consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#123725 - 04/05/17 04:37 AM Letting too much time pass between sessions
Ton Offline
Contributor

Around the year 2001, my mom was nice enough to give me $50 every two weeks for electrolysis, but then changed her mind after about 3 sessions. I had it done on my navel. This particular electrologist told me that if I miss a session, it is like starting over from the beginning, since the hairs grow in cycles, so it is important not to miss a cycle. In other words, you have to catch all the cycles. If you miss even one cycle, you'll have to do another 7-10 sessions before you achieve permanent hair growth. They performed the blend on me.

Then, several years later, I spotted an ad at a trade show for a free 30-minute electrolysis session, so I got it done at a different company who used thermolysis. I got it on my breasts. The electrologst told me that 10% of the hairs would be killed PERMANENTLY.

So, if they really were killed PERMANENTLY, then doesn't that mean it wouldn't be like "starting from the beginning"? Wouldn't I only need another 6-9 sessions, instead of 7-10 sessions? (the first electrologist told me that it takes about 7-10 clearances before you achieve permanent clearance.

Which electrologist is correct?

Thread Sponsors
#123726 - 04/05/17 09:37 AM Re: Letting too much time pass between sessions [Re: Ton]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Everything your were "told" is idiotic nonsense. How can there STILL be so much misinformation "out there" being perpetrated by supposed "professionals in the trade?"

#123730 - 04/05/17 10:52 AM Re: Letting too much time pass between sessions [Re: Ton]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
We all have our explanations.....

Depending on the strategy, I have found that anywhere from 8-15 clearings of the same area, over a period of 9-18 months gives people the gift of permanent hair removal. If an area is untouched by any temporary hair removal method for 4-6 months, a clearance can be done every 3-4 months on a body area , over 9-18 months time, using ANY modality of electrolysis, as long as the hair is "punched" with enough energy each and every time.

Just go get it started and make sure you get a clearance and that the hair slides out with no resistance. You do not want to feel a tweezing sensation.

Edited by dfahey (04/05/17 10:53 AM)
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#123738 - 04/06/17 12:13 PM Re: Letting too much time pass between sessions [Re: Ton]
WeRNotAfraid Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Dallas
Originally Posted By Ton
Around the year 2001, my mom was nice enough to give me $50 every two weeks for electrolysis, but then changed her mind after about 3 sessions. I had it done on my navel. This particular electrologist told me that if I miss a session, it is like starting over from the beginning, since the hairs grow in cycles, so it is important not to miss a cycle. In other words, you have to catch all the cycles. If you miss even one cycle, you'll have to do another 7-10 sessions before you achieve permanent hair growth. They performed the blend on me.

Then, several years later, I spotted an ad at a trade show for a free 30-minute electrolysis session, so I got it done at a different company who used thermolysis. I got it on my breasts. The electrologst told me that 10% of the hairs would be killed PERMANENTLY.

So, if they really were killed PERMANENTLY, then doesn't that mean it wouldn't be like "starting from the beginning"? Wouldn't I only need another 6-9 sessions, instead of 7-10 sessions? (the first electrologist told me that it takes about 7-10 clearances before you achieve permanent clearance.

Which electrologist is correct?

Neither is correct, and it boggles the mind that you were told this. A properly treated hair is killed the first time and will never come back. If you clear an area completely you WILL see additional hair growth down the road, but it's not the same hairs coming back but other hairs that were dormant at the time of the first treatment. Having said that, no "cycle" will ever cause killed hairs to return or mean you need an additional 10 treatments or whatever. Let's say you completely clear your abdomen 4 times and end up with only 20% of the hair you started with. Even if you wait 5 years (assuming you don't have hormone problems causing new growth) you will still only need to remove that 20% remaining hair. You will not have to start all over again.

As to the second, run away from an electrologist that says you can only get a 10% kill rate. Mine has probably a 90% rate or more, and after a few clearings of an area I always see a very visible reduction. Neither of these people sounds like somebody you should be going to.

#125308 - 12/02/17 02:57 PM Re: Letting too much time pass between sessions [Re: dfahey]
ingeileen1991 Offline
Contributor

Dee,

Taking into account your advise, it's much better to do not touch the area that will be treated with electrolysis for 3-4 months previously to the first clearance?

I'm going to do my arms in February and I waxed them at the end of November, so, do you recommend not touched anymore till the first session

By the way,,, If Im not able to touch it, could I use a product to clear out my arms (blonde vellus)

thanks a lot for your guidance

#125313 - 12/02/17 04:15 PM Re: Letting too much time pass between sessions [Re: ingeileen1991]
SoCalPurr Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: SoCal (Eastvale, CA)
Originally Posted By ingeileen1991
Dee,

Taking into account your advise, it's much better to do not touch the area that will be treated with electrolysis for 3-4 months previously to the first clearance?

I'm going to do my arms in February and I waxed them at the end of November, so, do you recommend not touched anymore till the first session

By the way,,, If Im not able to touch it, could I use a product to clear out my arms (blonde vellus)

thanks a lot for your guidance

Do not wax or do anything else to them if you are planning electrolysis.

#125314 - 12/03/17 05:26 AM Re: Letting too much time pass between sessions [Re: ingeileen1991]
beate_r Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Hattersheim, Germany
Originally Posted By ingeileen1991
Dee,

Indeed.

Quote:

You must decide wether to have the hairs being effectively removed permanently or not. It is always ok if You keep the hairs short with a hair cutter or a pair of scissors - to a few mm. Background: for best effectivity we need to see really all hairs, notably also the telogens. And those grow very slowly and disappear on anything including shaving.

Elektroepilation Dr. Beate Ritzert
http://epi.ritzert.net/en/

#125317 - 12/03/17 10:12 PM Re: Letting too much time pass between sessions [Re: Ton]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I agree with Beate!
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#125318 - 12/04/17 08:23 AM Re: Letting too much time pass between sessions [Re: Ton]
ingeileen1991 Offline
Contributor

thanks a lot for your answers!! I won't touch my hair until I get my first session!

Just one more question that would help me a lot to understand, My Electrologist uses Thermolysis, do you thing is good for my arms? I have dark vellus over there but I've been reading that Thermolysis in comparison with Electrolysis is not that effective?? Do you consider that I could start with Thermolysis and then move myself to electrolysis??

Thanks a lot and I really appreciate your wisdom!!!

#125319 - 12/04/17 11:44 AM Re: Letting too much time pass between sessions [Re: Ton]
beate_r Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Hattersheim, Germany
Effectiveness is entirely a matter of the skills of the electrologist. A hair follicle killed by heat is just as dead as a hair follicle killed by heat plus a bit of lye. And dead is dead; there is no "half death".

Elektroepilation Dr. Beate Ritzert
http://epi.ritzert.net/en/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Can Diode Laser produce both 810 & 1064 nm?
by melb_aussie
Today at 01:09 AM
Considering electrolysis
by Zillah24
Yesterday at 09:16 PM
Lasting results
by Michael Bono
Yesterday at 07:39 PM
Before & After electrolysis photos!
by Stephgold
Yesterday at 06:56 PM
Current Laser/IPL Models
by melb_aussie
Yesterday at 02:48 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9616
James W. Walker VII 8050
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3189
Who's Online
1 registered (mw022), 95 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod