comes down to who is doing the treatment just like electrolysis you need a skilled worker to get the best results

#113991 - 06/05/14 01:49 AM Re: Hirsutism, best hair removal method?? [Re: Helen1983]
Lilo Offline

Loc: Indiana
I have PCOS and very significant hair on my face, chin, and neck. I'm 48 and for years I have been plucking and shaving. Because the hair grows so quickly, I would have to shave in the morning before work and then late in the afternoon. Shaving my face did lots of damage to my skin. About 2 months ago, after watching some YouTube videos, I bought a rotating epilator. I use the epilator (a Panasonic Wet/Dry) in the shower. It doesn't get all of the hairs, so I shave after finishing with the epilator. I am THRILLED with the result. My skin is no longer irritated and feels very smooth. I only have to shave a little, and it doesn't damage the skin at all. I look like a girl again, which feels fantastic. As for the pain, the first time was a little painful, but now it's not bad at all. There just a slight sting as it plucks the hairs, and with the hot water opening the pores, it's not bad.

I tried laser hair removal in 2002, and it was very expensive. It required me to let the hair grow, which was nearly impossible as a working professional (dark brown hair and very pale skin - very noticeable). At the end of each laser session, I smelled like burnt flesh, and I had scabs on several hair follicles. At some point, I may try electrolysis or laser (I'm not sure what the difference is), hoping that there have been advancements in the past 12 years.

Best of luck to you. I'm very happy with the epilator.

#113993 - 06/05/14 04:39 AM Re: Hirsutism, best hair removal method?? [Re: Lilo]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I'm glad you found a satisfying combo way of removing your hair. In the long run, this will not serve you well, so please start researching electrologists in or near your area and start a special savings fund for electrolysis.

Regarding your laser experience, laser should not be performed on hair that has grown out. You need to shave before the treatment is started so all that good energy is not absorbed by the surface hair. All the thermal action should take place below the skin.

ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Perspective/Feedback Needed- Thanks!
by yb
Today at 01:50 AM
hairs break off during treatment
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Over the counter numbing cream
by fenix
Yesterday at 09:36 PM
Any comments about Cabelo Electrolysis in Canada?
by Ton
07/25/17 01:47 PM
In need of some feedback
by Iluv2zap
07/23/17 05:39 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9521
James W. Walker VII 8028
Andrea 4146
Michael Bono 3094
Who's Online
0 registered (), 111 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod