consumer hair removal forum
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#124753 - 09/25/17 02:31 PM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
dj355 Offline
Contributor

If I cease plucking and wear sunscreen each time I go out now, given that my skin has already healed from electrolysis, will that be enough for the hyperpigmentation to fade?

I'm a little doubtful, what should I do to speed up the process?

Thread Sponsors
#124754 - 09/25/17 03:41 PM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I don't know. You can always try.

Over the counter remedies are usually not strong enough. Another professional opinion was suggested before. Are you amenable to that idea?
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#124755 - 09/25/17 05:53 PM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
dj355 Offline
Contributor

I'm definitely willing to give other cosmetic stuff a try.

Generally, which are more effective- glycolic acid peels or topical creams? And most definitely, I will avoid the over-the-counter ones, because I don't seem to have much luck with them!

#124756 - 09/25/17 07:46 PM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
EmancipatedElect Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Rochester, NY
I developed some weird itchy dark spots on my back in 2014. I went to a dermatologist and was given a preliminary diagnosis of macular amyloidosis, becker's nevus, and PIH (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation). After a biopsy, it was determined to be PIH.

The dermatologist then prescribed a mixture of tretinoin, hydroquinone and a steroid cream. After 6 months of applying it twice a day, I still didn't have any improvement.

After that didn't work, he wanted to prescribe another cream (I don't remember the name right now), that was extremely expensive. I opted not to pay that much given the failure of the previous topical treatments...

He then recommended ruby laser treatment and did a test patch of 3 different settings. A few weeks later, you could clearly identify the three test areas and we went with the setting that provided the best result. 3 treatments and $1500 later, I still see those 3 distinct test patches, but it doesn't look like my pigmentation faded any.

Taking my knowledge of PIH as an electrologist, I decided to do what I should have done to begin with and just let it heal itself. It'll be a year since my last treatment soon and the PIH is still there. The main reason why I even considered treatment in the first place, is the itching can become unbearable at times, but the failed treatment has probably aggravated the situation more. The itching is still there and perhaps I should see another dermatologist, but I have an ugly scar now from the punch used to take the biopsy.

TLDR - consider just leaving it alone and letting it heal rather than trying to force it to heal or else you might prolong the problem.

#124757 - 09/25/17 09:55 PM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Skin can be a real challenge. Dee Dee agree's with EE! If you are "gotta do something type of guy", then do what you think will make you feel better, but know that Mother Nature is smarter than all of us, if you are patient.

So, the area treated has nor hair growth?
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#124758 - 09/25/17 11:00 PM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
My head exploded ...

Hummm ... the term is "Post INFLAMMATORY hyperpigmentation." That means the pigmentation is caused when your skin is inflamed!

Tweezing out hairs, getting laser treatments, using various peels and creams, ALL ... hold on to your butt ... CAUSE INFLAMMATION!

Dude, you are working against yourself BIG TIME! I have 40-years of watching PIH from electrolysis totally go away. YOU ARE MAKING IT WORSE!

Really, I can't recommend anything ... I "give up!" Oh, FIRE your dermatologist!

#124760 - 09/26/17 10:12 AM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

KABOOM!
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#124761 - 09/26/17 12:48 PM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

I'll just leave this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec-8A5k16Ak

I love how what I've said consistently, is only now sinking in . YES...PLEASE...leave it alone.

Seana
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

#124762 - 09/26/17 08:06 PM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Dee Dee and Seana ... you made me laugh.

To the original dude ... maybe this might answer a couple questions for you? check it out ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdCc7C4jNCE&list=PLeYuCaeN4D7OyL70UHMoqaKJcyYSO7u0d

#124763 - 09/26/17 09:11 PM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dfahey]
dj355 Offline
Contributor

Originally Posted By dfahey
Skin can be a real challenge. Dee Dee agree's with EE! If you are "gotta do something type of guy", then do what you think will make you feel better, but know that Mother Nature is smarter than all of us, if you are patient.

So, the area treated has nor hair growth?

Yes, the area treated has pretty much no hair grownth left, just thin hairs that I'll just trim rather than pluck, thanks to everyone's advice.

I'm fine with taking a no action approach, but my worry now is that the 2.5 years of sun exposure that I prematurely I got. How is that going to affect/impair the disappearance of PIH?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Journey of a young French lady
by adrien_sanchiz
Today at 07:34 AM
Feeling tired after electrolysis sessions
by adrien_sanchiz
Today at 07:08 AM
should i continue laser hair removal?
by skydivingjess
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
prominent sebaceous glands: can hair removal help?
by Michael Bono
10/16/17 10:59 PM
Electrolysis and Hydroquinone
by Arlene R. Batz, CPE
10/15/17 06:16 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9586
James W. Walker VII 8041
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3157
Who's Online
0 registered (), 119 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod