Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#122434 - 08/18/16 07:36 PM My kinda cool build with an Arduino timer+counter
meese Offline
Contributor

Loc: Colorado
Hiya everyone,

I bought a one touch about a month ago and proceeded to mod it with the typical sponge anode, foot pedal and I jury rigged the stylus to take normal needles. Then I decided to just build a machine from scratch and added an Arduino+LCD I had lying around that acts as an insertion timer, hair kill counter and a buzzer that pauses every 10s so I don't have to count 40 Mississippis in my head.

So felt like sharing since I haven't made a post here yet even though I've been reading a bunch here over the last month smile

The whole setup:

And it all turned out too be just as much of an eyesore as I was expecting.

The only LCD screen I had lying around was this one, unfortunately I had wired it up when I was just learning how to solder 4 or 5 years ago so it's kind of a mess and also it's attached to an Arduino shield making mounting to my 'case' close to impossible. So the Arduino just hangs out propped up against the case or on top of it at the moment smile. I thought about desoldering it apart and rewiring it but decided to just order a tiny 2" touch screen for $10 (which comes Saturday, yay).

The makeshift needle holder:

To get it to take regular needles I first snapped the two metal shank pieces of a one touch needle apart and then kept the top tubular one and jammed half of one of those plastic tubes sterex needles come with inside. Then I glued the plastic bit to the metal shaft and crimped the metal tube a little bit after where the plastic tube ends. So when a needle is put in the plastic tube holds it snuggly and the crimped metal tube prevents it from being pushed down further and makes electrical contact. However it holds the needle a little too snuggly and pliers are required for removing an old needle. Electrical tape is there to keep it from sliding around when setting it down, not to hold it together.

So my next step is definitely going to be prettying it up, no point in hair removal if you can't do it in style. Then after I run out 9Vs I might change to this regulated power supply I have from a eurorack synth that has 12v and 5v rails.

Decided to go the cheap DIY route instead of to a professional since I've done a bunch of DIY audio and synthesizer projects already and had some circuits exposure in college so modding or making one would be easy for me. Also currently unemployed so limited $$ but plenty of time. Electro has been a bit difficult to learn especially at the very start (and still learning), which I expected, but not extremely impossibly hard as some DIY naysayers have warned.

Sponsored Links
#122435 - 08/18/16 08:11 PM Re: My kinda cool build with an Arduino timer+counter [Re: meese]
Michael Bono Online

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Great job! I think buying a needle cord would be the way to go. If you live in the USA, I will send you one for free (I have bunches of them) ... let me know. Easy wire job and easy screw-off tip.

#122436 - 08/19/16 12:11 AM Re: My kinda cool build with an Arduino timer+counter [Re: meese]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

It's a clever design with the "probeholder" but Michael is right, a real probeholder will give you better insertions.
With a modification of the power supply, a different probe holder, how much of the one touch are you using? Wouldnt it be easier to determine the approximate power and resistances and put in a better reostat and design your own circuit with a with a pedal contact switch??

But I do give one caution to all of this. Galvanic by itself is extremely tedious. To perform any meaningful hair removal, whether "pretty " or not you'll probably want to try blend. And for that a galvanic only rig wont do. It's not the same kind of "DIY" as building your own setup , but DIY from the effectiveness standpoint usually involves an epilator made for professionals which has been retired.

I'm just pointing this out , an elegant and functional galvanic circuit isnt that hard to create. It sounds like you're having fun with your project, and for that I'm happy for you. One Touches have a bad reputation of burning out though from shoddy components.

Seana
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

#122437 - 08/19/16 01:41 AM Re: My kinda cool build with an Arduino timer+counter [Re: Iluv2zap]
meese Offline
Contributor

Oh I'm aware of the one touch's shoddy wiring, I already dropped everything except the probe holder which I also rewired with a sturdier cable. I decided to start off with the one touch as I wanted a working machine in front of me to start to calm my nervousness

#122438 - 08/19/16 01:45 AM Re: My kinda cool build with an Arduino timer+counter [Re: Michael Bono]
meese Offline
Contributor

Yep I'm in the USA and sure I'll take you up on the offer if it's really no problem for you smile. I'll pm my address.

Thank you!

#122439 - 08/19/16 01:53 AM Re: My kinda cool build with an Arduino timer+counter [Re: Iluv2zap]
meese Offline
Contributor

And IMO the actual circuit board components on the one touch aren't really the issue, the main problem is they used tinsy wire gauge for the stylus and so the cord is very likely to break. The wire is braided though, surprised they didn't just use solid wire.

So if people with burned out units just rewired the holder they would likely fix the problem.

#122440 - 08/19/16 01:11 PM Re: My kinda cool build with an Arduino timer+counter [Re: meese]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

It seems to me weve heard multiple reports of the variable resistors expiring in a puff of smoke.I didn't know there actually WAS a circuit board in them but I've never attempted to modify one.

Using good quality components it's possible to build a good circuit, but why do so when a machine capable of more than simple galvanic will be necessary to remove hair with any sufficiency? My point is that you probably want to get a professional unit and put that ingenuity and willingness to learn a new skill into something that will actually get you somewhere.The best advice I ever took from one of the professionals here was to start with professional equipment. And in fact I worked in galvanic alone for a very brief period of time ,literally about a week, before I got fed up with it and tried my hand at blend.I worked almost exclusively in blend for most of 3 years

#122442 - 08/19/16 06:11 PM Re: My kinda cool build with an Arduino timer+counter [Re: Iluv2zap]
meese Offline
Contributor

Yep even has a fancy shmancy TI IC and protection diode

I really don't mind the slow speed or extra pain of galvanic and call me crazy but it's slightly relaxing. So far I've put in 20-30hrs, I did get fed up with the unmodded one touch in under an hour though and removed it's very loud and annoying buzzer and added a sponge right away.

Also I like the idea of galvanic for the lower chance of causing scarring if I screw up while I'm doing my face. I'll probably get to a blend machine eventually. But why buy when you can do something like this: http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/45081/Build_Your_own_27_Mhz_Epilator.html :P (don't know if I trust my electrical abilities enough to try that though)

#122445 - 08/21/16 01:41 AM Re: My kinda cool build with an Arduino timer+counter [Re: meese]
meese Offline
Contributor

Added the new screen and old synth wall power supply today and switched to a bigger wood box and a prettier scrap front panel grin

#122449 - 08/21/16 04:44 PM Re: My kinda cool build with an Arduino timer+counter [Re: meese]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

way beyond what I could do, so good luck!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Letting too much time pass between sessions
by Roselake21
Today at 10:51 AM
Advice for customers.
by Michael Bono
Today at 10:48 AM
Electrolysis on legs
by Roselake21
12/10/17 05:17 PM
Before & After electrolysis photos!
by Roselake21
12/10/17 05:16 PM
In need of some feedback
by angelfeather
12/09/17 07:22 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9611
James W. Walker VII 8049
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3183
Who's Online
0 registered (), 87 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod