Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#127188 - 07/08/18 04:38 PM Timeframe for clearing up ingrowns on thigh?
FTM042014 Offline
Contributor

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Hi all. I posted here months ago about my struggle with ingrown hairs dotted over an 8in x 8in region of my top to outer thigh. I have now been undergoing electrolysis for over a year now with about a 4 month break.

I am black with soft but kinky hair. Each session greatly weakens the hairs and as they come back they get trapped under the skin forming brown dots everywhere. I see some progress but not as much as I'd like.

Should it be taking this long? Can I expect clear skin eventually? If I just need to be patient I can do that but I nees to be sure this is all even working. Is this normal?

Thread Sponsors
#127189 - 07/08/18 08:19 PM Re: Timeframe for clearing up ingrowns on thigh? [Re: FTM042014]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

It should take a lot longer. 12-18 months is the MINIMUM time required to remove all the hair permanently if and only if you are removing all of the hair over that time period and are having effective treatment.Your 4 month break, is going to cause some issues. If you dont get enough effective treatment duering that period, it can take longer.
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

#127190 - 07/08/18 09:00 PM Re: Timeframe for clearing up ingrowns on thigh? [Re: Iluv2zap]
FTM042014 Offline
Contributor

Okay thanks for that info. I am going to look into laser as I've been told it is quite effective on a wide area of ingrowns.

#127191 - 07/09/18 10:53 AM Re: Timeframe for clearing up ingrowns on thigh? [Re: FTM042014]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
"Each session greatly weakens the hairs and as they come back they get trapped under the skin forming brown dots everywhere."

Huh? the hairs should not "come back!"

Q. Are you wearing tight pants in the area that is prone to ingrown hairs?

#127192 - 07/09/18 11:27 AM Re: Timeframe for clearing up ingrowns on thigh? [Re: Michael Bono]
FTM042014 Offline
Contributor

Not at all. I'm a guy, not that men don't wear tight pants. I am prone to ingrowns. From your reply I gather that you are saying a hair should NOT grow back after having been treated, correct? Everything I have been told and have read says it can take at least a year for the hair to not grow back at all. Is that not accurate?

#127193 - 07/09/18 11:32 AM Re: Timeframe for clearing up ingrowns on thigh? [Re: FTM042014]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

It takes a year for all the hair follicles capable of growing a hair to come into a growth phase and produce a hair.At any given time, only a small percentage of the hair follicles capable of producing a hair, are actually showing ahir present in the follicle. It's not that new hairs wont come in, it's that they should not be the same hairs you "killed" in the last clearance. Those should be dead. If they are coming in, finer, that would be indicative of under-treatment and that they were not in fact destroyed.
Also note that repeated undertreatment of hairs with electrolysis can lead to a permanent buildup of wound collogen in the affected follicles, resulting in what is known as "pebbling" ( Michaels very descriptive term) which is a form of permanent scarring.

Seana

Edited by Iluv2zap (07/09/18 11:36 AM)

#127196 - 07/09/18 04:14 PM Re: Timeframe for clearing up ingrowns on thigh? [Re: Iluv2zap]
FTM042014 Offline
Contributor

Oh no. That is not good. Could this be why I still see these brown spots? What course of action should I take? After this many treatments I feel as though there should be clear skin. I am now at a loss of what to do and am very concerned.

#127197 - 07/09/18 04:52 PM Re: Timeframe for clearing up ingrowns on thigh? [Re: FTM042014]
FTM042014 Offline
Contributor

Pic for reference.

#127199 - 07/09/18 07:45 PM Re: Timeframe for clearing up ingrowns on thigh? [Re: FTM042014]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

The brown spots appear to be Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation, and this condition resolves 100% after the treatment stops. It does often take a while ( 6-18 months not unusual) but it does slowly fade away and resolve completely.
I often get hyperpigmentation in the summer from hives in the summer hen I'm exposed to laundry detergent I'm allergic to on my clients as I treat them, by next spring it is always resolved and returns anew a few months later when I'm exposed again.

The presentation of PIH can be caused by either laser, or electrolysis even waxing..
Note that I dont see any indication of the beginnings of pebbling in your picture. Regrowing hairs can be caused by a lot of different things, one is undertreatment, another is inaccurate insertions. If the hair follicles are distorted ( as in the case of most ingrown hairs) it can be very difficult to ascertain exactly where the energy needs to be delivered, which can account for a high rate of regrowth. This wouldnt necessarily be the fault of the electrologist, if you came to them with a leg full of ingrown hairs Waxing is a common cause of ingrowns/distorted follicles and it too can cause pebbling.

Edited by Iluv2zap (07/09/18 07:51 PM)

#127200 - 07/09/18 10:18 PM Re: Timeframe for clearing up ingrowns on thigh? [Re: Iluv2zap]
FTM042014 Offline
Contributor

That is quite informative and very helpful. The darkest spots are raised up and hard, and clearly have a tiny hair curled under them that cannot break the skin yet. The smooth brown spots are lighter. Some have a pinpoint size black mark in the center. Some do not. I was just hoping for more completely clear surface area by now. I plan to see an esthetician anyway. I also try to gently exfoliate.

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
All about Laser Hair Removal (LHR) in a long shot
by Silvana
02:51 PM
Tweezers
by Iluv2zap
02:32 PM
Guidance on after care
by Pkanji
02:31 PM
Laser hair removal in London
by Applepie
07/16/18 03:18 PM
Soprano Platinum 3 lasers in 1. Is it good?
by Camouflage
07/15/18 07:20 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9689
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4157
Michael Bono 3450
Who's Online
0 registered (), 122 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod