Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#125857 - 02/23/18 10:34 PM Re: My experience, theories and questions [Re: zapmyface]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Well, you can do the experiments ... but they have already been done. Forty years of my experience (and experimentation) and 30 years of Josefa with identical findings. Let me tell you that even in the face of overwhelming data, photos, documentation, etc., there is little chance of changing anybody's mind on this silly issue. Why?

Well, that's simple. If the person is doing "anagen only" and follows one of a few protocols to achieve this, they WILL get good results. Once they see success, they assume that what they are doing is correct. I could say more on this, but after 40 years of talking I can't do it any more.

Zap on!

Edited by Michael Bono (02/23/18 10:34 PM)

Thread Sponsors
#125859 - 02/24/18 05:28 AM Re: My experience, theories and questions [Re: zapmyface]
zapmyface Offline
Top 20 Contributor

It's more so to convince my electrologist, because I know she believes in that stuff. I like her a lot and the zapping works, but she has an obsession with clearing the hair as soon as it appears every single week.

I find it a bit tiring for my skin (temporary reactions), transport-wise and especially mentally. I'd much rather prefer longer sessions once every few weeks instead, since I can somehow withstand the pain.

Thanks for chatting with me!

#125866 - 02/24/18 10:41 AM Re: My experience, theories and questions [Re: zapmyface]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Oh my ... maybe I should just shut up at this point?

Although this idea is debated (by scholars in the field) it is a certainty that collagen turnover (that heals the skin) is broken-down and restarted by any near-by inflammation. (The job of the macrophages is to "eat up" anything that appears damaged ... so, they go after the newly forming collagen too. They aren't too smart!)

That means that the week of your skin healing (collagen turnover starts within a couple days) starts all over when the same area is zapped again. Will this have any long-term effect? Frankly, I do NOT know and have not seen any evidence of this. The effect might even be beneficial (but I doubt it). It is, however, a debate among dermatologists.

What is interesting is your own human reaction to continuous treatment (with only a week's time in-between). Lots of times, you own body is TRYING to tell you something. I go by a very simple rule: if it hurts too much, or feels wrong ... don't do it!

My opinion is that our body (skin) is smarter than we are ... maybe we should listen to it?

#125867 - 02/24/18 11:12 AM Re: My experience, theories and questions [Re: zapmyface]
zapmyface Offline
Top 20 Contributor

No please don't shut up, I like this conversation!

I personally didn't experience permanent effects because of it, and wouldn't have minded going every single week (and get continuous temporary reactions) if there was a higher chance of destroying the hair. But with what I know now, I'm pretty convinced now that waiting for the hair to grow won't change a thing in the kill rate.

What old electro-mystery shall we debunk today?

Now that I think about it, I had done a little test on those ''creams'' that people love to put on their faces so much. I tried a few creams after my treatments because, well, people wanted me to, so I aggreed even though I always found them ridiculously useless. I slathered them a few times on half of a treated area and, surprise surprise, absolutely no difference. If anything, the area with none seemed to repair itself faster. As you can see, I love doing little experiments like that.

#125868 - 02/24/18 12:45 PM Re: My experience, theories and questions [Re: zapmyface]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

I think (okay, I know) you are too damned smart for the average electrologist ... tee hee

(The average educational background of the majority of electrologists is high school. Not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, just saying ... )

#125879 - 02/25/18 08:26 AM Re: My experience, theories and questions [Re: zapmyface]
Josefa M. Reina Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By zapmyface

What old electro-mystery shall we debunk today?

Now that I think about it, I had done a little test on those ''creams'' that people love to put on their faces so much. I tried a few creams after my treatments because, well, people wanted me to, so I aggreed even though I always found them ridiculously useless. I slathered them a few times on half of a treated area and, surprise surprise, absolutely no difference. If anything, the area with none seemed to repair itself faster. As you can see, I love doing little experiments like that.

Your good predisposition to practice as a guinea pig is admirable. I propose an experiment that I have wanted to carry out some time ago.

This is a comparative study using an ointment with a high content of dexpanthenol (pro-vitamin B5) with occlusion in a post-electrolysis area as long as possible during the first 5 or 6 days, and only water and soap in another post-electrolysis area.

What do you say? would you do it?

#125881 - 02/25/18 08:57 AM Re: My experience, theories and questions [Re: Josefa M. Reina]
zapmyface Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Absolutely, why not!

I'm not quite ready to restart my electro sessions yet, however as soon as I do, I'll gladly try your little experiment (assuming I can find the ointment and it doesn't cost a fortune). I'll keep an eye for it whenever I go shopping from now on.

Does ''with occlusion'' mean wrapping it with plastic? If so, how long? Do I need to reapply every time it dries?

#125882 - 02/25/18 10:22 AM Re: My experience, theories and questions [Re: zapmyface]
Josefa M. Reina Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By zapmyface
Absolutely, why not!

I'm not quite ready to restart my electro sessions yet, however as soon as I do, I'll gladly try your little experiment (assuming I can find the ointment and it doesn't cost a fortune). I'll keep an eye for it whenever I go shopping from now on.

Does ''with occlusion'' mean wrapping it with plastic? If so, how long? Do I need to reapply every time it dries?

https://www.bayer.com/en/bepanthen.aspx

Yes, apply a generous layer and wrap in plastic as long as possible during the 5 or 6 days after treatment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19753737

Edited by Josefa M. Reina (02/25/18 10:26 AM)
Edit Reason: add information

#125883 - 02/25/18 10:51 AM Re: My experience, theories and questions [Re: zapmyface]
zapmyface Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Ok, I found it online in case I can't find it in person.

I have an idea, why not do it on each armpit area after a treatment so I don’t have to cover my skin with some annoying plastic for 5 days lol. Both tested area won’t be too exposed since it’s a crease, as I have a feeling being in occlusion would play a more important role in healing than the actual ointment (I could be wrong). Does that seem fair?

#125885 - 02/25/18 05:21 PM Re: My experience, theories and questions [Re: zapmyface]
Josefa M. Reina Offline
Major Contributor

Do you think that the plastic cover is what promotes healing? ummm, I do not think so. Anyone who works with gloves usually knows that if you have a wound on your hands, whatever material the gloves are made of, (latex, vinyl, nitrile) the wound will end up infected if you do not use any insulation between the injured skin and the glove.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Blanching
by Kate Blue
Today at 12:14 AM
Electrologist referral
by duma
Yesterday at 07:39 PM
Black Hole
by Josefa M. Reina
06/23/18 03:21 PM
Countries where we can not work legally
by adrien_sanchiz
06/23/18 06:38 AM
Old dudes ...
by dfahey
06/22/18 10:34 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9677
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4157
Michael Bono 3425
Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod