Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#122116 - 06/23/16 01:17 PM PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail
MamaBear Offline
Contributor

Loc: Pa, USA
Friends,

I took my teenage daughter to an endocrinologist for the second time suffering with hirsutism and periods with cycles of 35 to 50 days.

the doctor just brushed away and said go for lazer and exercise more,waiting for blood reports to come in.

My daughter(soon to be 18) is having side burn hair and chin and under hair getting coarser by the year. She had waxed a couple of times in frustration but got know this will cause the hair follicle to grow stronger in vengeance as there is more blood flow(with elevated testosterone) nourishing it

question related to Electrolysis-

Does galvanic method remove or zap the hair once and for all OR does it needs to be re treated in a few weeks ?

I heard Blend method needs to treat back the same hair follicle in a few weeks when it grows back

Its an expensive affair, but I am hoping this will bring her self esteem back

thanks
MamaBear

Sponsored Links
#122118 - 06/23/16 02:44 PM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
adrien_sanchiz Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Loc: France, Spain
Hi,
You should avoid laser for your daughter's case since the risk of laser induced paradoxical hair growth is pretty high.
Blend or thermolysis method are both the best way to permanently get rid of unwanted hair on face and body.

If electrolysis (blend or thermolysis) is properly performed, each treated hair is permanently removed and you don't have to retreat it since it should not regrow. The practitioner normally would treat new hair that there were not visible during the first session.

Before beginning several sessions on the face, I recommand you to ask to the electrologist to treat a little patch on your daughter's arm. The area shoud not be plucked, waxed or shaved 5 to 6 months before the treatment. 6 to 8 weeks you should expect an obvious reduction of hair density. If you don't see any difference in the treated area, it means the practicionner doesn't know how to do electrolysis hair removal.

Edited by adrien_sanchiz (06/23/16 02:46 PM)

#122122 - 06/24/16 01:20 PM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: adrien_sanchiz]
MamaBear Offline
Contributor

Loc: Pa, USA
Thanks Adriene for the input.. I agree Lazer can only stimulate hair follicles to grow again for PCOS cases and its short term

Fellow Users,

is half hour rate of 65.00 USD reasonable\expensive in Pennsylvaniva for Galvanic Electrolysis

Another lady was 50$ for Blend

I have no idea how much of a difference in terms of area\hairs can be covered within half hour and which is most effective

Any suggestions will greatly help me

Edited by MamaBear (06/24/16 01:53 PM)

#122123 - 06/24/16 03:20 PM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: London, UK
Hi MamaBear,

Those rates sound reasonable.

If you do what Adriene suggested - a test patch (perhaps a 1.5" square, one on each arm) with both, you will be able to discover two things. Firstly, you will be able to see how long it takes both electrologists to clear the their area. Secondly, 3 months after that test patch is cleared you will be able to see if there is any reduction.

In a perfect scenario, where the electrologist removed every single hair in the area, you would see about 80% reduction (this is for arms). But more realistically, if you are seeing 50-60% reduction at least you know the electrologist is killing most of the treated follciles and hopefully you will see good results on the face.

Your daughter will need electrolysis to help her with this problem but please do not discount the impact of diet and exercise in the treatment of PCOS. She's young and if you can help her now it will be much better for her future!
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to date, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

#122124 - 06/24/16 06:03 PM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Mama dont concern yourself too much on modality, you can overthink this alot. If I were treating your daughter I'm probably use a mix of multiplex and synchro thermolysis to disable those big hairs. Comparing modalities and percepted kill rates is fools errand they all work.

I treat a number of young women with PCOS with electrolysis and they appreciate the speed and progress with which I am able to work in those modalities.It helps them get their confidence back. But some doing blend can do just as good a job in the same amount of time. The right modality, is the one the electrologist is most confident in.I say again, it's really easy to overthink this.

And your rates are quite good but they very alot from area to area.Here in Ottawa for example the firm I work for goes for $85 an hour but your pricing will be vastly different depending on your local market.

Seana

Edited by Iluv2zap (06/24/16 06:20 PM)
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

#122125 - 06/24/16 09:31 PM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Hi Seana,

If one is deciding between two electrologists they'd probably want to know which one is better at killing follicles, regardless of what modality they are using.

Unless the client has other evidence to believe the electrologist will get them results, I personally would be wary about jumping in for facial treatment especially as a PCOS patient. All too often clients have on-going treatment with little in the way of results which the electrologist blames on the PCOS.
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to date, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

#122129 - 06/26/16 03:49 PM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Hi Stoppit!
Perhaps I have too much faith in my fellow zappers?

Mine is a very old argument, and you are right, to a degree.But only unti a very skilled electrologist comes around.

Using Synchro, on tough transgender beard hairs, or on a person with PCOS, I can have somewhere in the range of 600 hairs in an hour( I'm guessing, it's probably alot more than that ). At a percieved kill rate, of 45-50% if we go by averages.So say I average 300 actually killed. The rest will regrow and be removed in a future session

Another electrologist using a fast blend technique maybe hits a hair every 3 seconds? but at a higher kill rate, lets say they average 85% so that's 0.85X1200 in an hour or 1020 actually killed in that hour.

Clearly the fast blend operator would have a speed advantage with these number. The reality is however it doesnt take changing these numbers very much at all, to have a vast diffterence in the overall reult. As Michael has pointed out a million times, total treatment time ( the amount of time it takes to complete the job) is what we want.

The point is we dont have any firm statistics on kill rates. Maybe I'm hitting 75% kill rate and treating more like 1500 hairs an hour?

All the different modalities have a little different kill rate, and a little different way of approaching the problem. One doesnt really have an advantage over the other when you take the big picture as part of your calculations. The amount of time an electrologist has spent total in removing a similar problem is what we are after and modality doesnt tell us that. Eelctrologist skill will weigh heavily in this, accuracy of insertions also.

Seana

Edited by Iluv2zap (06/26/16 03:51 PM)
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

#122130 - 06/26/16 05:35 PM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
Michael Bono Online

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
TTT ... one-million plus one (:

#122134 - 06/27/16 03:54 PM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: MamaBear]
The Dowager Offline
Contributor

MamaBear, I sent you a PM.

#122138 - 06/28/16 11:43 AM Re: PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail [Re: Iluv2zap]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Hi Seana,

Perhaps! And I am the opposite because unfortunately, there are too many stories of PCOS clients who become lifelong clients. I've just had someone contact me recently for advice who wasn't seeing results after 8 months of regular treatments and started feeling that something was wrong when the electrologist said that it may take years.

I completely agree with the rest of what you have said.

For me the test patch is about finding out whether the electrologist is killing follicles or not. One electrologist may take an hour to clear the chosen area. The other may take two hours. The point is that the area should be cleared and then assessed after a few months. If a test patch looks no different than prior to treatment then would I let that person get stuck into a lengthy process on my face? No!

I think Josefa has posted in the past on how one can discover their kill rate. I'm sure it will vary from body area to body area as well. I also think an electrologist's aim, regardless of modality, should be to kill every follicle they treat. In reality, that will not be the case but it should be what is being worked towards. The years of practice and building up of skill should bring one closer this goal.

Finally, for me personally, I would not have treatment with someone who is only killing 50% of the follicles they treat.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
TEMPORARY SIDE EFFECTS WITH ELECTROLYSIS
by Michael Bono
10:19 AM
Lasting results
by Stephgold
09:07 AM
One month on...
by Stephgold
06:38 AM
Hairtell restructuration needed
by dfahey
02:40 AM
Before & After electrolysis photos!
by dfahey
01:54 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9614
James W. Walker VII 8050
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3186
Who's Online
0 registered (), 88 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod