Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#124979 - 10/24/17 02:38 PM Thermocoagulation and Health Canada regulation
Kim Gerry Offline

Loc: Chilliwack, BC, CAN
I have been a certified electrologist for over 10 years and 2 years ago I certified for thermocoagulation treatments with Dectro (great program BTW!). I have just heard that the senior II or any other electrolysis machine from Dectro are not regulated to provide any skin lesion treatments (thermocoagulation). I searched online to see if Health Canada as posted anything but I cannot find articles or clauses that stipulate that regulation. As anyone else heard or seen anything on Health Canada about that? Does that mean insurance will not cover you if you use anything but the machine (Elipsia+) that Dectro has been approved by Health Canada to perform thermocoagulation.

Sponsored Links
#124980 - 10/24/17 07:45 PM Re: Thermocoagulation and Health Canada regulation [Re: Kim Gerry]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
(For US readers)

I'm excruciatingly familiar with the twists-and-turns of all the "esthetician units" that treat skin lesions. All of the dedicated units are re-labeled thermolysis units that are being used "off label."

Were any company to claim their dedicated unit was anything other than an electrolysis unit (and already certified as such), they would have to present evidence of this being something new. Thus, they would have to spend many thousands of dollars for an FDA test. If they claim the unit is equivalent to, say, the Hyfrecator or Bovie (both medical devices), then the unit could only be sold (after testing) to medical doctors. So you see, it's a "catch 22."

If you directly ask any of the "dedicated unit" sellers, they are going to give you a bunch of baloney. So far, no agency has made much ado about this little issue ... however, one good fat lawsuit and that will bring all of this crashing down. The fat lawsuit will probably have something to do with a non-medical person removing a skin cancer and the patient not seeking timely treatment ... with bad results.

#124981 - 10/24/17 07:49 PM Re: Thermocoagulation and Health Canada regulation [Re: Kim Gerry]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Additionally Kim, it's not the machine that is "certified" it's the practice of removing lesions with thermolysis.

They are certifying YOU not the machine."Thermocoagulation" can be accomplished by many many devices ...

#125003 - 10/27/17 01:00 AM Re: Thermocoagulation and Health Canada regulation [Re: Michael Bono]
Kim Gerry Offline

Loc: Chilliwack, BC, CAN
Indeed Mike! I looked at the health Canada form needed to label a machine as a medical device and it's quite the elaborated process. Thank you for taking the time to clear this up for me.

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Electrolysis on legs
by Stephgold
Yesterday at 10:35 PM
Letting too much time pass between sessions
by Stephgold
Yesterday at 10:11 PM
Hairtell restructuration needed
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 05:27 PM
Most natural looking hair removal method
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 12:27 PM
men shaving legs??
by tyndn
Yesterday at 08:56 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9611
James W. Walker VII 8050
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3185
Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod