Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#113150 - 03/29/14 07:16 AM Facial Hair - SW Virginia?
justkeepswimming Offline

Pre-EVERYTHING, totally closeted to everyone but two friends and my partner with whom I cohabit. Live in the bible belt in southwestern Virginia. Have a steady job and a stable home. Mid-twenties. Need to pursue facial hair removal over the next year with a practitioner as close to me as possible that will not freak out if they find out what's going on. Plan to move away to another state next year and want to have as much facial work done before then in order to go full time once I move away from this horrible area. Have searched online for months and cannot seem to find listings for electrologists that are competent (experienced with removing mass amounts of male facial hair), transfriendly, and local to me. I might be a good candidate for laser, and if there are absolutely no feasible options in my area for electrolysis I would consider it just to clear my face, but I'd rather go with the permanent solution as quickly as possible.

Please advise with any possible solutions. Personal experience would be appreciated. Thank you so much for participating in this forum and reading this cry for help.

Sponsored Links
#113154 - 03/29/14 03:37 PM Re: Facial Hair - SW Virginia? [Re: justkeepswimming]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
I just read your post "swimmer.”

I'm going to give you a BIG WARNING! Do NOT JUMP into anything without careful research! I have a client coming in (actually from Virginia) that spent $5,000 on electrolysis and got nothing. And this from a self-described super-electrologist.

Here’s what you want to see:

1) Photos of real work (in progress if possible), NOT just “testimonials” (testimonials mean absolutely nothing!)

2) Actual hours of what the electrologist required to cause full beard removal on other clients (70 hours? 200 hours? 400 hours? You get the idea.

3) Under NO circumstances EVER pre-pay ANYONE the full amount of your proposed treatment hours. When you pre-pay, you have just given up all your RIGHTS.

In 40 years, I have never required “pre-payment” and I have never been cheated by any client (and there have been thousands of clients)!

I suppose a “deposit” is acceptable (I don’t do it), but FULL payment? What if you get there and the electrolysis “stinks?” Then what? Demanding a full payment = “SCALAWAG!” he he he

Over-and-over I have seen that desperate clients get in trouble by “believing in miracles” and then JUMPING into a treatment … and usually spending a small fortune for NO RESULTS!

Do your research, and when you think you have the answer … do MORE research and get reassurances from the proposed therapist. (Oh, and forget about laser for your beard!)

#113155 - 03/29/14 04:42 PM Re: Facial Hair - SW Virginia? [Re: Michael Bono]
depilacionelectr
Unregistered

Great tips.

I've never demanded anything that could be considered pre-payment. Not even when the customer has booked 3 full weeks of my time. Nobody who has booked several days or several weeks has stopped coming to the appointment. I had only two cancellations and they canceled more than one month before the scheduled date due to compelling reasons, such as health problems or work.

#113156 - 03/29/14 06:21 PM Re: Facial Hair - SW Virginia? [Re: ]
Brenton Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: San Diego
Karin M. Lynch, CPE, CLT
6720 Commerce Street
Springfield, VA. 22150
Phone : (571) 228-1974
Email: klynch937@aol.com
"I treat all clients." and "I do laser hair removal, electrolysis and all types of skin care. I have several TG clients."

Maureen Schantz, CPE
Alternative Health Associates
215 N. Washington St.
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone : (703) 683-5736
Email: maureenschantz@aol.com
"I have been treating Transgendered clients for 25 years. I provide electrolysis and laser hair removal services and also skin care."

Bertie Overton, CPE
408 Oakmears Crescent, #101
Virginia Beach, VA. 23462
Phone : (757) 497-2997
Email: beoverton@cox.net
"I do treat Transgendered clients and have had several in the past."

Rita 
Electrolysis by Rita
4323 Tillman Drive
Virginia Beach, VA. 23452
Phone : (757) 962-3767
Email: verrita757@aol.com
Accepts Transgendered Clients Hours : 8A - 9P 7 days a week Galvanic, Blend, and Thermolysis modalities

Elaine Pristouris Electrologist
NV Electrolysis & Laser Center
386 Maple Ave East, Suite 110
Vienna, VA. 22180
Phone : (703) 537-0310
Cell : (202) 674-2393
Email : laser.nvec@gmail.com
Men & Women are Welcome! "I offer: 50% off first Electrolysis Appointment. Discounts on Laser Packages. Electrolysis Prices: 15 min $30. 20 min $40. 30 min $45. 45 min $61. 60 min $76."

Monique T. Burghart, LPN, PE, MA, NA.
JustSmart Electrology Studio LLC
The Executive Building
4936 Cleveland Street, #106
Virginia Beach, VA. 23462
Phone : (757) 718-5294
Email : nurse4angels@yahoo.com

ere's a list of tg friendly electrologists in Virginia. I have no idea who's close to you, but all of them have been used by people transitioning:

#113164 - 03/30/14 09:43 AM Re: Facial Hair - SW Virginia? [Re: Brenton]
justkeepswimming Offline

Thanks to all who participated, but unfortunately this does not really get me going. The listings which were mentioned are all 4-5 hours from me - there would be no feasible way of going to them on even a weekly basis, especially since I'm still paying off a used car which is in bad condition and isn't really safe to drive more than an hour away. As far as the notes on doing my research, they are great and very helpful, but if there's no one near me to research in the first place, I don't know what to do.

Edited by justkeepswimming (03/30/14 09:46 AM)

#113165 - 03/30/14 09:47 AM Re: Facial Hair - SW Virginia? [Re: justkeepswimming]
emilily Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Maybe give a better indication of your location?

Current (Apilus Platinum):
Chin, lip, sides: Starting 30/08/13 1420 minutes
Tummy: 1 hr 21/09, 1 hr 30/09/13, 1.5 13/01, 1.5 08/04, .5hr 26/06, 1 hr 17/11/14,.25 hr 09/03/15, .25 31/07/2015
Chest/underarm: 2 hr 12/10, 1 hr 21/10, 1.5 hours 12/12/13, 1.5hours 11/02, 1.5 08/05, .5hr 26/6, 1hr 05/08, 1hr 17/11/14, .75hr 09/03/15, .5hr 13/07/15

Most recent: 45mins 08/10/2015, 30mins 02/16, 1hr 24/06/16, 1hr 11/10/16

#113166 - 03/30/14 11:50 AM Re: Facial Hair - SW Virginia? [Re: emilily]
justkeepswimming Offline

Thank you, but I really do not feel safe being any more specific than I have been already (Southwestern Virginia, 4-5 hours away from any of the locations listed in the thread). I never release my location to others online.

#113169 - 03/30/14 02:15 PM Re: Facial Hair - SW Virginia? [Re: justkeepswimming]
Brenton Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: San Diego
Then perhaps you need to travel to another state. Perhaps this is closer:

North Buncombe Electrolysis
Weaverville, NC.
Phone : (828) 645-4601

Otherwise, start here: http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/91/1/Virginia.html

Pick some close to you and give them a test run

#113170 - 03/30/14 02:57 PM Re: Facial Hair - SW Virginia? [Re: Brenton]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
I’m currently working on an article (exposé) about the “desperate patient” and how they get ripped-off by the unscrupulous (or just rotten operators). This article will eventually show-up on my website and is based on four real-life experiences of “in-a-hurry, gotta do this now” clients. Photos too!

Nobody ever died from too much hair!

If you cannot find the perfect place that offers you some semblance of a guarantee (money back is best), don’t do it! Think about this possibility: you spend $10,000 and get zero results!

Real-world clients in my article? One spent $12,000 (laser); one spent $10,000 (electrolysis), one (TG) spent $8,000 (electrolysis) on her neck and got ZERO results! Another lost $6,000 pre-paid and didn’t get her money back after being unable to finish.

Maybe wait until you move out of State? YES! Attitudes are much different in different States! Quality of electrology is also not universal. Give it a break, take your time and forget about being “in a hurry!”

Oh yeah, and PLEASE take it easy on that UPPER LIP! A mangled upper lip is NOT a very feminine appearance! That upper lip MUST be perfect … like you were born without hair. It’s a focal point of the face and RUSHING to get the hair off can lead to disaster! Work only with an expert who knows what’s she’s doing!

(THANKS Brenton for helping in this situation! Please, talk to others, like Brenton, who have tons of real-life experience and are so willing to share!)

Edited by Michael Bono (03/30/14 02:59 PM)

#113172 - 03/30/14 04:08 PM Re: Facial Hair - SW Virginia? [Re: Michael Bono]
SeanaTG Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: The Great White North eh
Michael I'm going to semi-disagree on one point.

Yes, you are absolutely correct that "being in a hurry" can lead one to bad treatment and that one should take their time, evaluate the electrologist to ensure good and effective treatment.This is something we at hairtell can and should be able to help with

HOWEVER this person still should begin hair removal as quickly as possible and make as much progress as they are able to before they start any transition. It is something you will hear transgender people repeat over and over again when they talk about regrets..Not beginning hair removal as much in advance of transition as is possible. "Waiting another year " is NOT an option and makes all the difference in self confidence when they do begin hormone treatment and other transition steps. It really is that important to them. So are you right that they should seek out the best and most effective treatment possible? Absolutely, with no compromise. But I definitely understand their desire to make this happen as soon as they can, and it is a realistic goal.There are qualified electrologists in this persons area that can do a fantastic job, but we need a better answer than "wait until you move to another state" at which point hey are presenting on a daily basis and excess facial hair outs them in their preplanned new environment.

@ Justkeepswimming Michael has some good advice on finding someone qualified. He's 100% correct that you shouldnt compromise on quality of treatment. What you may find though is you get better referrals if there is a transgender support group nearby and you attend one. Not being familiar with Virginia I'm not sure what is in your area. I have a document produced by Catherie Mateo for reddit you can access here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6643...t%20Clinics.pdf
It lists Informed consent clinics for both Virginia and North Carolina many of which are planned parentlhood clinics, and will surely have references for Support groups, and possibly electrologists as well. Hopefully this will provide you with access to many more resources than just hair removal.

And, might I say congratulations on being able to identify for yourself an end goal and be at peace with your transition. Being sure of your decision is 99% of the process, the rest is just taking the steps to make it happen. Keep being you and be at peace with yourself.

Seana

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
The 'tweezing' sensation
by dfahey
Today at 09:22 PM
Your opinion on GentleLase for hands/fingers?
by dimi
Today at 04:10 PM
electrolysis on penis
by fenix
Yesterday at 06:03 PM
Electrolysis London?
by Lily-May
05/27/17 06:37 AM
A lack of planning on your part...
by Iluv2zap
05/26/17 08:57 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9482
James W. Walker VII 8027
Andrea 4146
Michael Bono 3082
Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod