Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#112909 - 03/14/14 11:24 AM Question RE: hyperpigmentation (Maybe to Josefa?) *
LDLD Offline
Top 20 Contributor

So I posted this pic of my PIH recently:

When I look at each 'dot' I notice the center is like a dark eschar.

I can't seem to get it out though. I know I should leave it alone and let it slough off - but it's been this was since the 28th of January (so a month and a half).

These black dots seem like at part of my since rather than crusts/eschars.

Is it possible that electrolysis, at insertion points, can leave these pinpoint black marks permanently?

I want to stress that I hyperpigmentation in my skin is never black. It's dark brown.

These black spots don't seem like PIH...

Thread Sponsors
#112911 - 03/14/14 02:13 PM Re: Question RE: hyperpigmentation (Maybe to Josefa?) [Re: LDLD]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
First of all, an “eschar” is a scab that forms as the result of a burn. This is, indeed, the proper term for post-treatment electrolysis crusts. Well done! However, these cannot last any more than, say, a week to 10 days (in the extreme).

What I’m seeing in your photo is “classic” hyperpigmentation. Two months is not enough time for these marks to disappear. If you have any doubt, consult a dermatologist.

These marks are not going to slough-off, because new pigment is being made and will continue to be made for the next several months. These marks are not “laying on the surface,” they are being generated and will continue to be produced (by the inflammation-stimulated melanocytes).

Actually, the pigment IS being sloughed off daily (as old epidermal cells "die"), but NEW pigment is being made and “injected” into the fresh basal cells (epidermis) every day too! The process is “on-going” until the healing is complete: technically, a year to 18 months for FULL healing … (Although the skin looks totally healed-up in a few weeks. It’s not.)

Can PIH be permanent? In rare cases yes, but the injury is generally much more severe that ANY electrolysis treatment can deliver at ANY level. I have NEVER seen PIH NOT resolve completely (from electrolysis). Permanent PIH sometimes happens when the dermis is burned away; impossible with electrolysis. But even in these extreme cases, the PIH becomes less visible in time.

If this is bothering you, consult with a dermatologist (or a qualified esthetician) and get a product (cream) that will lessen the appearance of the PIH until it resolves on it’s own (6-months or so). Such products are very effective. Get a product with “sun screen” in it, as sun exposure will darken the PIH. You will have to use this product daily for a few months.

If you want, I will give you a guarantee that your PIH will go away … I’ll even “sign it in blood!” tee hee

#112913 - 03/14/14 02:45 PM Re: Question RE: hyperpigmentation (Maybe to Josefa?) [Re: Michael Bono]
Deedra Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: United States
Dee Dee is thinking : (I have got to put this explanation somewhere prominent here on Hairtell. We get a lot of posts about hyperpigmentation concerns.)

Licensed by the State Medical Board of Ohio for Cosmetic Therapy/Electrolysis and the State Nursing Board of Ohio

#112915 - 03/14/14 02:50 PM Re: Question RE: hyperpigmentation (Maybe to Josefa?) [Re: ]
SeanaTG Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: The Great White North eh
See,I always knew Michael was the devil. He's signing contracts in blood now!

Seana

#112918 - 03/14/14 02:54 PM Re: Question RE: hyperpigmentation (Maybe to Josefa?) [Re: SeanaTG]
Deedra Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Ha! Ha! He's a good devil with a halo.

Licensed by the State Medical Board of Ohio for Cosmetic Therapy/Electrolysis and the State Nursing Board of Ohio

#112920 - 03/14/14 03:31 PM Re: Question RE: hyperpigmentation (Maybe to Josefa?) [Re: ]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

So, why do you think I really wear a toupee?

(To hide the horns!) tee hee

#112921 - 03/14/14 03:43 PM Re: Question RE: hyperpigmentation (Maybe to Josefa?) [Re: Michael Bono]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

To the OP ... here's another way to get a feeling for this.

Consider that you were on the French Riviera for the whole summer and got the deepest tan you’ve ever had. Now, you go home and in a few weeks you start worrying why the tan is not going away. You don’t seem to be able to “wash it off.”

Well, your PIH from electrolysis is beyond the deepest tan you could ever get, and it’s caused by the on-going healing skin (inflammation). It would almost be like continuing to go out it the sun and wondering why you still had a deep tan.

Once the stimulation subsides, the melanocytes settle down and the pigmentation is history.

#112928 - 03/14/14 11:49 PM Re: Question RE: hyperpigmentation (Maybe to Josefa?) [Re: LDLD]
depilacionelectr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: LDLD
So I posted this pic of my PIH recently:

When I look at each 'dot' I notice the center is like a dark eschar.

I can't seem to get it out though. I know I should leave it alone and let it slough off - but it's been this was since the 28th of January (so a month and a half).

These black dots seem like at part of my since rather than crusts/eschars.

Is it possible that electrolysis, at insertion points, can leave these pinpoint black marks permanently?

I want to stress that I hyperpigmentation in my skin is never black. It's dark brown.

These black spots don't seem like PIH...

What body part is this? looks like the inside of the arm at the elbow joint. This is an area of "high risk". Since this skin is very thin, additional precautions should be taken.

#112930 - 03/15/14 01:19 AM Re: Question RE: hyperpigmentation (Maybe to Josefa?) [Re: ]
Deedra Offline

Top 10 Contributor

( Yes, Josefa, it is the inside of the arm)

#112936 - 03/15/14 03:51 PM Re: Question RE: hyperpigmentation (Maybe to Josefa?) [Re: ]
LDLD Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Hi Josefa, yep it's the inside of the arm.

I explained to my electrologist that the skin her might be extra susceptible to PIH.

She agreed, but at the time I had the area treated, I believe she used the same energy level as with all my other arm areas.

I regret not knowing about this when I had this area treated. (Although, I assumed if any such issues might present themselves, the electrologist will take precautionary measures).

I think for now, I'll just have to wait and see if they fade.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Pro-Tec Probes Recommendations for Apilus
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Unwanted hair - help/advice!
by EUGuy
Yesterday at 04:27 PM
PCOS over-diagnosed
by Michael Bono
Yesterday at 04:19 PM
Apilus Platinum Pur for Sale
by laraisk
10/19/18 09:14 AM
Something wrong
by blueberry
10/18/18 09:11 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
Deedra 9726
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4158
Michael Bono 3515
Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod