Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#122717 - 09/22/16 08:30 PM Re: I finally did it! I scarred myself. [Re: Iluv2zap]
Laurier Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Upstate New York
USB handheld microscope on Amazon for less than 50 bucks. Celestron....go for the lower power one.

www.laurierinstruments.com

"The perfect violin is worthless unless in the hands of one who can play it well"

Sponsored Links
#122719 - 09/23/16 03:18 AM Re: I finally did it! I scarred myself. [Re: Laurier]
meese Offline
Contributor

Loc: Colorado
So I tried out some practice insertions the with macro webcam. Turns out depth perception is indeed important. Also annoying was my webcams sluggish exposure auto adjust when adjusting the cam and light angle. After about an hour of mostly jabbing my probe into space I managed to be able to get insertions down with some regularity although still slow and I didn't actually turn my machine on. Time delay and frame rate with my Logitech C270 wasn't an issue.

Definitely harder than with the mirror but for hard to see areas still an improvement. Hoping that working with the lack of depth perception is a thing that you can get better at and seems like it is so far. Keeping my finger tips clearly visible in the frame helped a lot. And the lack of depth perception for the webcam is worse than like keeping one closed depth perception, maybe the narrower depth of field or angle or not the best resolution causing it.

Originally Posted By Laurier
USB handheld microscope on Amazon for less than 50 bucks. Celestron....go for the lower power one.

But the webcam mod is free :] (if you already own a usb webcam)

Edited by meese (09/23/16 04:15 AM)

#123749 - 04/08/17 10:17 PM Re: I finally did it! I scarred myself. [Re: Iluv2zap]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

I thought this might be an interesting post to come back to. I took a picture last september showing the damage I though I had done. I never ever posted it, To be honest it made me a little squeemish. I truly thought there would be some ongoing evidence of this severe transgression of electrolysis gone bad.

I was convinced there would be some line, some part of this minor cut that would show up ongoing.a paler bit of skin perhaps? Well, I just spent about the last hour trying to get a really good clear picture on my now upgraded phone of the area the damage had been. I have the original to compare too. Except now in april 8 months after, I can find absolutely no trace of the damage done comparing the Exact area the damage was done. Nothing. nada. Not a wrinkle or crease or discoloration.

Dont sweat the small stuff folks. our own minds are our worst enemies in such situations.The skin has fantastic healing capabilities. Let it work.
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

#124832 - 10/04/17 09:46 PM Re: I finally did it! I scarred myself. [Re: Iluv2zap]
Ton Offline
Contributor

So is that why all you electrologists don't use those $20-$50 USB videocamera microscopes (such as that manufactured by Celestron) that can give you 100X or 200X magnification? Because of depth perception?

What is the difference between the Opmi Pico and the Opmi 99? Which one gives higher magnification? I had two electrologists who used both those microscopes, and one told me that they were using a magnification of 1000X and the other told me 1300X. Then I read on this HairTell forum that one of those Zeiss Opmi microscopes only gives a magnification of 24X!!! Do you think my electrologists were lying to me? What about the ones manufactured by the Chinese company Zumax? Are they inferior?

#124837 - 10/05/17 08:01 AM Re: I finally did it! I scarred myself. [Re: Iluv2zap]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Lag from the video feed.

#124839 - 10/05/17 09:38 AM Re: I finally did it! I scarred myself. [Re: Iluv2zap]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Ton ... Madonna Mia!

#124841 - 10/05/17 02:28 PM Re: I finally did it! I scarred myself. [Re: Iluv2zap]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Ton the biggest issue I have seen with the digital microscopes is the latency time for the computer to process the videoimage. It's unacceptably slow and so the image isnt really helpful. 24X is actually pretty darn magnified and more than enough to practice electrology. I use an 8X circle lamp, which gives me a good wide angle view of my working area. I also have a pair of 3.5x dental loupes and a 3.5x circle lamp. I do work a little better with the 8X but I will say I get a top notch close up view with 8X. I completely lose depth perception with the loupes and that is a concern with going up to a microscope as well.I've had another electrologist trying to get me to buy their microscope, but the truth is at the moment i cant afford more upgrades to my business and 24x wouldnt gve me much of an advantage over 8x, so 100-200 times magnigication would be sillyness.I need a wider perspective than that.

#124844 - 10/05/17 04:55 PM Re: I finally did it! I scarred myself. [Re: Iluv2zap]
dimi Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Seana,

Your lamp has 8D(diopters) which is only 3X magnification.
If it is realy 8X you will not have working distance.
I work with stereo microscope and I do not have problem with the depth perception.

#124868 - 10/07/17 07:32 PM Re: I finally did it! I scarred myself. [Re: Iluv2zap]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

no, dimi, its 8x magnification. I have a 3.5X ( 5 diopter ) circle lamp as well and there is no comparison. I special ordered this magnifier in. the working distance is not great you have to get the magnifier closer to your work but there's adequate room to do so.

Montreal is only an hour and a half up the road, would you like to come try it for comparison?

Edited by Iluv2zap (10/07/17 07:35 PM)

#124871 - 10/08/17 07:07 PM Re: I finally did it! I scarred myself. [Re: Iluv2zap]
dimi Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Thank you for the invitation, Seana!
I do not know when I will come to Ottawa but for sure I will come to see you. Also you are invited in Montreal to try my set up.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Apilus Xcell for SALE Mint condition!
by James W. Walker VII
12:20 PM
Lasting results
by Iluv2zap
11:44 AM
Recommended machine to buy in 2017?
by TheFlyingProbe
09:11 AM
Afraid of Laser Hair Stimulation
by purple potato
07:26 AM
is thermolysis safe on asian skin?
by geri
11/15/17 11:43 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9606
James W. Walker VII 8047
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3167
Who's Online
2 registered (LRN, Chicaaa), 103 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod