Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#125875 - 02/25/18 03:27 AM Sensing the bottom of the follicle with probe
Kellie Offline
Contributor

I'm surprised not to hear experienced electrologists mention about sensing/feeling when the probe touches the bottom of the follicle. I'd just presumed this is possible and becomes second nature over time.

Rather instead I hear mention of measuring the length of an anagen hair (with the probe) - and then using this as a guide. And also, that experience teaches how deep a follicle is from the look of the hair. However, both these are a different process to directly sensing the probe pressing against the bottom of the follicle (regardless of the depth of the follicle).

Also, it's common to see images in instruction manuals showing a probe having (incorrectly) pierced the base of a follicle and extended beyond it. This seems surprising as well, given tissues tend to remarkably strong - in conjunction with several needle manufactures describing their probes as featuring smooth rounded ends/points.

Is it not possible to learn to 'feel' through the probe, when it touches the base of the follicle?

Sponsored Links
#125886 - 02/25/18 06:50 PM Re: Sensing the bottom of the follicle with probe [Re: Kellie]
fenix Offline
Top 10 Contributor

I have high powered magnification where I see my probes go beyond the bulb easily with no pain. If follicle have bottoms, how come I'm not feeling any pain from supposedly piercing it if I go beyond the bulb itself?

Edited by fenix (02/25/18 06:51 PM)

#125890 - 02/25/18 07:51 PM Re: Sensing the bottom of the follicle with probe [Re: fenix]
Kellie Offline
Contributor

Originally Posted By fenix
If follicle have bottoms, how come I'm not feeling any pain from supposedly piercing it if I go beyond the bulb itself?

I am guessing because even if the probes have smooth or rounded ends, that because they are so thin (relative to even a 30g injection needle) that they can pierce tissue quite easily. Especially if the 'membrane' at the bottom is very thin and delicate.

When you mention that due to high magnification, you can 'see my probes go beyond the bulb easily with no pain'. Are you meaning that you can 'see' through the skin somewhat (because of it being translucent as such magnification)?

For reference, what magnification (and type) are you using, please.

#125891 - 02/25/18 09:12 PM Re: Sensing the bottom of the follicle with probe [Re: Kellie]
hairy Harry Offline
Major Contributor

Can I just ask here about treating the lip area (diy, One Touch) I removed a few hairs using the One Touch but probe didn't seem to go into the folical, I just let it rest on the area for a few seconds, maybe 10 seconds, and the lye bubbled out, I tried to poke it into the pore but it just kept bending so I left it on the surface of the skin and the hair slid out when I tweezed...
So,does the lip area not need as deep a probe as the chin area?

#125966 - 03/04/18 11:36 AM Re: Sensing the bottom of the follicle with probe [Re: Kellie]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
The One Touch tip/probe/needle is too large to fit into an average upper lip hair follicle opening.

As for teaching the sensing of the inside of the follicle and how to feel the base, it was one of the hardest things for me to teach my students.

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Blanching
by Kate Blue
Today at 12:14 AM
Electrologist referral
by duma
Yesterday at 07:39 PM
Black Hole
by Josefa M. Reina
06/23/18 03:21 PM
Countries where we can not work legally
by adrien_sanchiz
06/23/18 06:38 AM
Old dudes ...
by dfahey
06/22/18 10:34 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9677
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4157
Michael Bono 3425
Who's Online
0 registered (), 150 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod