Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#117433 - 02/27/15 02:59 PM Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning!
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
I ordered and I'm now reviewing a book called "Electrolysis Exam Secrets" a study guide and test review for the Certified Professional Electrologist (CPE) exam (Mometrix, Inc.).

I have only looked at the thing here and there. However, there are horrible errors in nearly every paragraph! Honestly were a person to buy this thing; they would probably do WORSE on the CPE exam.

Clearly the person that put this together knows zero about our field. They have gotten hold of a couple (out dated) books and misinterpreted the out-dated material.

Here are three statements in only three paragraphs:

1) High frequencies should not be used on the facial area. (Page 74)

2) " [with the blend, DC] can cause tissue fragments back upwards resulting in skin lesions, trapping of gasses in the follicle ... where galvanic is performed first." (Page 75 ... no sense to this statement at all")

3) Pre-shaving ... is the desired effect since it is impossible to prevent re-growth during the resting telogen stage. (Page 75)

They talk about "rheostats" controlling the HF. I don't think rheostats have been used since the 1980s?

THIS BOOK SHOULD COME WITH A WARNING! If the association wants me to, I will write a critique of this silly twaddle.

WARNING ... this book will screw you up and is of no value whatsoever.

Thread Sponsors
#117434 - 02/27/15 04:18 PM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: Michael Bono]
depilacionelectr
Unregistered

This means that thanks to this guide you will be a Certified Poor Electrologist? he he

Sorry, I could not help it.

#117442 - 02/28/15 04:40 PM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: ]
depilacionelectr
Unregistered

Hi Michael, I remember that you said you had collaborated in the writing of texts for access to CPE? if so, where I can get it? I'm really not interested in the examination, or the certificate. Only in the text.

#117443 - 02/28/15 04:49 PM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: ]
adrien_sanchiz Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Loc: France, Spain
I am interesting to the text too because I would like to study electrolysis. It will be great if I could get access to these texts.

#117444 - 02/28/15 08:04 PM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: adrien_sanchiz]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

You can purchase the CPE book from the AEA ... $65.00.

I have the newest copy and it's quite excellent. You will not, however, learn how to do electrolysis from the book.

The CPE book will also guide you to some other useful books. (However, they don't mention a few books that would be very useful ... if you actually want to learn this practice.)

#117445 - 02/28/15 09:05 PM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: Michael Bono]
depilacionelectr
Unregistered

I thought it was an "unpublished" text by you.

In this case, thanks, but I'm not interested in buying this guide.

#117446 - 02/28/15 09:29 PM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: ]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

If I remember correctly, the CPE book did have an article or so that I wrote. However, since I no longer have the "CPE credential," my contributions were deleted (and my books not mentioned as "recommended").

If you are an electrologist, but not a CPE, you cannot speak or write for the group. It's the rule.

All of this is fine and I support their idea to some degree.

Still, none of my work is for anything except for the CLIENT (first and foremost) ... and also for the actual working electrologist. I'm only hopeful that something I have learned along the way, and written about, can be helpful to my fellow electrologists AND my fellow hairy "brothers and sisters."

The reason that I'm still (and only) here on Hairtell is that the owner has the correct idea: information for everyone ... all for free and in a totally open forum.

Censorship, or preferential treatment ... whatever the rationale ... never really works and is the basis of all authoritarian entities that eventually fail.

#117448 - 03/01/15 03:11 AM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: adrien_sanchiz]
Deedra Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: United States
Here! Here! Hip! Hip! to your words, Michael.

Originally Posted By: Maiakochka
I am interesting to the text too because I would like to study electrolysis. It will be great if I could get access to these texts.

Maiakochka,

I see you are from France. Can you describe what electrolysis is like in France? Who can do electrolysis there? What are the training programs like? How long? Where do people go to get good electrolysis care? Anything you can tell me about it would be most helpful.

Licensed by the State Medical Board of Ohio for Cosmetic Therapy/Electrolysis and the State Nursing Board of Ohio

#117449 - 03/01/15 07:37 AM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: ]
adrien_sanchiz Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Loc: France, Spain
Yes indeed, I am French. Actually in France a law from 1962 said that only physicians are allowed to remove hair with other methods wich are not wax and plucking. Namely only physicians (dermatologists) can perform electrolysis in France, according to the law.

However, as I know there is absolutely not electrolysis training program here. I don't have a clue where French dermatologists (only few because the big majority prefer performing laser...) are learning and practicing electrolysis because electrolysis training doesn't exist in medecin university.

Thus, that is the French paradox : only physicians can perform electrolysis here but if they do wrong, it is not a problem... (I am thinking about the clinic du Mantois near to Paris)

So I decided to register in the Institute of Malaga and I am going to practice electrolysis with Josefa. Moreover this Institute can give me a diploma wich is recognized in all European Union (except France as you understand).

#117450 - 03/01/15 10:27 AM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: adrien_sanchiz]
Deedra Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: United States
Good thing I was lying down when I read this. Incredible.

The short video I saw a while back of a person doing electrolysis in France made me cringe. The poor patient was being fried like an egg. Good thing I was sitting down then when I saw it. It was that bad.

Being that they tax the hell out of their citizens there, you would think they would want to create more taxpayers by allowing non-physicians to perform electrolysis. I heard the French are hairy people, so there would be a huge market to tap.

Maybe you could lobby the lawmakers to re-think this insanely stupid law. As it stands now, if you are hairy, you better be married to a dermatologist that performs electrolysis well. (I'm laughing when I say that because it sounds like there are none.)

I asked the question above because I have been contacted by a person from Paris asking me to remove gray hair that was left after laser in a couple of areas. This person visits their relatives in the United States, a place near me, so it would be a doable thing. Too bad they just can't go to someone in France.

Thank you for the information, Maia. I really appreciate it!

Licensed by the State Medical Board of Ohio for Cosmetic Therapy/Electrolysis and the State Nursing Board of Ohio

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
New Hinkel video/tape 5-minutes
by melb_aussie
Today at 11:54 AM
Electrologists in India
by HairByHair
Today at 08:34 AM
Suggestions on my case and DIY info
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 02:12 PM
Whirlpool Forums immediately delete my posts
by Deedra
08/17/18 11:49 AM
Skin Types
by Iluv2zap
08/16/18 05:10 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
Deedra 9702
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4157
Michael Bono 3466
Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod