Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#122176 - 07/04/16 08:17 PM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
kljutsh Offline
Contributor

Loc: estonia/finland
MamaBear - I think it is wonderful of You to try to find help for Your daughter. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18, yet I had symptoms since I was 13 not knowing what was going on with me. Back then, in my part of the world (Northern Europe) little was known about PCOS and it was often under-diagnosed. Endocrinologists here still dismiss the hair matter of PCOS and ridicul the psychological effect on the women's self-esteem related to it.. not to mention of them mentioning electrolysis, at all! It took me years to stumble upon a foreign article about electrolysis and another few years to find an electrologist in this part of the world, even! After having gathered some finances for it, I've just started electrolysis at age 29. I've shaved my face for more than 10 years.. I wish I had the opportunity before, as the PCOS hair growth keeps progressing, even with the best of diet, exercising, medications / natural remedies - no matter what path a person chooses. I'm not a professional in this matter, but do know the psychological downside of it all and I hope You have great luck in finding a great electrologist for Your daughter and that she also really grabs to the opportunity what PCOS gives (as I like to positively say) - that this syndrome really demands of ones healthy life choices, inside and outside. It is all about balance with PCOS. Hope to hear about her progress!

Sponsored Links
#122187 - 07/07/16 01:40 PM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
MamaBear Offline
Contributor

Loc: Pa, USA
thanks all for the postings !!

Endocrinologists are not very helpful smile and we need to help ourselves. My daughters cycles are like 35-50 days.

Took my daughter to an endocrinologist (need to pay 300$ for her visit now) and got her blood work results. Doctor recommends to shave and lazer for hair issues-as if we don't know about these tips

total testosterone levels 64 ng/dl (ideal should be < 40)
free testosterone 7.6 pg/ml(ideal should be < 3.6)
5 ft 5 inch and 155lbs

I would love my daughter to do Yoga to give a entire exercise along the entire body and the vital organs and glands-but she is giving me hard time with it; and prefers regular gym exercise

She has had 2 sessions of galvanic and 72 hairs were removed in an hour and is getting help for under the chin

I would like to prep my daughter with her diet\exercise regime before she moves to college; its hard for healthy diet on campus and I fear of that as well. PCOS is so damn diet related

Checking online many people have controlled it becoming vegan

#122189 - 07/07/16 02:41 PM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
MamaBear Offline
Contributor

Also..
forgot to mention,anyone with hirsuitism issues

Electrologist told..never ever wax or tweeze hair which will give more blood and nourishment to the follicle and grow more and thicker hair

and says just shave it..which obviously makes the skin leathery like a guy frown

Mamma mia with hair issues smile

Edited by MamaBear (07/07/16 02:43 PM)

#122190 - 07/07/16 06:22 PM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
kljutsh Offline
Contributor

Loc: estonia/finland
Now this is heading off the forum topic, but:

Gym is not that far off! PCOS reacts great to lifting and proper cardio workouts. It is great to balance it with yoga, qi qong, tai chi or other similar, which is more meditative, as PCOS also (depending of type of PCOS and of person) has the tendency of progressing anxiety and depression with years. At 18, I had no such issues, and I'm an extermely positive person in general and with each year, I started to progress some mental disturbances such as anxiety and depression waves. I treat those with qi qong and acupuncture. Actually, this is the thing - to look into the bigger picture. PCOS is so complex and reacts to chemicals in food, cosmetics and environment, to stress factors, to dietary matters.. I say in no way I'd wish anyone to have PCOS, but I have to say, without it I would probably be half the healthy person I am today.

It's also great that her weight is not in the overweight range and her BMI in the healthy 25-26 level still. She should really stick to that and find her dietary and physical work out balance. If she is up for it, direct her towards such sites like pcosdietsupport or similar, where she can read about different perspectives and solutions and lifestyle management and find peers from around the world with this syndrome. I found it extremely hard for me to talk about these matters until later in my life, even that I consider my mother my best friend and we have a very open relationship. I simply felt I only wanted to talk about this with people whom had the same issue. And thanks to those contacts from around the world via forums, we shared good and bad times, shared great tips and supported when needed. If You are located in US, very likely You'll also have a support group around Your city / state. This is the great thing about US, that PCOS has awareness groups and support groups for that there. Again, in my part of the world unfortunately that is not very common.

Btw, has she been tested for insulin resistance + glucose intolerance? If she has any darker skin patches (most common: neck, between breasts, armpits) - this is a definite sign of such, as the excess insulin gathers there.. That is managed by tossing any whites from diet and replacing with wholegrain foods (wholegrain wheat, wholegrain pasta, wholegrain oats, palm coconut sugar or agave or stevia etc). Also many PCOS-ers have a rather low tolerance to gluten and lactose and are D-vitamin deficient. But probably all of this You've managed to read up already. I'll shut up now with my tips and tops;)

Instead, few pics.

These were my legs when I was shaving them. Four weeks after a shave:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ToKUvt9fxzc/VMASakvV4TI/AAAAAAAAIp0/Wqi2BrJez4A/s1600/oldhairy.jpg

These were my legs when I stopped shaving and started going to professional wax-lady. Four weeks after depilation: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MHZ1H9ty1qE/VMAQlOTC8FI/AAAAAAAAIps/lZEtQXX3_rU/s1600/FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Nowadays, its even less, but can't provide a pic, as I just had my legs waxed few days ago;) I could have my legs waxed only every 5-6 weeks only though and the hair has become extremely thin and light. No ingrowns usually thanks to tons of exfoliating and treating skin with almond oil.

And this is ... a picture of my beard... Oeh. I mean.. I of course always had it shaved, but that time I was very sick home. That was also many kilograms back;) http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Sp-tyGQ4mCI/VMAlbxehAfI/AAAAAAAAIqE/AWScjK4x6-Q/s1600/picture.jpg

At 18, I needed to shave every now and then, at 27 this was how it looked. Add more hair on cheeks and moustache.

Now I had my first session of electrolysis (thermolysis, hope that's the right term and spelling in English..) of 4 hours and continuing next week with 10 more hours to get first full clearance, and to be continued with revisits probably for the next many many months.

Hope You keep us posted about progress with Your daughter, too!

#122774 - 09/29/16 07:44 PM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
MamaBear Offline
Contributor

Sorry all for not posting, forgot I opened and account here frown

The lady helping my daughter with electrolysis refused saying its pointless to go ahead with it as testosterone levels are high and as she keeps cleaning, testosterone keeps making new hair and suggested to have her see a Gynic who will put her on BCPills and hormone therapy to reduce testosterone. This is my last biting bullet highway and just don't want her to get on those medications; plenty of side effects with those and they dont treat the problem but a band aid solution.

So took my daughter to a naturopath and trying these alternatives and will have her blood work done in November end and just praying to god this should bring down the testosterone levels.

She is on Fish oil,Ovablend,emulsified Vitamin D 4000 IU and sugar controlling pills and a probiotic

Her diet is a slice of ezekiel bread with Peanut butter for breakfast;chicken and salad for lunch in school;brown rice\quinoa with egg;chicken for dinner;she also follows seed cycling(pls google foe that)

goes to gym 3 times a week(with school stuff) she says my back hurts mom, if I ask her to go the next day, feel sorry when she says girls in my school eat what they want and r slim as sticks smile

I will post back her blood work report in November with updates and crossing all my 20 fingers which will show reduced testosterone levels

She is 150lbs and 5ft.5inches and wants to see her self in 130's

#122775 - 09/30/16 11:58 AM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Originally Posted By MamaBear

The lady helping my daughter with electrolysis refused saying its pointless to go ahead with it as testosterone levels are high and as she keeps cleaning, testosterone keeps making new hair and suggested to have her see a Gynic who will put her on BCPills and hormone therapy to reduce testosterone. This is my last biting bullet highway and just don't want her to get on those medications; plenty of side effects with those and they dont treat the problem but a band aid solution.

Glad to see you here again, Mama.

Regardless of what is going on inside her body, I agree that it is necessary to keep treating the bothersome hair - clear it and then keep aggressively zapping any new hairs that rear their ugly heads.

We are all born with a set amount of hair follicles, so disabling hair follicles with electrolysis means that those hair follicles will not bother her in the future. Alas, new hair will probably be stimulated as long as she has the "right" hormonal environment or if she has the genetic code to develop such characteristics all along her life line.

I love ezekiel bread . The name Ezekiel means , "May God strengthen Him" or HER! I like these natural approaches that you are taking for your daughter's well-being. May she find the strength to carry on with proper diet and exercise. It's hard. Stay goal-oriented for the hair removal and the weight loss.

Nice to hear from you again!
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#123653 - 03/21/17 07:26 AM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
MamaBear Offline
Contributor

Hi All, been a while and thought will post my updates.

I was not too convinced with my naturopath and had a gut feeling it was waste of $$ and most importantly time(she charged 230$ for a first time visit and plus a shit load of supplements)

Trying my luck with another MD who treats these symptoms with natural supplements and crossing all mt 20 fingers(wish I had 40 for more luck)for this help her

She is on Saw Palmetto, berberine,VitD,hypercium,progestorone lotion and few more and started around March 1st. My daughter says the hair is getting finer on the chin. I will run the blood work in first week on May for testosterone levels and hope they dip down

Let me add, not sure if this is it..I started giving her a good amt of coconut oil in her breakfast with steelcut oats and cinnamon and she has lost about 7-8 lbs and is 140 lbs which is encouraging

Her periods were supposedly to be around March 10-ish which did not show up so far. Obviously these medications have delayed, need to hear back from the doc what he has to say

Will keep you guys posted with the blood work results as I have them if this highway of mine helped us

God bless all the women who suffer this pain in silence ..!!

Edited by MamaBear (03/21/17 07:32 AM)

#123663 - 03/22/17 08:51 AM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
The Dowager Offline

MamaBear,
Please ask your daughter's doctor about "Spironolactone."
IMHO, it will change her life for the better as in a few years she may face fertility issues and baldness.
You seem to be against medicine, but herbs are drugs, too.
I'm not trying to tell you how to rear your daughter, but as you're reaching out to
us, I'm offering my opinion.
I sent you a private message last June; I guess you didn't see it.
I thought through PMs, we could share names of doctors and electrologists.

#123666 - 03/24/17 09:58 AM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
MamaBear Offline
Contributor

Hi Dowager,
I am so sorry, I did not see my PM, is there a way we can direct our PMs to our emails ?

Thanks for your opinion, absolutely no issues and we are here to help out each other

the endocrinologist did recommend Sprironalactone which needs to be taken along with birth control pills. I have seen in so many PCOS forums, women want to get out of BCP after using for few years and find it so hard. BCP cause no ovulation and only monthly bleeds which are not natural from our body hormones, our hormonal system goes to sleep while on BCP

Maybe old-fashioned,I am big no-no for BCP which has side effects later in life taking so many synthetic hormones everyday into the body.

I will wait for the next blood work in May and if it brings testosterone levels under control - nothing like it. Otherwise she will go on BCP and Spironalactone

She did get her periods yesterday(40 days), looks like these new medications did alter her cycle.

#123667 - 03/24/17 04:12 PM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
The Dowager Offline

MB:
A dermatologist can prescribe Spironolactone.
It does NOT have to be taken with BCP in order to be beneficial.
They 'just' want to avoid a pregnancy.

After you log in to this site, look for the words "My Stuff" at the top of the page.
If there's a flashing icon next to it, click on it and you'll see your PMs.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
vector hair removal system
by James W. Walker VII
Today at 07:10 PM
How to gauge results?
by ArunaKay
Today at 03:58 PM
Upper lip swelling weeks after electrolysis
by dfahey
Today at 11:48 AM
KREE imperial ? Galvanic epilator help
by dfahey
Today at 11:43 AM
Selling My Kree Imperial Deluxe
by templje
Today at 04:23 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9560
James W. Walker VII 8040
Andrea 4148
Michael Bono 3115
Who's Online
1 registered (dimi), 56 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod