Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#127598 - 09/09/18 09:56 AM Re: Electrolysis Business for sale [Re: Iluv2zap]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
"Cutting 'em some slack." No "firm policy" for me!

On the "no show & cancellation policy;" my own take is that ...it all depends! Here's what I mean.

I have a client with a minuscule amount of facial hair. The maximum I'm going to earn from this client will be about $250. The client wants immediate appointments, often cancels at the time of the appointment and has missed several appointments.

Another client is terrific on all counts: grateful, happy and successful. The client has been late a couple times (missed one appointment), but apologetic; and I understand the situation. So far, this client has spent more than $12,000 on electrology.

So, which client do you think should be charged for missing appointments or being late?

My point is that I do not have a strict policy ... it depends on who is giving me the grief. And remember, very graciously dismissing a troublesome client is, in my opinion, appropriate. In most cases, those causing you most of your anguish are VERY FEW clients. Just weed 'em out and be happy!

Thread Sponsors
#127599 - 09/09/18 02:08 PM Re: Electrolysis Business for sale [Re: Iluv2zap]
TheFlyingProbe Online
Major Contributor

I started the weeding out process several months ago when I first noticed the domino effect and I can tell it helped. I freaked out over this whole issue to a great degree because it pushed me into a moderately serious financial crisis that remains ongoing. I've had great advice from electrologists willing to share their personal experiences on this issue. I appreciate the feedback.

#127607 - 09/11/18 12:07 PM Re: Electrolysis Business for sale [Re: Iluv2zap]
Arlene R. Batz, CPE Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York City - Queens
I would never encourage anyone to enter into a business unless they have the support of a partner who can provide the health insurance and weekly income.

With us, one week might be good enough to cover our overhead, the next week might not.

It is very gratifying to be able to help end the distress caused by unwanted hair. Every time I clear a face, I am reminded, as a former bearded lady, that I have some purpose in life.

If you are able to work from home, lucky you. That cuts down on expenses and then perhaps you might not have to give up your business completely. Is it even possible to do the work part-time, see fewer people and only keep the clients who are responsible?

#127608 - 09/11/18 02:34 PM Re: Electrolysis Business for sale [Re: Iluv2zap]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Well the inability to work from my home,is the reason for my high office rental costs. I'm already "all in" for about $15000 in renovations when I opened shop and the approximately $1400 office rent. It's too big a space for me, but was what was available at the time when I needed to open right quick like or stop doing electrology . Those were my options. I chose to rent the office, but that plus hydro, insurance costs , hot water heater, spore testing supplies purchases etc means I have to make $2000-$2400 a month before earning a single dollar to support my family.

Yes, there are some months I can count that money will NOT be coming in, those being December and January, and oddly enough, July and august. I have to come up with enough excess the better months to cover the shortfalls in those months and I'm not doing it. The return of my various students helps a bit in September.

Then, you have what happened to me this year. You see I'm not just an electrologist and businesswoman , I'm also a parent with sole custody of 2 children on the autism spectrum, one, severely so. I literally spent so much time working for nothing to bring home that I couldnt afford proper child care, and, my severely autistic child taken from me for 3 months. I had to hire lawyers ( $3500) and show his care in order to get him back. I stood a very good change of losing him permanently. My children, are hands down the most precious thing in the world to me. I will be a custodial parent to the developmentally disabled for the rest of my natural life no matter how old I get. This is my expected life outcome.

Will I close it at this point? I've gotten through the "crunch" with some help from my partner. Despite the challenges I think I have bettered my sales figures over last year, and I dont have $15k in renovation costs to subtract . I can survive. And when it comes right down to it, my professional practice has become my pride and Joy. I have a good bunch of very loyal clients who have made significant progress on schedule toward their goals.

At present I am considering uprooting, most probably to Vancouver Island ( Nanaimo or Victoria). But because of further custody issues with my youngest, am having to put off those plans, possibly for up to 7 years. If that happens ( which it looks like it might) I'm on the lookout for a less expensive office space that more closely suits my needs. It would also put me established here too long to back out and establish the practice elsewhere.
And that is the thing, I really dont like the City of ottawa.I want to leave. I want to leave soon. And one way or another that is exactly what I am going to do.

As for the no show, late, or non-paying clients, I can comisserate. I had to fire one of my clients on Saturday for exactly these reasons. However having specific, enforced policies on payment, no show late or missed appointments is to your benefit.Dont lose a moments sleep over it either.

When self employed one has to remember who it is FOR. It is not the clients who your business is for, it is for you to earn an income ( no matter how small) . Your "cost of doing business" that is the threshold you must reach before you earn anything, has to be proportional to the reward. If all of what you are making is only paying for the cost of doing business, that is no good and eventually you will close, as I may have to at some point.
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

#127609 - 09/11/18 03:32 PM Re: Electrolysis Business for sale [Re: Iluv2zap]
TheFlyingProbe Online
Major Contributor

I have low overhead since I work from home, however, the vast majority of my clients do not take their treatments seriously enough to follow through or even show up for scheduled appointments. I get excellent results, on par with some of the electrologists that post on this forum. Another problem is that business is slow. Even with low overhead, I feel like I am spinning my wheels for a business that just isn't there. Yet I keep going for reasons I do not fully understand.

#127610 - 09/11/18 04:22 PM Re: Electrolysis Business for sale [Re: Iluv2zap]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Well, I have one suggestion: Use your REAL name; not "FlyingProbe."

I know we have exchanged emails, but because you don't use your real name here ... or show details of where you are located (e.g., a website) ... I forget who you are; and so do potential clients.

At the moment, more than half of my clients are from Hairtell. Let people know who you are. What's the secret?

It's like they say about advertising: "Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you're doing, but nobody else does." (I like that one.)

#127612 - 09/11/18 06:41 PM Re: Electrolysis Business for sale [Re: Iluv2zap]
TheFlyingProbe Online
Major Contributor

Every electrologist I have spoken with on this issue has encouraged me to continue, along with great advice, however, I have crunched the numbers and the outcome is not good. My electrolysis practice is officially a charity organization!

#127613 - 09/11/18 06:54 PM Re: Electrolysis Business for sale [Re: Iluv2zap]
TheFlyingProbe Online
Major Contributor

Michael, I will be sending you a private email on this issue. I want to keep it off Hairtell.

#127614 - 09/11/18 08:22 PM Re: Electrolysis Business for sale [Re: Iluv2zap]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

The Flying Probe,
That's the difference beteen "low overhead" and "working from home"

I hate to say it, but the business presence does make a difference to how you are percieved and treated by potential clients. I would not have half the clients that I do, if I did not have a proper office.

Seana

Edited by Iluv2zap (09/11/18 08:24 PM)
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

#127618 - 09/11/18 08:40 PM Re: Electrolysis Business for sale [Re: Iluv2zap]
TheFlyingProbe Online
Major Contributor

Well, that's not the issue here. I am struggling and fighting the forces against me in a medium-sized city with a depressed local economy. I don't have the advantage of living in a large metro area. I could rent office space in a palace, but if the phone never rings, what's the point?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Guidance on after care
by HairByHair
07:00 AM
Newbie journey
by MrsV
10:54 PM
Best Laser Hair Removal UAE
by Deedra
10:52 PM
Electrologist referral
by Arlene R. Batz, CPE
06:08 PM
Paradoxical Laser Hair Stimulation
by Silvana
03:26 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
Deedra 9711
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4158
Michael Bono 3490
Who's Online
1 registered (MDC2018), 137 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod