Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#101421 - 09/28/12 01:39 PM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: dfahey]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: London, UK
I have a lot to write but it will have to wait until I return home.

I would say lighting is the key and magnification depends on the electrologist's needs. I hope Josefa will not mind me mentioning that she uses basic magnification for these hairs.
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to date, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

Thread Sponsors
#101422 - 09/28/12 07:52 PM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
With over 7,600 posts, I sometimes get lazy and don't repeat all the details that need constant emphasis. I responded to the three points that hairadicator made, leaving out magnification and lighting. Of course, those are as important as skill, equipment and knowledge and I have reiterated that magnification and lighting play a part in the successful outcome of permanent hair removal, via electrolysis. Perhaps I need to write a statement and have it available for copying and pasting, so I don't die of boredom repeating this topic over and over again.

A big part of the reason professional electrologists use surgical magnification is to adequately see all hair structures so we can serve all needs, but there are other reasons. Proper visual aids help with good body mechanics/ ergonomics so we can stay healthy and happy in our pursuit of serving the hairy for many years. Our distance vision improves so we can not only see the hair, but we can sit up straight with our back and neck in good alignment with our feet flat on the floor, while we work away. We can work longer on difficult cases, something many consumers want, but cannot get.. Many electrologists will only work an hour at a time because they need to be in a hunched position 7" away from the client.

So, I will add another important supplement to the electrologists' work station. I recently purchased a 24 hour task chair that has aided in my comfortable pursuit of removing hair and protects my physical well being, where my back is supported well. When my work day has ended, I'm ready for other pursuits. Those who do fine with their particular set ups, I revere them!

ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#102048 - 10/26/12 12:49 AM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: dfahey]
redearthling Offline
Contributor

Oh my God!!! I am mortified. I have been away from work with a couple of bouts of flu and just returned and logged in to find the post about surgical needles!!! I must have left myself logged in on a work computer and someone (I have a good idea who) has decided to make a mockery of me. I apologise to anyone who took that seriously. I do, however, appreciate the other posts re vellus hair treatment. I consider most of the regular posters professionals and so like to hear your opinions re treatment.

Just to put minds at ease, my electrologist uses F2 sized probes. I don't know if that means anything to anyone in the US (I am in Australia), but another practitioner here said that is what she would use for vellus hair.

I would like some feedback re my work done so far but will have to write more after work.

Once again, apologies smile

#102053 - 10/26/12 12:32 PM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: redearthling]
S.Tehfe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: sydney NSW Australia
Like Dee and Josefa i love working on vellus hairs they are my favourite . Vellus hairs are superficial hairs therefore a probe with the shortest exposed tip must be used.F2 is perfect i also use laurier 003 with no problem.

Edited by S.Tehfe (10/26/12 12:55 PM)

#102057 - 10/26/12 07:51 PM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: S.Tehfe]
depilacionelectr
Unregistered

Oh yes Sahar, working on this type of hair "vellus" is really satisfying. Whatever the strategy, the selection of the longest hair, or to clean anything that the eye can catch, the customer be always happy.

#102065 - 10/27/12 12:02 AM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: ]
beate_r Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Hattersheim, Germany
Indeed. As long as pain is not an issue. My preferred modality is multiplex, and usually a short flash pulse of just 1/1000 s with an intensity of 75-90% is needed to release those hairs reliably (in the 100 EL range).

It should, however, be informed consent with the client, that the density of the hairs may reach or even exceed the density of a fully developed male beard - with the obvious consequences on the time needed for a really full treatment.

BTW: many of my vellus/fine hair clients have at least two different kinds of hairs: some "accelerated" vellus or maybe better very fine terminal hairs on a background of real vellus hairs. Clearly distinguishable since both are present predominantly in telogen stage (initially...).

Elektroepilation Dr. Beate Ritzert
http://epi.ritzert.net/en/

#102177 - 10/31/12 11:53 AM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: beate_r]
redearthling Offline
Contributor

beate_r, that is the type of problem I have... I see all the tiny, blonde "normal" vellus all over my face, but then I have accelerated vellus (1cm or longer) down the sides of my face and across my cheeks/jaw and under the chin area, that have more pigment in the end of them. This is what I am aiming to remove. I have days when I am extremely happy with the result, and then, when i get the re-growth, it is a bit depressing, as I think it looks just as bad, as the shorter growth is still darker hair. I have now had 13 hrs of work done at a cost exceeding $1200 (electrolysis is not cheap here) and there are many of the dark, long hairs that haven't even been touched once yet. The lady I go to says she prefers to undertreat to prevent skin damage, but I had hoped it would be moving along a little faster. I also hate that I can see the re-growth and she always misses most of what I see, and that is when she should be treating it. Finally, I want to ask if the hairs around the mouth and chin are tougher to treat generally, as I get fast re-growth in these areas. The hairs are still fine, not terminal.

Thanks.

#102178 - 10/31/12 12:54 PM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: redearthling]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Indeed a case like yours seems “easy” but could be called the “Olympics of hair removal." Such a case like yours is perfect for the insulated needle and the automated thermolysis units. It’s a challenge because these hairs are shallow and, consequently, the potential for skin damage must be considered. (Your 13 hours so far is not a-typical.)

I’ve just come to the end of a massive “beard case” on a very wonderful woman (she was plucking … then shaving … and now nothing). Now that the shaving has ceased, the “undergrowth” has appeared.

Explanation: since tiny (vellus-type) hairs grow slower than large terminal hairs, the on-going (daily) shaving “hides” the tiny hairs: the patient does not realize these hairs even exist! Once the large terminal hairs are removed, and shaving stops, these “vellus” hairs appear. They were always there; the electrolysis did not convert the terminal hairs into vellus hairs.

I know this is not your case, but thought it might be helpful to point this out to other patients that are experiencing this very common phenomenon. To be honest … I’m PRAYING that is terrific client does not notice these nearly microscopic hairs. So far, she is not focusing on them. (I did point them out and explained what happened.) My forte is not “vellus hair” so I will recommend my favorite colleague in the area that loves this work and is better at it that I. (This little town is great: all of us in the field work together and are not competitive. It's ONLY what the client needs!)

#125478 - 12/20/17 04:02 PM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: redearthling]
ingeileen1991 Offline
Contributor

Hello

I would like you to clarify to me what they refer to with vellus (peach fuzz??). Because for example I have fine hair but clearly visible without glasses in my stomach. I have been dealing with electrolysis and I have found an improvement although in some hairs I have seen that they have become a little thicker and more visible. Do you consider that the treatment for these hairs is effective with electrolysis?

Thanks for your help

#125481 - 12/20/17 07:31 PM Re: vellus hair treatment [Re: ingeileen1991]
Josefa M. Reina Offline
Contributor

Originally Posted By ingeileen1991
Hello

I would like you to clarify to me what they refer to with vellus (peach fuzz??). Because for example I have fine hair but clearly visible without glasses in my stomach. I have been dealing with electrolysis and I have found an improvement although in some hairs I have seen that they have become a little thicker and more visible. Do you consider that the treatment for these hairs is effective with electrolysis?

Thanks for your help

Sure, if you can see the hairs, electrolysis can eliminate them, whatever their size, color, and phase.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Electrolysis Exam Secrets ... warning!
by Ton
03:14 PM
Newbie With a Few Questions
by roslynholcomb
02:26 PM
Advice: Should I switch to someone who uses blend?
by Iluv2zap
12:03 PM
Hello again! Looking for advice and opinions.
by roslynholcomb
11:53 AM
One month on...
by Iluv2zap
11:21 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9633
James W. Walker VII 8052
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3224
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod