consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#123271 - 12/29/16 10:08 PM Thermolysis and needle size
Dona Offline
Major Contributor

Hi everyone! So I have been doing electrolysis on myself for some time now using thermolysis which I know is a bit crazy I have indeed burned myself and left tiny marks here and there. However I saw for myself that thermolysis worked best and is easiest to demonstrate on arm hair I removed patches on my leg as well but the insertions are a bit tricky. I have been waxing the hair for over 9 years now.... I've done the same for my arm hair as well... Waxing for years... Now I'm thinking it could be the needle size making the hairs not epilate easily. I'm using ballet F shank size 3. Any idea about what size I should use for thick leg hairs?

Sponsored Links
#123272 - 12/29/16 11:19 PM Re: Thermolysis and needle size [Re: Dona]
fenix Offline
Top 10 Contributor

On thick legs hairs you should go with a F5 or better yet F6.
But thicker probes can be a challenge to do insertions with especially if you're working on yourself. Are you having any trouble seeing the hair now when you work with your size 3 probes?

#123273 - 12/30/16 12:53 AM Re: Thermolysis and needle size [Re: Dona]
Dona Offline
Major Contributor

Do you mean i can see where a single hair goes under the skin? I can see only few of them if that's what you mean but the majority I pretty much have to judge from the direction of the majority of the hairs in one area

#123275 - 12/30/16 11:11 AM Re: Thermolysis and needle size [Re: Dona]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

I' m going to disagree with your probe size assessment fenix.

In general Dona, you want the probe size to roughly equal to or slightly larger than the diameter of hair.Larger probes do give more even heat distribution, but if you cant insert the probe they arent of much use.I have yet to see female leg hair that would necessitate a large probe than an f4.I do a lot of my leg cases with f3's.

I dont want you to take offense when I suggest this, but is insertion accuracy or energy intensity an issue?LEg hairs tend to be shallow on the lower leg, and deeper upper thighs toward the bikini area. By getting the insertion as close to the papillae as possible and delivering the right amount of energy I get perfect smooth releases every time. On the platinum pure, often I have to use synchro 3 or 4 , or pico 4 on finer hairs.I get full intact bulbs and easy releases, in fact legs are one of my favourites to work on.

I will say however that on arms and legs, if the angle of insertion isnt right then you will see more scabbing and probably angiogenesis.When working on a client I make sure to rotate the leg often to keep the area I am working on the top in order to acheive these accurate insertions. I'm not sure how well that would work out in DIY.

Seana
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

#123276 - 12/30/16 12:57 PM Re: Thermolysis and needle size [Re: Dona]
Dona Offline
Major Contributor

Hi Seana! When I first started treating my leg the hairs were shallower and they would slide out of the follicle with ease without any resistance and I'm clearing the area from any new growth in the mean time ... On my arm I did only one treatment about two months ago til now no hairs except for few sprouting here and there. Now I'm back to treat the other leg and the hairs are deeper and seem to differ from the ones I treated on my left leg some time ago. I am also facing a problem with my inner thighs it's almost impossible for me to treat inner thighs. I would say yes it is possible my insertions are not as accurate as they should be and I'm struggling to understand how to precisely insert the probe for certain hairs I usually have to do multiple insertions before a hair would come out it is truly frustrating

#123280 - 12/30/16 06:45 PM Re: Thermolysis and needle size [Re: Dona]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Whenever one attacks an area for the first time, it can be very tough to budge some hairs. The "end of life" hairs can be obstinate and the "new baby hairs" can easily slide. Once an area gets cleared, it gets a little easier to work on. At least, that is what I have observed over the years.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#123288 - 12/30/16 11:27 PM Re: Thermolysis and needle size [Re: Dona]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Hi Dona,

Sorry I meant to get back to this, but unfortunately the last 2 days spent most of working in the office. I'm a bit exhausted, but, I'll manage partof reply.

As a DIY'er, you will have to accept that it isnt safe to do thermolysis in places that you cant get a good insertion. Yes, you'll nick yourself. For these areas, slow as it may be, I recommend blend.Better a dead hair and perfect skin than a slit or nick.

Regarding your insertions, it will come with practise.If you removed all the hair from an area, I wouldnt expect much regrowth in that are a for 8-12 weeks or so. As Dee alluded to, older hairs can be diffiult to insert past the desicated root sheath on telogen hairs and to get them to release, and you will find a lot of catogen and telogen hairs in the legs., Sometimes it might take 2-3 tried to insert. It's perfectly acceptable to do multiple pulses at varying depths, the idea is to destroy the lower 2/3 of the follicle.Positining however is key. If you cant do an insertion on an area, dont use thermolysis for that. Blend will be much more forgiving of poor insertions.Do everything you can to make th insertions better.Take depth guides to guide you to the right depth.

Take care

Seana

Edited by Iluv2zap (12/30/16 11:28 PM)

#123289 - 12/31/16 12:28 AM Re: Thermolysis and needle size [Re: Dona]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Depth gauge is very helpful. I'm glad you mentioned that, Seana. Did I read somewhere that if one does something 10,000, they become an expert?
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#123291 - 12/31/16 12:35 AM Re: Thermolysis and needle size [Re: Dona]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

I think it takes at least 10000 times.Then it takes another 100000 to get efficient at it.

Edited by Iluv2zap (12/31/16 12:35 AM)

#123299 - 12/31/16 12:56 AM Re: Thermolysis and needle size [Re: Dona]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Yal, I think The Beatles proved that. They spent every waking hour playing their music in Hamburg, Germany before they became really famous.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
My electrologist plucks my hairs. A french story..
by beate_r
10:05 AM
Ripped Off?
by beate_r
04:59 AM
Laser Hair Removal on Happy Trail
by cbarr
01:13 PM
Are AEA electrologists the only ones to pick?
by Soft Touch
01:57 AM
Lower Back Pain
by Megrb
12:10 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9507
James W. Walker VII 8027
Andrea 4146
Michael Bono 3092
Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod