Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#125288 - 11/29/17 12:24 AM One month on...
StarTell19 Offline

Loc: Australia
I had thermolysis done on my lower back exactly a month ago. I had extreme redness, pustule formation, and pin point scabbing. Although most of those side effects have subsided, the area is still quite pink and now new pustules are forming. Have I encountered an infection? These started popping up over a week after the initial pustules had completely resolved. And apart from the pustules, why is the area still pink a MONTH after treatment? Were the settings too high? I’m so distraught. This is not the first time I have gone to get a treatment done to overcome an insecurity, only to have the situation worsened.

Thread Sponsors
#125289 - 11/29/17 09:32 AM Re: One month on... [Re: StarTell19]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
The fault is perhaps with your electrologist who is not telling you explicitly what post-treatment electrolysis (a wound) looks like. The 30-day pustules are not pustules, but remnants of dead follicles emerging from the skin: normal and a good thing. Being pink means there is fresh blood in the area that is healing the skin: normal and a good thing. Your "insecurity" is unnecessary.

All of my clients go through many post-treatment manifestations without any insecurity, nail-biting or the need to ask strangers on a website. I predict the skin's healing appearance before it takes place so patients expect and welcome normal healing.

Indeed, nearly all the comments, here on Hairtell, deal with clients and some sort of post-treatment "boo-boo." I seriously wonder what is being told to these patients? Then again, in rare cases, there is simply no way to mollify the innate fears of a client: usually the PIH client.

#125295 - 11/29/17 09:12 PM Re: One month on... [Re: StarTell19]
fenix Offline
Top 10 Contributor

What's being told to clients? Have you seen the generic post treatment care cards that tell clients to expect 10-14 days of redness and then everything will heal? When redness, scabbing, PIH, soreness persists for weeks and months, panic sets in.

#125297 - 11/29/17 11:16 PM Re: One month on... [Re: StarTell19]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
I have not seen these generic cards ...

My own approach is to paint a much more dismal picture of what could happen (and never does). I don't think we should stress the down-side; but should also not make clients think this is a simple La-de-da process.

I seriously don't know how electrologists can perform work on very sensitive areas without talking about the potential negative, albeit temporary, effects.

The amount of questioning and stress expressed on this site is proof to me that not enough "real talk" is being done. I find it extremely difficult to continually answer the same questions over-and-over ... when the therapist herself should be dealing with her own patients in a matter-of-fact way. I simply don't get it!

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Most natural looking hair removal method
by tyndn
Today at 08:59 AM
men shaving legs??
by tyndn
Today at 08:56 AM
Current Laser/IPL Models
by tyndn
Today at 08:50 AM
Advice for customers.
by Michael Bono
Today at 02:22 AM
After first clearance?
by Roselake21
Yesterday at 05:55 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9611
James W. Walker VII 8050
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3184
Who's Online
0 registered (), 105 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod