Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#124631 - 09/09/17 11:11 PM Re: TEMPORARY SIDE EFFECTS WITH ELECTROLYSIS [Re: dfahey]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
I'm not sure who I'm addressing here ... palerose or Howard Shore? Nevertheless ... my own take on your situation:

First off, even though it takes me (on average) less than 100 hours to remove a man's beard, I will never do extensive work, say, clear the face in only one week; or multiple hours in one day.

For this reason, I only take body cases, not beard cases, if they are coming from a distant city. The body can withstand "marathon" sessions ... but from what I do the face will usually react with long-term marks,(NOT permanent ... long-term). Others will disagree with me, but this is my own experience.

Your only remedy for "red marks" is to find an excellent "cover make-up." What you are seeing is angiogenesis (blood vessels regrowing) and there is no treatment that can, or should, interfere with this normal healthy skin response.

If your physician has given you "pills," he's assuming you have some sort of infection. These antibiotics are powerful and designed specifically for skin infections. Such medications as Keflex (or Zithromax)are good ones ... (Still, I don't think that's what is going on. But DO finish the pills, just in case!)

Over the years, I have seen negative results from being too aggressive on the face (beard). This is especially true if local anesthetic is being used ... with "no pain," the operator seems to go "balls-to-the-wind" and thus creates (temporary) problems.

I'm always thinking of one factor: the finished product. And, that should be a lifetime of perfect skin. Frankly, there is no client that can push me into doing more than I know is safe. (A few weeks ago I dismissed a client that would not follow safety instructions and pushed me ... in this case too far).

Edited by Michael Bono (09/09/17 11:16 PM)

Thread Sponsors
#125445 - 12/17/17 07:27 AM Re: TEMPORARY SIDE EFFECTS WITH ELECTROLYSIS [Re: Michael Bono]
Josefa M. Reina Offline
Major Contributor

In order not to use the "Before & After electrolysis" thread to describe and document the temporary side effects with electrolysis, I would like to continue this interesting topic here. Since this thread is anchored, it will be much easier to find the necessary information regarding what can happen after an electrolysis treatment.

HYPERPIGMENTATION:

Before (July 2014):

5 months later. Before second clearance (December 2014):

7 months later. Before third clearance (July 2015):

11 months later. Before fourth clearance (June 2016)

As you can see, 3 clearings made in the course of a year have been enough to kill 99% of the hairs. However, hyperpigmentation has taken 2 years to disappear almost completely.

#125446 - 12/17/17 07:53 AM Re: TEMPORARY SIDE EFFECTS WITH ELECTROLYSIS [Re: Josefa M. Reina]
Josefa M. Reina Offline
Major Contributor

ANGIOGENESIS:

A very, very, very common side effect on the fingers and toes.

Before (March 2013)

3 months later (June 2013)

One year later (June 2014):

(A couple of years ago, Hairtell was used to attack me on the false pretext that I was ignoring a question about angiogenesis that had been made to me privately. I just realized that most of the photos about temporary side effects in Hairtell have been posted by me. Funny, right?)

#125448 - 12/17/17 10:19 AM Re: TEMPORARY SIDE EFFECTS WITH ELECTROLYSIS [Re: dfahey]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Gorgeous!

#125598 - 01/02/18 06:21 PM Re: TEMPORARY SIDE EFFECTS WITH ELECTROLYSIS [Re: Josefa M. Reina]
AlineBetancourt Offline
Contributor

Josefa, thanks for those real examples of what temporary side effects are like.

#125601 - 01/03/18 06:15 PM Re: TEMPORARY SIDE EFFECTS WITH ELECTROLYSIS [Re: dfahey]
Arlene R. Batz, CPE Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York City - Queens
Beautiful work, great photo documentation.

#126034 - 03/16/18 07:48 PM Re: TEMPORARY SIDE EFFECTS WITH ELECTROLYSIS [Re: dfahey]
MrsV Offline
Contributor

Hi all, I just had my second weekly 30 minute electrolysis session on my chin and upper lip two days ago. The hair that my electrolysist is focusing on are the darkest and coarsest ones for now, she gets me mostly clear every session minus a few thinner hairs and the hair in my middle of my upper lip. Each time I have a lot of redness, swelling, scabs, and pustules. The day of treatment I usually look normal by bedtime, but the next day the scabbing begins and the following day the pustules are full force. She used a different probe during my last visit to try to minimize my reaction but it seems to be the same. We discussed changing my sessions to 45 minutes every other week to give my skin more time to heal between sessions, but I am in a hurry to get that first round of hairs taken care of (I’m a reformed tweezer). As far as care of my face I am using a cold compress, aloe, witch hazel, and hydrocortisone for inflammation. Should I just deal with this as a normal skin reaction and push through, or switch my treatment schedule?

#126035 - 03/16/18 09:07 PM Re: TEMPORARY SIDE EFFECTS WITH ELECTROLYSIS [Re: MrsV]
zapmyface Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Sadly the only thing I've figured that gave me less skin reactions were to do... less hair! I'd suggest doing some kind of ''thinning'' method instead of clearing the whole area, but if you only do 30min sessions you probably don't have much hair there already. You're in luck because weekly sessions will also mean you'll be gifted with constant redness and pustules for months. Temporary skin reactions like these are normal https://imgur.com/N9LuAa1

#126041 - 03/17/18 01:09 PM Re: TEMPORARY SIDE EFFECTS WITH ELECTROLYSIS [Re: dfahey]
fenix Offline
Top 10 Contributor

MrsV you can try going every other week to see if it makes a big difference. But I would not use so many products at once. I would minimize use of hydrocortisone--it's still a steroid that carries side effects over long term use. Electrolysis is a long term process and use of hydrocortisone with every session is bad in my opinion.

You should attempt Josefa's method of applying a thick layer of bepanthen diaper rash cream and occlude it with plastic wrap for 6 hours to over night. It stops scab formations and reduces redness.
I'm a strong proponent of this method. I used to develop nasty scabs on my some area before doing this.

#126042 - 03/17/18 03:25 PM Re: TEMPORARY SIDE EFFECTS WITH ELECTROLYSIS [Re: fenix]
Josefa M. Reina Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By fenix
MrsV you can try going every other week to see if it makes a big difference. But I would not use so many products at once. I would minimize use of hydrocortisone--it's still a steroid that carries side effects over long term use. Electrolysis is a long term process and use of hydrocortisone with every session is bad in my opinion.

You should attempt Josefa's method of applying a thick layer of bepanthen diaper rash cream and occlude it with plastic wrap for 6 hours to over night. It stops scab formations and reduces redness.
I'm a strong proponent of this method. I used to develop nasty scabs on my some area before doing this.

WOW!!!

Hi Fenix, thank you for trusting and confirming my impressions. It's great that we have come to the same conclusion. laugh

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Reaction to tea tree oil: aftercare
by moatleaf
09:36 PM
Pls help: What is/are settings for curly follicle?
by melb_aussie
08:30 PM
Thermolysis on thick facial hair (+Photos)
by Kate Blue
01:15 AM
Guidance on after care
by fenix
07:57 PM
All about Laser Hair Removal (LHR) in a long shot
by Silvana
07/17/18 02:51 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9689
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4157
Michael Bono 3450
Who's Online
0 registered (), 122 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod