Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#123069 - 11/19/16 03:36 PM Re: Apilus Platinum Issue? [Re: Iluv2zap]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I guess I have been lucky? I have been using the XCell Pro since April 28, 2014. I use it heavily and I have had no power issues. I did have one issue though. When I attempted to load the updated new version from the USB key, the computer would not take it. My son, who is a software engineer, fiddled with it and read some codes that appeared on the screen and said there was a software bug. So, I had to send it to California and it was easily and quickly fixed and I haven't had any problems with it since. What I don't like is the fact that for all the trouble and risk to ship it, the cost was $300 to California and $175 to return it. Spending almost $500 is unacceptable for something that was not my fault and I hope not to do that again!

Again, I am having no problems with the current output or anything else.

Two other comments: I like all the bells and whistles on the Xcell, especially the management system. I like how I have control of the most minute adjustment of intensity and timing. I like the different modalities and the fact that I can CHOOSE which of the four thermolysis or five blend modalities is best for the unique client situations we find ourselves doing. People say it is comfortable for the most part (there are some that freak out even if the current is practically at zero).

I have used the Evolution HD 5. There is no comparison to the Pure or Xcell. Two different epilators completely - not even close! I still own the Sil-Tone VMC and it is a fantastic unit, but if it breaks, it cant be repaired anymore. They dont make the VMC anymore. If Sil-Tone had kept the guts of the VMC and added the large touch screen feature and a management system option AND a printer like Dectro did, that would be competition now! To me, the Xcell Pro is worth every penny because it is what I expect and I LIKE all those features!

I'm not an electrical engineer like you ladies, so I could barely understand what you were saying, but what I take away from this thread is that Dectro may be using inferior electronic components? I really think if that is the case and people have to return ship the epilator back to Dectro, then Dectro should PAY for the shipping both ways.

Seana, one thought for you on that arm hair - is it possible that the energy you were using was too high and the hair stick was being melted inside the follicle? For sure, you wont get good releases if this was happening. Synchro at 474el may be okay - I don't know what the hair structure looks like or the probe you were using.

ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

Thread Sponsors
#123070 - 11/19/16 03:57 PM Re: Apilus Platinum Issue? [Re: Iluv2zap]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I have talked to my colleague here in Columbus, who I swear is working 24 hours a day. She has had an Apilus Platinum Pure since 2010 or 2011? Never had to send it back. Never had any problem what-so-ever. My colleague in Israel called me last week and she did have problems with her motherboard a couple years ago. All is fine now. My colleague in Kentucky had motherboard problems - fixed and she is happily working away without difficulty. My colleague in New York has used a Platinum since 2006 or 2008? - no problem. My colleague in Colorado (owed since 2014) had motherboard difficulties, had it fixed and seems to be zapping away just fine.

So, there have been issues with some of the zapperina's I know and no issues with other zapperina's. I don't know why? Dectro is very innovative and they pioneer forth with new ideas. Because they take the risk, they are like any other company looking for better ways to serve us. It's not always smooth sailing for new products. It happens with cars, cell phones, medicines. We know everything about aspirin, but we don't always know the in's and out's with the new medicine for pain until we use it. Cars are recalled all the time for airbag, brake, acceleration issues. So it goes with epilators that go beyond basic. My gripe is paying for expensive shipping for something I didn't cause.

If you want a basic, solid, no frills, comfortable, nicely priced epilator - get Instantron's Elite Spectrum. Call Skip at 1-800-886-6141. If you want to go beyond that and be a pioneer with a the Dectro pioneers, then go with Dectro.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#123072 - 11/19/16 04:23 PM Re: Apilus Platinum Issue? [Re: Iluv2zap]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

I'm looking at the spectrum elite. Unfortunately as part of the cost I also have to consider the rather grotesque exchange rate that currently exists between US and Canadian dollars. That $3000 US is likely to inflate to $5000 or more in Canadian.

I've always been a strong supporter and user of apilus products, but this experience with the platinum pure's from hell has made me more than a little gunshy on pulling the trigger on another Dectro product. They've been good as a company but my boss too had to pay some extortionate amount for insured shipping, and now, we're looking at doing that again. Frankly, if we had to shut down for a morning and drive up, it'd be 10 times cheaper. All in all however I feel badly about having recommended the platinum back in March given it has been a complete headache from the beginning.

I was looking at investing in an epilator this year. I had considered getting an X-Cell as I thought I would use it for a long time. There's a local shop I can try the 5HD at but I havent heard any experiences, good or bad.

When my boss returns from Maternity leave we are going to need another machine. I still have my SM-500 of course, but I only use it for blend work, which is less than 5% of what I do.
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

#123073 - 11/19/16 05:30 PM Re: Apilus Platinum Issue? [Re: Iluv2zap]
beate_r Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Hattersheim, Germany
The SM-500 has already Multiplex, hasn't it?

Elektroepilation Dr. Beate Ritzert
http://epi.ritzert.net/en/

#123074 - 11/19/16 06:10 PM Re: Apilus Platinum Issue? [Re: Iluv2zap]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

It does but the timing on the presets is really slow. You can modify them of course but it's inconvenient to do so on every treatment or to remember custom treatment parameters and inpo get ut them all the time. That and many of my clients have discomfort issues when I try and use it for thermolysis. That, and if I were to use it more regularly new probeholders would probably be a good idea.

I'm used to insert , a couple quick taps of the pedal and pull the hair, and 5 seconds to get a thermolysis pulse is rediculous.

#123075 - 11/19/16 11:42 PM Re: Apilus Platinum Issue? [Re: Iluv2zap]
fenix Offline
Top 10 Contributor

The Platinum model is not that new in the line. So Dectro had many years to fix the issues in quality and construction if so many are reporting similar problems. They're the most expensive epilators in the industry so it's surprising that they would even have issues with their component quality. It's more forgiving if a company absorbs the cost of shipments and fixing.

#123076 - 11/20/16 02:27 PM Re: Apilus Platinum Issue? [Re: Iluv2zap]
TheFlyingProbe Offline
Major Contributor

I highly recommend the Instantron Elite Spectrum as an alternative to the Apilus line. Not only is the ES less expensive, it is very well built. I am not aware of any chronic issues with the Instantron.

#123078 - 11/20/16 05:29 PM Re: Apilus Platinum Issue? [Re: Iluv2zap]
beate_r Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Hattersheim, Germany
Originally Posted By Iluv2zap
Beate do you know the approximate price for the spectrum elite?

I have a rough idea on the German price - but that obviously won't help You much. It is, however, significantly cheaper than the Pure, more in the price range of the Apilus Junior or maybe Senior. (And i would have trouble buying one - the German distributor suggested me to buy a 2nd Apilus instead..)

Maybe You contact Skip Mahler, the owner of Instantron if there is a distributor in Your country.

BTW: there is a new Instantron device, the spectrum K. It is said to be more powerful than the spectrum. It would be interesting to know where the improvements are. Anyway, as long as You do not need a builtin timer (like i do because my rate is on a per minute base) the Elite Spectrum is a really useful device.

BTW: during the last months my Machine worked pretty reliably. I had to replace one probe holder, however a while ago.

Elektroepilation Dr. Beate Ritzert
http://epi.ritzert.net/en/

#123079 - 11/20/16 11:20 PM Re: Apilus Platinum Issue? [Re: Iluv2zap]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

The Instantron spectrum k looks to be about 3200 US.I'll wait for a bit to see if the exchange rate changes but that is probably doable.

In the meantime the Apilus is headed back to dectro for the second time. I think my boss is set on disposing of it when it comes back.I completely understand, I'm pretty fed up too.

#123083 - 11/21/16 01:30 PM Re: Apilus Platinum Issue? [Re: Iluv2zap]
yb Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
I hear about this problem with the Apilus Platinum quite regularly. Dectro should do more to isolate the problem with their machines, or come clear if they've already done so. What they rather seem to be doing is denying that the problem exists, pretending that you are the only one having issues, and selling you expensive repairs, like motherboard replacements, that do absolutely nothing to fix the problem.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Before & After electrolysis photos!
by Josefa M. Reina
1 second ago
Electrolysis on legs
by Josefa M. Reina
Today at 07:10 AM
Hairtell restructuration needed
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
Most natural looking hair removal method
by Roselake21
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Letting too much time pass between sessions
by Roselake21
Yesterday at 10:30 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9611
James W. Walker VII 8050
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3185
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod