Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#124764 - 09/27/17 12:40 AM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
When I think of postinflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH), the word PATIENCE runs through my brain. Epidermal (surface) postinflammatory hypergpig can take 6-12 months to fade. Deeper pigment PIH may take YEARS to fade, thus, the need for constant reassurance that TIME and PATIENCE is required to manage this condition.

Some quick points:

- PIH does not require treatment and will likely improve with time.

- Focus on treating the underlying inflammation - Once electrolysis or laser
is finished, the skin can be left alone to heal in peace.

- SUN PROTECTION - use a minimum of 30 SPF to prevent PIH. It is especially
important for people of color to use SPF or even a block.

- Avoid possible irritants: irritating topical medications, alcohol,
witch hazel, astringents, fragrances

- There are medical therapies such as, topical hydroquinone (4% is better)
retinoids, kojic acid, azelaic acid, corticosteroids, chemical peels
combination therapy (a topical steroid + a retinoid + hydroquinone cream).
With hydroquinone, there has been concerns because some lab rats
were given the stuff orally and developed malignant tumors. In humans,
darkening of the skin can occur, so that's not helpful. I believe it was banned
in Europe?

- Having acne is a big contributor to PIH and that's where the benzoyl
peroxide comes in handy, along with topical retinoids and chemical peels

Any trauma to the skin, slight insult or huge trauma, from acne, bug bites, any type of boo-boo to a zebra kicking you in the knee can cause PostInflammatory Hyperpigmentation. Time and lots of patience is the best cure, but there are some other approaches that may speed things up (or prolong it?). Who knows for sure because individual skin types and immune systems vary so much.

I'm sorry to know about your exposure to the sun, but glad to hear that the majority of hair is gone.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

Thread Sponsors
#124765 - 09/27/17 09:02 AM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Thanks for all the information Dee ... appreciated.

#124767 - 09/27/17 10:52 AM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Most welcome, Michael. I cleaned up some grammatical errors just now. It is not good to write anything while watching tv late at night. One of my favorite series is Outlanders and I was catching up on that. There is lots of war (with the British), torture, raiding clans (and sex) and just plain hard, hard living for people in 18th century Scotland. I can only imagine the gross amount PostInflammatory Hyperpigmentation people walked around with from that time period. Battle scars, nonetheless, are very real, whether it be from the conflict or war with other men or the conflict of war with hair.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#124830 - 10/04/17 08:55 PM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: Iluv2zap]
dj355 Offline
Contributor

Originally Posted By Iluv2zap
Mystery solved! In talking with DJ355, it appears he has been plucking the area post electrolysis ( I thought those lines looked awful tidy) .

For the benfit of anyone who does not know, hyperpigmentation always resolves within 18 months, because that is when the skin has completed it's healing process ( usually before that). However, if you continue to cause more hyperpigmentation then it will take just as long to diminish. Plucking, waxing, threading laser, and electrolysis ALL cause hyperpigmentation and so unless you cease all of these things new hyperpigmentation can still develop. Amoung those particularly prone to hyperpigmentation are olive complexioned people, such as you might find in greece, the middle east, and neibouring areas such as pakistan.

Hope this information helps a few people currently posting smile

Seana

I have a question about this. As you know it's been well over 18 months since I finished electrolysis. So when do I reset the clock? What new timeline am I looking at? Assuming I'm taking all the necessary precautions now with regard to sun and not inflaming the skin..

#124831 - 10/04/17 09:36 PM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

anywhere from a few month, to 18 months, starting from when you cease causing inflammation to the skin

Edited by Iluv2zap (10/04/17 09:37 PM)
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

#124900 - 10/10/17 07:58 PM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
dj355 Offline
Contributor

I was speaking to a family friend who got an open chest procedure done almost 10 years ago and developed PIH. And the hyperpigmentation and scarring are still prominently there.

A lot of people in this thread seem confident that PIH fades on its own, but the experience of this gentleman is telling me otherwise.

I went to another dermatologist and he prescribed a tranexamic acid toner with vitamin C serum to rub twice daily. It's already an improvement over hydroquinone because it's not burning my skin and making it red! Going to see if it helps

Edited by dj355 (10/10/17 08:03 PM)

#124901 - 10/10/17 10:25 PM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

An open chest procedure causes DEEP dermal post Inflammatory hyperpigmentation that may never heal. Electrolysis and other superficial injuries, aren't as deep and the hyperpig will fade if one is patient and leaves it alone.

Thanks for the information about the serum. Hope it helps.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#124903 - 10/10/17 10:44 PM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Originally Posted By dj355
I was speaking to a family friend who got an open chest procedure done almost 10 years ago and developed PIH. And the hyperpigmentation and scarring are still prominently there.

A lot of people in this thread seem confident that PIH fades on its own, but the experience of this gentleman is telling me otherwise.

I went to another dermatologist and he prescribed a tranexamic acid toner with vitamin C serum to rub twice daily. It's already an improvement over hydroquinone because it's not burning my skin and making it red! Going to see if it helps

You seem pretty sure we are somehow misleading you. I promise we arent, but as this is where you seem t be headed....prove us wrong.
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

#124906 - 10/11/17 09:51 AM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

It's actually ridiculous (in the true definition of the word) to equate "open chest surgery" to electrology. That's like comparing a fire-cracker to a stick of dynamite.

I have had several clients that went paranoid about their PIH and nobody could convince them otherwise. After some time, they just forgot the whole issue and MAGICALLY the PIH was gone as well.

Maybe that's the remedy: just forget about it and it goes away?

#124908 - 10/11/17 09:59 AM Re: My Skin Years After Last Session [Re: dj355]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Being very politically incorrect let me add that the only clients that "lost it" regarding PIH have been men ... and usually ethnically from India or other areas with skin that commonly creates PIH ... Such as Italians (like ME; and YES I also get PIH "big time.")

Before I start work on anybody with PIH-sensitive skin, I do lots and lots of "vetting" and most of the time I won't work on them. At my advanced old age (ready to drop dead), I don't need the grief!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Journey of a young French lady
by adrien_sanchiz
Today at 07:34 AM
Feeling tired after electrolysis sessions
by adrien_sanchiz
Today at 07:08 AM
should i continue laser hair removal?
by skydivingjess
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
prominent sebaceous glands: can hair removal help?
by Michael Bono
10/16/17 10:59 PM
Electrolysis and Hydroquinone
by Arlene R. Batz, CPE
10/15/17 06:16 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9586
James W. Walker VII 8041
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3157
Who's Online
0 registered (), 119 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod