consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#124124 - 06/06/17 11:01 AM Painful Pustules After Treatment
Fuzzypeaches Offline
Contributor

Hi guys. Posted here before about my treatments with my electrologist. Great guy and I've had few problems but we can't figure this one out. I have been getting treatments every day for a few months now; I'd like to finish this before I leave the country and travel for a year. My skin generally does fine but I get two types of spots. One is a painless pustule that slowly forms. As Michael on these forums has recommended, I just get the junk out. Those usually heal up. Then I get these little bumps that slowly develop a white spot and they are very very painful. I have to wait and keep removing the pus. They heal fine but again painful when they are there, red, and the pus is gross.

I started electrolysis because I work in sales and felt conscious about my hair. Having little pus spots is not necessarily better. I have spoken to my electrologist but we aren't sure what to do. Most of these aren't ingrown hairs. They don't happen everywhere but when they do, they hurt. My after care is a gentle cleanser with warm water, cream with benzoyl peroxide and some vaseline to prevent everything from drying out. I also use witch hazel before or after. My electrologist does not prep the skin beforehand with alcohol because my skin is normally so dry.

This is stressful and painful. The bumps are not huge - just 1 - 3 mm and slightly raised. They are not deep but they keep producing more stuff..again do not really scar but sure what to do

Thread Sponsors
#124125 - 06/06/17 11:13 AM Re: Painful Pustules After Treatment [Re: Fuzzypeaches]
Fuzzypeaches Offline
Contributor

Also I don't think these are cystic acne because there is almost always a white head to them but they are so small

#124126 - 06/06/17 11:30 AM Re: Painful Pustules After Treatment [Re: Fuzzypeaches]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

I've never had a client present with pustules like this, It sounds like there is infection forming, and this is usually caused by contamination of the treated area.I once had a client who developed significant white pustules overnight but that was on an area tha had developed some swelling due to many hairs removed from a small area, and completely resolved with the wipe of a washcloth.

The commonality to the appearance of this issue is that you must undergo treatment for it to occur.

Here's what I would advise any client experiecing this type of issue. First, make 100 % posative that all infection control routines are being observed. Wipe the area with witch hazel before treatment. Ensure New Sterile needles are used each time and your electrologist is wearing gloves. Then dont put ANYTHING other than cool water on your face for the 48 hours after treatment. The probability is,that there is some other contaminant probably mixed with the benzoil peroxide causeing the issue. I recommend clients dont use makeup, suntan lotion, or anything else un-necessary on their skin for 48 hours post treatment, and make an effort not to TOUCH the treated area either as contaminants are often from fingers.

Seana
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

#124127 - 06/06/17 01:21 PM Re: Painful Pustules After Treatment [Re: Iluv2zap]
beate_r Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Hattersheim, Germany
Originally Posted By Iluv2zap

Here's what I would advise any client experiecing this type of issue. First, make 100 % posative that all infection control routines are being observed.

Which is clearly not the case here!!!
Because:

Originally Posted By Fuzzypeaches

My electrologist does not prep the skin beforehand with alcohol because my skin is normally so dry.

Thorough disinfection before the treatment and if appropriate also during treatment is mandatory. You symptoms mainly demonstrate the importance of infection control.

So please ensure proper disinfection first, before and because of Your symptoms even after treatment. Ensure that the needle is sterile, and the forceps, too (i have experienced an electrologist just wiping their "one and only" and "favorite" forceps between two treatments...).

Elektroepilation Dr. Beate Ritzert
http://epi.ritzert.net/en/

#124128 - 06/06/17 02:10 PM Re: Painful Pustules After Treatment [Re: Fuzzypeaches]
Fuzzypeaches Offline
Contributor

So in this case should I just disinfect my face myself? What should I use?

I am a nurse myself so I am pretty diligent on my end. Clean q-tips or freshly washed hands to apply my products. I don't touch my face unless to wash or wipe with witch hazel. I change my sheets often as well. My electrologist was a nurse himself prior to switching careers and hasn't had any of his other clients have this. He's wondering if maybe my skin is too sensitive for back to back treatments but again, this doesn't happen everywhere. Let's say he treats my left cheek 3 times a week - I will get maybe two spots on that side during that time period. I always seem to get these on my chin no matter what I do. I am careful with food and even take off my necklaces now worrying that maybe that is the contaminant. My chin is probably the most heavily treated area. I don't wear makeup and just the benzoyl peroxide and the products mentioned which are all from closed tubes or jars - either way, I use clean q-tips. I am wondering whether it might be the vaseline but it does seem to heal the area very well, so again, not sure.

#124130 - 06/06/17 02:39 PM Re: Painful Pustules After Treatment [Re: Fuzzypeaches]
WeRNotAfraid Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Dallas
Originally Posted By Fuzzypeaches
So in this case should I just disinfect my face myself? What should I use?

I am a nurse myself so I am pretty diligent on my end. Clean q-tips or freshly washed hands to apply my products. I don't touch my face unless to wash or wipe with witch hazel. I change my sheets often as well. My electrologist was a nurse himself prior to switching careers and hasn't had any of his other clients have this. He's wondering if maybe my skin is too sensitive for back to back treatments but again, this doesn't happen everywhere. Let's say he treats my left cheek 3 times a week - I will get maybe two spots on that side during that time period. I always seem to get these on my chin no matter what I do. I am careful with food and even take off my necklaces now worrying that maybe that is the contaminant. My chin is probably the most heavily treated area. I don't wear makeup and just the benzoyl peroxide and the products mentioned which are all from closed tubes or jars - either way, I use clean q-tips. I am wondering whether it might be the vaseline but it does seem to heal the area very well, so again, not sure.

I've been having similar issues when I never did before, even after a lot of electrolysis. I, too, used Vaseline to keep the area moist, and I think (but am not sure) that that is the problem. I never used it before (I typically just used Witch Hazel) but after starting some body work I decided to take extra good care of my skin. Well, that's when the problem started. I don't know if the heavy coating of grease somehow trapped debris under the skin, or somehow reacted badly with bacteria, but I stopped using it immediately and noticed the problem starting to clear. My electrologist does clean my skin so I don't think it's an infection from lack of sanitation. From now on I am only using Witch Hazel and pure aloe vera long with gentle soap. No more heavy ointments for me.

#124131 - 06/06/17 03:18 PM Re: Painful Pustules After Treatment [Re: WeRNotAfraid]
Fuzzypeaches Offline
Contributor

Thank you for your post! Sorry if the formatting comes off weird but I am on my phone.

I have two things to try I guess - I'll go back to using witch hazel with alcohol for some of that antiseptic and then use my regular moisturisers instead of the vaseline though I am worried that the scabs and stuff won't heal as well or that some of the deeper spots from releasing trapped hairs will not do quite so good. Then again I have heard that lots of pros have patients with some bleeding and scabbing after who put nothing on their face and do fine

#124132 - 06/06/17 03:36 PM Re: Painful Pustules After Treatment [Re: Fuzzypeaches]
beate_r Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Hattersheim, Germany
That's probably the best You can do: disinfect before treatment, and let it heal. It'll heal by itself. Let it heal also means: do not treat an area too often and give Your skin time to recover before doing that are again!
And accept scabbing to occur: killing a hair root is just another word for "there is a wound". And that will heal like any other wound. Biology cannot be tricked.

If You had cut Your finger and the skin has just closed again, is still red - would You take a needle and stitch into that cut?
Hence:
Three times a week on the same area would be an absolute no go for me.

Elektroepilation Dr. Beate Ritzert
http://epi.ritzert.net/en/

#124133 - 06/06/17 07:00 PM Re: Painful Pustules After Treatment [Re: Fuzzypeaches]
fenix Offline
Top 10 Contributor

I would add that using bezoyl peroxide on treatment area will only trigger more irritation and longer healing time. BP is harsh on the skin.

#124134 - 06/07/17 12:16 AM Re: Painful Pustules After Treatment [Re: Fuzzypeaches]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Well, Beate, While my initial advice still stands ( cleanse, watch infection control, no crap and wash with plain water, still stands. I would skip the "lotions" too. In fact , skip the soap.And otherwise, keep your hands off. All the same advice I started with in this thread.

I've thoroughly disproven the "dont treat the area too many times" theory to hell this year. I had a client walk in september who did MASSIVE amounts of work in the first 3 months. Up to 3 hours 4 or so times a week.No negative effects. After 9 months I am thoroughly pleased with her progress ( if not the number of hours it took to get here) . I dont disagree at all with this consumers strategy if that's "doing what it takes" to get the job accomplished. Every so once in a while someone walks into our offices who has a SEVERE issue. Doing what it takes, sometimes does take that much work and having pulled it off successfully, I can say it's not a cheap or easy fix, but it sure gets the job done.

Seana
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
prominent sebaceous glands: can hair removal help?
by Michael Bono
Yesterday at 09:16 PM
Feeling tired after electrolysis sessions
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 09:10 AM
Journey of a young French lady
by adrien_sanchiz
10/18/17 07:34 AM
should i continue laser hair removal?
by skydivingjess
10/17/17 11:12 PM
Electrolysis and Hydroquinone
by Arlene R. Batz, CPE
10/15/17 06:16 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9586
James W. Walker VII 8041
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3160
Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod