Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#12680 - 05/31/02 02:30 AM Re: Diode laser clinical data
RJC2001 Offline

Top Ten Contributor

Loc: USA
Electra, that is probably the hair falling out. For some reason, it takes longer for the hair to fall out with the Lightsheer than with the Apogee (alexandrite). Maybe it's because the hair is singed more with the Lightsheer and is stuck in place for awhile.

I had the back of my neck treated a little more than two weeks ago and there is still some hair that has yet to fall out. It ios singed hair because it does not come off when i shave, but all of a sudden it will start falling out. I have had some hair take 3 weeks to fall out with the diode laser. From what I hear that is normal.

It normally takes at least a month for any regrowth to occur unless the doctor simply missed a spot. The way I understand it, hair that regrows was not in the growth cycle at the time of your last treatment. That's why multiple treatments are needed.

Hope this helps.

RJC2001

Sponsored Links
#12681 - 05/31/02 03:29 AM Re: Diode laser clinical data
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Los Angeles
Electra, glad your burn is looking better. If it's dark or discolored, they can sometimes give you a product like hydroquinone to help lighten the area.

As always, RJC has provided excellent info that corroborates other consumer experiences. Based on letters I've gotten over the years, diodes require more expertise than other lasers, and hair seems to respond somewhat differently depending on the wavelength of the laser.

I am already so impressed with all our posters, and it's only been a month! Thanks to everyone for participating! [Cool]

[ May 30, 2002, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

#12682 - 05/31/02 03:21 PM Re: Diode laser clinical data
Diman Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hello,

Maybe you are able to help me.

What is the difference between the Light Sheer Diode Laser and the GentleLASE Plus Laser. Because the things I have read seems that the is quicker because it has a maximum spot of 18 mm. Therefore it covers larger body area's in less time. Also it has an intercooler system wich seems to me quite friendly to skin.

Does anyone no if the GentleLASE Plus Laser is a good Laser. And as they claim even better than the Light Sheer Diode Laser.

Excuse me for my English, because it is not my language. I'm from Europe.

Here from you

#12683 - 05/31/02 05:04 PM Re: Diode laser clinical data
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

Welcome, Diman!

The GentleLASE Plus is an alexandrite laser. which is different than a diode laser. The GentleLASE is a very popular model, because of its inexpensive price and often good results.

There is not much information on whether one laser type is better than another, because there are very few comparative studies. Consumers who have tried both say that the diode lasers seem to be stronger, but that they also seem to cause more side effects. It's hard to say whether the diode is more effective than the alexandrites like GentleLASE.

The alexandrites have more clinical data available. For a review of medical data on both, please see:

Hairfacts: alexandrite medical data

Hairfacts: diode medical data

#12684 - 06/01/02 03:57 AM Re: Diode laser clinical data
RJC2001 Offline

Top Ten Contributor

For me the diode laser (Lightsheer ET) has been more effective. I have had less pain and redness with the Lighstsheer than with the Apogee (alexandrite) at the same fluence levels. The Lightsheer has higher fluence levels available too.

As my treatment progressed and I had finer hairs left the Lighsheer was more effective at targeting them. The compression applied with the Lighsheer made a noticeable difference in the amoung of hair removed too.

The Apogee did a good job, too. So the GentleLase is worth considering if treatments are a lot cheaper. But I would disagree that the Gentle Lase is better than the Lighsheer. If you have light skin you can take advantage of the Lightsheers higher fluence levels (60J). My last two treatments were at 45J and that did make a noticeable difference in the amount of hair removed. And there was less post treatment redness and pain than with the Apogee at 40J.

Even the rep for Sciton, who makes Nd:YAG lasers, admitted that the Lightsheer is recognized as the best hair removal laser on the market.

RJC2001

#12685 - 06/01/02 11:47 AM Re: Diode laser clinical data
Diman Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hello Diman again,

Thank you Andrea and RJC2001 for your quick and trustable answers. I will read the information in the links you have posted on this forum.

So RJC2001 you have good results with the Lightsheer Diode Laser. This is the only Laser wich is available for treatment in the Netherlands, therefor I am glad that others, besides you, do think positive about this Laser.

Andrea is there at the moment information available considering "parmanent" hair removal? I mean how many years will stay hairs away? Or is it to soon to tell.

I consider to have a trial treatment in December 2002 (in about 6/7 moths), because then it is winter in the Netherlands. Very cold as you can imagine. The reason is because I have skintype 2 or 3 and I want to avoid pigments spots. Is this a good reason considering my skin?

Talk to you soon

Diman sends greeting from the Netherlands.

#12686 - 06/02/02 12:58 AM Re: Diode laser clinical data
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

quote:
Originally posted by Diman:
Andrea is there at the moment information available considering "parmanent" hair removal? I mean how many years will stay hairs away? Or is it to soon to tell.

Diman, most these devices have only been available since 1997 or later, so long-term results are not fully known.

Permanent hair removal is a confusing issue. You may find it helpful to review some of the information I have compiled regarding this:

Hairfacts: Permanent hair removal-- a disputed term

[ June 01, 2002, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

#12687 - 06/02/02 05:20 AM Re: Diode laser clinical data
RJC2001 Offline

Top Ten Contributor

If you are a sun worshipper it is probably better to wait util winter. If not, you can start right away.

Those who are light-skinned are less likely to have pigmentation problems.

I am relatively dark skinned and have never had any pigmentation problems. I do not get laser treatments during the summer though bacause I don't want to have to stay out of the sun all summer.

Since you are light skinned they'll be able to treat you at a higher fluence level. The Lightsheer is good for this as it can provide up to 60 J.

RJC2001

#12688 - 06/02/02 08:31 PM Re: Diode laser clinical data
electra Offline

Thanks RJC and (of course!) Andrea, for your wonderful advice, knowledge and support...I'll probably be writing in again after my next visit! Best regards! [Cool]

#12689 - 06/04/02 05:55 PM Re: Diode laser clinical data
TallDark&Hairy Offline

Loc: Dallas
quote:
Originally posted by RJC2001:
If you don't mind my asking how much did the treatment cost and is it part of a package? Just to compare, my dermatologist charges $200 to do the upper lip. It used to be $100 I believe. They have just had a significant rate increase, but as an existing patient I get 50% off each treatment. Glad I am almost done. My last hour-long treatment was $65. I thought that seemed kind of low. Now the minimum treatment will be $100. It was too good to last I suppose.

If you don't mind my asking, which state do you live in? I'm pricing laser hair removal in Dallas, TX, and the lowest price I'm able to find is ~$220/treatment for just my upper back!

If I can't find a better price, I may not have the procedure done...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
All about Laser Hair Removal (LHR) in a long shot
by Silvana
Yesterday at 02:51 PM
Tweezers
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Guidance on after care
by Pkanji
Yesterday at 02:31 PM
Laser hair removal in London
by Applepie
07/16/18 03:18 PM
Soprano Platinum 3 lasers in 1. Is it good?
by Camouflage
07/15/18 07:20 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9689
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4157
Michael Bono 3450
Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod