Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#117482 - 03/02/15 11:37 PM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: dfahey]
EmancipatedElect Offline
Major Contributor

Yeah, I'm in both the EI and Hairtell groups... I'm always looking for more information, insight, etc. I started reading posts here long before I considered electrolysis as a profession and went to school for it and continue to experiment with different probes and whatnot to find what I believe gives my best treatment.

I simply think the AEA fails massively as a "professional" organization (and I dare mention my thoughts on that with some trepidation given the experience a friend had regarding a state affiliate meeting where a member was bragging that she paid her clients to lodge complaints against a competitor, not knowing said competitor was in the audience listening to it).

Outside of the CPE, I don't see where the AEA is helping the profession much at all and even then, the CPE itself is pretty useless as a board certification as, due to the AEA backed state licensing laws, it doesn't even mean you can practice in all states. And, as far as the prestige of it goes, I've met some CPEs that don't know what they're talking about and have butchered people pretty badly... and I've dealt with people coming from licensed states where this happened as well.

It could be that I've just encountered all the downside, but given that every AEA email address bounces, it's not like they can even answer any of my concerns. I've gotten more from the people here and in places like EI/HS than I've gotten from the AEA.

Thread Sponsors
#117484 - 03/03/15 09:19 AM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: EmancipatedElect]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I hear this kind of feedback frequently.

Yes, there is information and mentorship in other places and a CPE doesn't assure that you are better than the best, but it does tell the consumer that the electrologist went the extra tenth of a mile to pay their dues and take a test, in order to belong to the club. In the consumers eye, those extra initials behind the name may send a tingle up their leg, but for the astute consumer, they are more broad minded and know to check out a few electrologists, initialed with a CPE or not initialed with a CPE.

Some times there are shortcomings mixed with snobbery in some organizations. Unfortunately, the hardworking, dedicated, welcoming club members are the ones not remembered. It is those that have created a culture of exclusivity with poor communication skills, among other things, that will be remembered.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest.

#117486 - 03/03/15 12:03 PM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: dfahey]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Dee and "E" ...

I think the key concept is this: does the AEA want to be a "RESOURCE," or a "GUILD." One association correctly called themselves the "International GUILD of Professional Electrologists." And, they are a dead organization too. I mean REALLY dead! And, they should be dead.

You can look up the two terms yourself (study the meanings carefully), but these two conflicting themes have resonated in the AEA for decades. The terms are VERY different; in point of fact, contradictory.

"Guild" and "resource" are conflicting terms, just like the two notions that we so easily throw around like "Liberty and Justice" ... these are also opposite ideals. The US Constitution is a "balancing act" between these two epic (and opposite) principles.

The key is this: You cannot be a GUILD and a RESOURCE at the same time! Can a country be a democracy and a dictatorship at the same time? Yeah, it's like that.

So, what is the AEA? THAT'S the real question that has yet to be resolved.

With the advent of the internet the future, in my opinion, points ONLY to "resource." Indeed, guilds used to be the only system ... but that was in the medieval period. Today, guilds ... and trade unions ... are essentially "dead meat," and essentially corporate (benefiting primarily the leaders).

My suggestion to my EXCELLENT friends in the AEA has been not to formulate what they think the public and the profession wants ... but to spend a LOT of time finding out what people actually want! Bottom up ... not top down. You should fulfill the need ... not impose a "solution" (without knowing the need)! It's just that simple!

The frustration that "Emancipated" is so intelligently expressing is, as Dee says, ubiquitous. People don't know exactly why they dislike the AEA ... but the discrepancy between these two ideals is probably at the heart of the matter. I don't believe anyone on the ruling AEA committees understands this whatsoever ... not in the true implementation of the concept of RESOURCE!

And, that's what keeps me from joining and really working for the AEA ...

Resource YES! ... Guild NO!

#117487 - 03/03/15 12:42 PM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: Michael Bono]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

I just spoke to Patsy about the "CPE issue and people being authorized to speak (write?) for the AEA. Here is her answer:

" ... If the person lecturing is an electrologist they should/must be a CPE.

If the [lecturing] person is an RN, MD, etc., or holds a degree in the topic, they may lecture without being a CPE.

The topic of whether to allow an electrologist who holds a degree in the topic or is very well versed through education on the topic and not a CPE should AEA give CEUs? That's a debate. In the past it comes back to 'are they a CPE'!"

(huh?)

#117492 - 03/03/15 10:47 PM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: Michael Bono]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Oh ... Patsy cleared this up a bit more

Okay, here's the deal ...

If you have 10 years experience as an electrologists, and practiced those 10 years, with no CPE, you may lecture on a topic pertaining to electrolysis. If you have a degree, and no CPE, you may lecture on the topic of in which you have a degree.

#117537 - 03/07/15 09:07 PM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: Michael Bono]
depilacionelectr
Unregistered

Michael, I just checked that indeed your books are not included as suggested study materials to pass the exam. This text was copied from the AEA website:

"The Study Guide was used extensively to formulate questions in the test development process. Ancillary texts such as Cosmetic and Medical Electrolysis & Temporary Hair Removal by Richards and Meharg,Electrolysis, Thermolysis And The Blend by Hinkel and Lund, and Milady's Hair Removal Techniques by Bickmore are also suggested study materials."

And this makes me suspicious about their true intentions. Could it be that your books divulge too much useful information for the consumer? or that your books talk about what should be the percentage of acceptable regrowth for a good professional? or that your books refute the stupidity of "only anagen"? or that your books are full of evidence and pictures showing the strategy of the three clearances? and finally, could it be that all this information (as useful as real) contradicts the assertions of some respectable ladies?

If this is the real motivation, I fear that they will fail miserably. They can remove you from their web and their conferences, but may not prevent you upload videos and posts on the Internet. It's hard to gate-keep in a world with no fences!

Because of things like this are what make me feel ashamed to be called electrologist.

#117540 - 03/08/15 10:48 AM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: dfahey]
Barbara_CPE Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Kansas
Some people might consider attaining the credentials as jumping through unnecessary and expensive hoops, I do wish to tell you that the public does look at the certification in a positive manner. The AEA has provided a consistent and well-thought-out exam for professionals. The AEA has focused on electrolysis/electroepilation rather than spread itself out with other hair removal methods.

#117543 - 03/08/15 12:05 PM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: Barbara_CPE]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

I think what Jossie is alluding to is the "officialdom" of AEA offerings; a sort of "thought control" that has been pervasive for decades (although probably better today?) Rather than speak in generalities, here are a few episodes that I did not simply hear about ... I was physically THERE and experienced these first-hand. The following is not hearsay ... I was there!

Wally Roberts: Wally was a true "mega-star" in the profession; the second-generation school owner and the manufacturer of a wonderful thermolysis machine called "Proteus." (I really liked Wally.) During the "early days of laser" Wally, being of scientific mind, explored the new technology. At the same time, the AEA started a virtual "war against laser." (If you used laser, you were kicked out of the AEA. Is this still the case?)

Wally wanted to present his findings to the group, but was FORBIDDEN to attend the convention in New Orleans. He showed up anyway and was ejected from the meeting. Wally and I were talking in the hall, and "security" showed up and threw him off the premises with a warning that the local police would be called if he continued to stay around.

Larry "Lorenzo" Kunze: Larry was a certified "rock star" in our profession and started investigating laser and started a laser curriculum in his school. Larry showed up at the convention and the AEA president walked up to him, returned his convention-paid money and ejected him from the meeting. I sat with Larry for a good hour and was, like Larry, completely stunned. "Hurt feelings" doesn't even come close to describing his reaction.

Of course, my own experience dealt with the 20-year-long "official gag order" that I would also be thrown out were I to DARE speak about telangiectasia or local anesthetic ... even in casual conversations with members.

Patsy Kirby (and Pearl): Since Patsy is one of my best friends, I attended the AEA convention when it was in San Francisco ... mostly to visit with Pats and Keiko and Fumio (Japan). At the time, Patsy was the "director" and the titular head of AEA. When I got there, there was no Patsy. Patsy had gone home (fled), because she was FIRED (by the executive committee) right there on the spot ... at the meeting.

Then again, there was a big nasty "flap" with the new president ... lots of recrimination and threats of lawsuits.

I don't have a specific name for this behavior ... but others could probably find the right word. You cannot experience this kind of "thought control" and continue to have a trusting relationship with such a group. When anyone decides what "TRUTH" is ... that's the end of democracy and the start of authoritarianism.

I'm still an AEA supporter and like the people (individually); they are doing a lot of fine things. I'm not a member, only because there is no transparency or "laissez faire" foundation.

An organization is either "open" or it is not; there is no "middle ground."

#117549 - 03/08/15 10:57 PM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: Michael Bono]
Barbara_CPE Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Kansas
I've never thought kicking people out of a convention, meeting or the organization was right. All of that was before I was an officer. What I'm saying is having an organization focused on educating electrologists about electrolysis IS important.

#117550 - 03/09/15 09:13 AM Re: Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning! [Re: Barbara_CPE]
EmancipatedElect Offline
Major Contributor

I think an organization educating electrologists (and clients) is important as well. But the AEA seems to be run by amateurs. Like I said, in an effort to learn more about them first hand and to express some of my concerns prior to joining, I tried every email address on the website and every single one of them bounced.

Personally, I'd like to see the AEA be a body that I can believe in, but as Michael points out, I'm not sure the AEA even knows what it wants to be and, because there is no real direction, they're failing to accomplish some of the basics they should be up on while acting more like a church persecuting people for heresy if they aren't loyal to the clique.

I'd be glad to join an organization that IS educating electrologists and promoting the business... I just don't see that from the AEA right now (at best, I see the AEA trying to promote protectionism).

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Feeling Sad
by Fairygirl
47 minutes 26 seconds ago
Thinning Male Beard Question- NOT Complete Removal
by janaka
Yesterday at 04:08 AM
Hair Route Mag
by dfahey
05/26/18 10:20 PM
Electrolysis/Laser Feet, opinion - pic attached
by Josefa M. Reina
05/26/18 03:09 PM
What is better?? 10ms or 3ms and why??
by Iluv2zap
05/26/18 01:59 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9670
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4157
Michael Bono 3361
Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod