Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#121842 - 05/05/16 08:40 PM Advice on Settings for Laser hair removal
hairh Offline

Signed up for laser on my chest, neck, arms, and shoulder blades. Price is about 1800. They use a palomar vectus machine. Today I saw on the machine 18mm and 10 joules. There is some pain when doing the various areas, particlarly when there's a lot of hair in that given area. I am of Irish descent, probably skin type III.

Today was my second treatment. I'm just concerned that the settings are too low. The tech said they just plug in the skin type and the machine picks the appropriate setting. After my first treatment I have a lot of pepperspots. Anyway I know you get questions like this all the time but I've waited years to get treated and I'm scared everything will just grow back and I'll be out 2K.

Sponsored Links
#121846 - 05/06/16 08:42 AM Re: Advice on Settings for Laser hair removal [Re: hairh]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
OH dear...... well good luck to you.

I assume you are a man? Laser is more risky for men's upper arms and shoulder area, as far as laser stimulating more hair to grow. It is a gamble. Will it work or will you have no results .... or will it wake up more hair?

The laser brand? This is a subject that I am not an expert on because I do electrolysis only, but over the many years of being here on HairTell, the folks have said that the powerful Candela lasers are great choices.

Being Irish, do you have coarse, dense, dark hair? If you don't , you may be wasting your money.

Good luck to you in the most sincere way possible.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest.

#121848 - 05/06/16 09:26 AM Re: Advice on Settings for Laser hair removal [Re: hairh]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Being one myself, I know “a guy thing” when I see it. We tend to JUMP into things and make snap decisions based on “just wanting to get this done … RIGHT NOW!” After we spend our money … well, then we start to ask questions.

I don’t want to stimulate the predicted response from the laser enthusiast/experts, and we all know the “it worked on me” retort … and that’s fine; good for you! Laser is usually fine on legs, not so good on the face or back. Still, like Dee Dee I ain’t gettin’ into the laser flap again. Talk is cheap. “It worked on me!” “It didn’t work on me!” So what? Who cares? What are the stats?

I’ll only comment that in the last 10-years, every man that finally ends up having electrolysis with me has spent an average of $3,000 to $5,000 on laser that either didn’t work, worked somewhat (but not enough), created strange patterns or made more hair grow.

And, it’s what we “dudes” do … we “blow the dough” and then start asking questions.

What’s reasonable? Get an actual estimate! … whether you are doing electrolysis or laser ask the right questions. Get the technician to predict the outcome, the amount of MONEY you are likely to spend and just what the hell happens IF IT DOESN’T WORK OUT! Or, what happens if it’s worse than when you started!

Guys … we spend more time getting the right mechanic to work on our car than on technicians who will be working on our BODY! I do it too: leap before I think! Ever done a bungee-jump and then half-way down start wondering if the thing is tied-off properly?

#121850 - 05/06/16 06:20 PM Re: Advice on Settings for Laser hair removal [Re: hairh]
hairh Offline

Lol I am a guy but I didn't completely jump in blind. They told me that if they do the "package" they will do additional treatments if needed. I don't have A LOT of hair on my neck and shoulders, its more on my chest and arms. To have so much area treated, I thought the price was reasonable. The machine is a palomar vectus, which I thought was a step up from IPL.

My question was more about if 10 joules is anywhere powerful enough or typical, it seems like no based on what I see people saying online. The FAQs on this website seem to indicate that laser can result in permanent reduction, so I believed that to be true.

#121851 - 05/06/16 07:10 PM Re: Advice on Settings for Laser hair removal [Re: hairh]
hairy Harry Offline
Major Contributor

I don't mean to belittle your hair problem,Hairh, but I can't understand men wanting to get hair reduction (unless you're trans) as far as I can see its not a big-deal for men, it's not repulsive nor a turn - off for most women. wink

#121852 - 05/06/16 07:32 PM Re: Advice on Settings for Laser hair removal [Re: hairh]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Originally Posted By hairh

My question was more about if 10 joules is anywhere powerful enough or typical, it seems like no based on what I see people saying online. The FAQs on this website seem to indicate that laser can result in permanent reduction, so I believed that to be true.

10 joules sounds low, but it is an IPL. I have been told that an IPL is not as good as a real laser, but I did have a trans client that got great results.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest.

#121853 - 05/06/16 08:12 PM Re: Advice on Settings for Laser hair removal [Re: hairh]
Brenton Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: SoCal
Something seems off. Are you sure it's a Palomar Vectus? Everything I find online shows it's a Diode laser with 2 spot sizes: 12mmx12mm and 23mmx38mm, so the 18mm spot size doesn't seem to exist on this laser.

I'm not familiar enough with this laser, but 10J is frequently on the lower side for most lasers, especially if you're a type III

#121854 - 05/06/16 10:55 PM Re: Advice on Settings for Laser hair removal [Re: hairh]
hairh Offline

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Eoxmt5ep-I4

This video shows the machine. I may have been wrong about the spot size. I saw on the screen that it said 10 J/cm2.

#121869 - 05/10/16 01:38 PM Re: Advice on Settings for Laser hair removal [Re: hairh]
hairh Offline

Anyone else?

#121871 - 05/10/16 05:40 PM Re: Advice on Settings for Laser hair removal [Re: hairh]
joben Offline
Major Contributor

hairh,

Just to reiterate what some others have already said. I'd be very reluctant to have LHR done on certain areas (i.e shoulder blades) for fear of hair stimulation. It happened to me on the back of my neck. I wanted that "clean, fresh from the barber" appearance and thought laser could provide that. I was wrong. I ended up with more hair and at some point will get electrolysis to fix it.

As for laser, I've never used a Palomar laser. It might be good...it might not. I will only be treated with a Candela (1st choice) or Cynosure (2nd). Regardless, 10 Joules sounds VERY low.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Feeling Sad
by Fairygirl
47 minutes 26 seconds ago
Thinning Male Beard Question- NOT Complete Removal
by janaka
Yesterday at 04:08 AM
Hair Route Mag
by dfahey
05/26/18 10:20 PM
Electrolysis/Laser Feet, opinion - pic attached
by Josefa M. Reina
05/26/18 03:09 PM
What is better?? 10ms or 3ms and why??
by Iluv2zap
05/26/18 01:59 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9670
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4157
Michael Bono 3361
Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod