Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#124186 - 06/18/17 10:32 AM Are AEA electrologists the only ones to pick?
astro Offline
Contributor

I have no clue, I used the AEA locator page to find my 1st lady to go to, should we ONLY use people who are in the AEA, in your opinions?
I'm asking cause I'm very cautious, but there's barely any people near me in AEA other than 2 I've tried that I didn't even like smirk

Thread Sponsors
#124187 - 06/18/17 10:42 AM Re: Are AEA electrologists the only ones to pick? [Re: astro]
Brenton Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: SoCal
I just checked the AEA locator page, and mine isn't on there even though she does phenomenal work, so no, AEA electrologists aren't the only ones to pick. Maybe it's a good place to start if you aren't sure where to begin.

#124188 - 06/18/17 11:59 AM Re: Are AEA electrologists the only ones to pick? [Re: astro]
fenix Offline
Top 10 Contributor

AEA means the electrologist took the CPE exam. While the effort shows that the electrologist took extra steps to become certified, I find the CPE does not mean a better trained or skilled electrologist. I was treated by CPEs and Non CPEs and skill level and results were similar. So don't focus on AEA especially if you have limited options as is.

#124189 - 06/18/17 12:45 PM Re: Are AEA electrologists the only ones to pick? [Re: astro]
Michael Bono Online

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
I had a CPE and was a superior electrologist. THEN, I didn't keep up with the continuing education requirements and lost my CPE certification. Ever since I lost my CPE certification, I'm not good at electrolysis any more.

Edited by Michael Bono (06/18/17 12:46 PM)

#124191 - 06/18/17 06:51 PM Re: Are AEA electrologists the only ones to pick? [Re: astro]
EmancipatedElect Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Rochester, NY
Being listed by the AEA doesn't mean the electrologist took the CPE. It means they pay an annual fee to be a member of the AEA.

The CPE means they passed a single written exam, not that they're any good at the practice of electrolysis or that they know what they're actually doing.

I haven't joined the AEA or sought out my CPE because I think both are pretty much useless as an indicator of quality. Word of mouth about the quality of my practice is all I have needed to continue to grow my business (now to the point where I've already hired another electrologist, since I have too much work to handle by myself.)

#124192 - 06/18/17 09:43 PM Re: Are AEA electrologists the only ones to pick? [Re: astro]
astro Offline
Contributor

Ohh ok! I didn't think you guys would say that, but that's great to know. I did like how their site says like "follows infection control standards" just cause I'm really shy, and feel super awkward asking stuff like, sooo... what is your disinfection prodcedure? or something like that, because of course, this person is a stranger to me, I can't just assume that they are careful with that.

#124194 - 06/18/17 10:06 PM Re: Are AEA electrologists the only ones to pick? [Re: astro]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
AEA / CPE not necessarily a good measure of quality work or skill, but it might make the consumer feel better.

Pretty funny post, Michael.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#124195 - 06/19/17 12:21 AM Re: Are AEA electrologists the only ones to pick? [Re: astro]
EmancipatedElect Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Rochester, NY
Feel free to ask about our infection control procedures. My sterilizer is out in the open for anyone to see. My state doesn't require me to test the sterilizer, but I do weekly tests anyway to prove that it is working properly, since that's the right thing to do. You can watch me wash my hands, put on new gloves, take sterilized tools out of test tubes, throw away the probe I used on you and wipe down my table and other equipment that doesn't go through the sterilizer with cavicide. It doesn't bother me in the least.

It's just as easy for someone in a state that is regulated or for someone that has a CPE to avoid or cheat on good practices too. At best, mandatory requirements keep honest people honest.

With regard to Dee's point, someone making someone feel better because they joined the AEA or got a CPE doesn't mean they are actually following protocols or doing a good job. I've worked on people that have been damaged by people with fancy credentials (be it a CPE or even a MD).

It is still the consumer's responsibility to educate themselves and evaluate their practitioner, whether the practitioner has a credential or not. IMO, the CPE credential (and licensing in the states that do so) is actually less than worthless, since it gives people a false sense of confidence/security and, in the case of licensing, by raising the barrier of entry, keeps new, potentially better, electrologists out of the field to protect complacent, existing, grandfathered in practitioners.

#124239 - 06/24/17 01:57 AM Re: Are AEA electrologists the only ones to pick? [Re: Michael Bono]
Soft Touch Offline

Loc: Los Angeles CA
Hahaha so funny Michael. I'm not a good electrologist either since I have never gotten my CPE. Thank goodness my clients' hairs don't know the difference or they would refuse to die...

Edited by Soft Touch (06/24/17 01:59 AM)

#124354 - 07/21/17 02:22 PM Re: Are AEA electrologists the only ones to pick? [Re: astro]
yb Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
The AEA markets itself as the sole face of electrology. They tell you, essentially, that electrologists who join the AEA (pay them for membership) are the only proper electrologists. A small number of customers hear and believe this message. The AEA steps up their marketing campaign.

I see two problems with this:
1) I don't like their racketeering approach to monopolizing the electrology world
2) They do nothing to assess their members' actual skill - you don't need to know how to practically do electrolysis to be their "board certified" CPE. And many don't...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Advice for customers.
by Michael Bono
0 seconds ago
Electrolysis on legs
by Roselake21
Today at 05:17 PM
Before & After electrolysis photos!
by Roselake21
Today at 05:16 PM
In need of some feedback
by angelfeather
Yesterday at 07:22 AM
Recommended machine to buy in 2017?
by SecretSid
12/08/17 08:07 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9611
James W. Walker VII 8049
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3181
Who's Online
0 registered (), 94 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod