Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#127693 - 09/26/18 03:42 PM Re: Looking for a marathon electrologist [Re: Michael Bono]
TSTimmi Offline
Contributor

So I'll most likely end up the DIY route. I have a question for you in that regard, since you literally wrote the book, I was under the impression from what I have read here and elsewhere that I should be doing blend on my face and thus looking for a blend capable machine? I've been contemplating the Elite Spectrum model K from Instantron, in fact I'd kind of narrowed it down to that, but I spoke with Dr. Heimlich yesterday over at TES and he suggested I wanted straight thermolysis for face work because of less chance of scarring without the lye production in galvanic work. If that is true I could save 1k and get the SS-99 which Skip at Instantron says is the same machine as the Elite Spectrum except without the galvanic capability. I thought I'd read that thermolysis is much less forgiving of less than perfect insertions of the needle/probe which is certainly a possibility if not a certainty at times given I'm a newbie and will be doing some mirror work. I thought the principle advantage of thermolysis was speed, which if I'm doing it myself in the comfort of my own home every week for a few hours is less of an issue. I also think I read that the follicle "kill" success rate is lower in straight thermolysis.

Thread Sponsors
#127694 - 09/26/18 03:48 PM Re: Looking for a marathon electrologist [Re: Michael Bono]
TSTimmi Offline
Contributor

I get the Intergalactic Institute and laughed but wasn't sure about the ugh? Is there something I should know about MBIE?

#127697 - 09/26/18 07:29 PM Re: Looking for a marathon electrologist [Re: TSTimmi]
Josefa M. Reina Offline

Major Contributor

Originally Posted By TSTimmi
... I also think I read that the follicle "kill" success rate is lower in straight thermolysis.

Do not believe everything you read ... especially when it concerns the capacity of the different electrolysis modalities.

What do you think about these results with straight thermolysis and with a single clearing?

Before:

4 months later:

It is not an example of a beard, but after all, the only thing that differentiates follicles from others is location and size.

#127698 - 09/26/18 08:23 PM Re: Looking for a marathon electrologist [Re: whyme6464]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
The Monterey school is my favorite school of electrology. I alwasy "gulp" a little when such schools, e.g., beauty schools, call themselves colleges, universities or institutes. "Trump University" would be another silly name.

Looking good Jossie!

#127699 - 09/26/18 08:31 PM Re: Looking for a marathon electrologist [Re: whyme6464]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Additionally, the "conversations" on modality have changed very little over the last, nearly 100 years (since 1923 specifically). Like Josefa says ... don't believe any of it. The subject bores me to tears (the alligator type, of course ... I'm all done in.)

Just get a nice simple machine, learn it ... and then after a year or so (as in most cases) get professional treatments. Then again, you might just end-up doing great work? Give it a try.

#127700 - 09/27/18 11:09 AM Re: Looking for a marathon electrologist [Re: whyme6464]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Hi Timmy,
I'm one of the biggest advocates of DIY. While others told me "You're sure to scar yourself permanently" I persisted in teaching myself how to do it effectively and safely.With beautiful scar free results.
And yet, being the biggest advocate for DIY and being an electrologist who works PRIMARILY in thermolysis with great results, you would think I would advocate thermolysis for DIY right? Well, you'd be dead wrong! I only advocate blend or galvanic for DIY work.

Lets look at why I feel that way? Well, the answer is rather simple actually, it comes down to the potential for damage and scarring and the odds of that happening in each modality. I did my entire face in blend. I found it to be a good effective modality and the relative risk, even in the event of overtreatment , was very low indeed.

Thermolysis however, is the only modality to ever cause me any limited scarring.I cut a small nick into my eyebrow , the result of an inaccurate insertion with high level thermolysis, using picoflash and the thermolyis energy cutting a small section of skin. If as an electrologist you've ever used thermolysis to remove a skintag, you know exactly how possibble it is to cut skin with electrcauterization.

Blend however I have never had the limited thermolysis energy be sufficient to cut skin. The levels are lower and it doesnt do that.
When youu are DIY'ing, your insertions, well they arent going to be great, especially when you first start. The potential for damage I would estimate to be exponentially higher with DIY doing thermolysis over DIY blend. So ,that, is why I advocate for blend for DIY purposes . I'm telling you the benefit of what I learned also going through that process. I hope you will pay attention, and learn from the mistakes I already made for you.

Edited by Iluv2zap (09/27/18 11:13 AM)
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

#127701 - 09/27/18 12:05 PM Re: Looking for a marathon electrologist [Re: whyme6464]
Michael Bono Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Timmy ...

Seana's comments are well taken and very sensible. I think you should listen to her; and "go" with her suggestions.

#127702 - 09/27/18 04:16 PM Re: Looking for a marathon electrologist [Re: whyme6464]
Iluv2zap Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Id also like to mention that I too do the odd "Marathon sessions" but Im also in Canada. I tend to recommend fully clearing areas worked on for body areas and I recommend highly limiting the hours of electrolysis per day to about 4 hours.This is because it is exhausting for me and also the client and for most 4 hours in a single day is about as much as many clients can cope with.
http://electrolysisbyseana.com

#127703 - 09/27/18 10:12 PM Re: Looking for a marathon electrologist [Re: whyme6464]
TheFlyingProbe Offline
Major Contributor

I also limit marathon sessions to four hours per day. Two hours in the morning, break for lunch, then two hours in the afternoon seems to be a good balance. I like to finish up around 3 pm. This gives me plenty of time to unwind and relax before dinner without being totally exhausted.

#127707 - 09/28/18 09:45 AM Re: Looking for a marathon electrologist [Re: Iluv2zap]
TSTimmi Offline
Contributor

It's Timmi actually.
Thank you for the advice. I was kind of surprised that Dr. Heimlich was suggesting thermolysis over blend and seemed very concerned about the over production of lye. I know your position on this already, you're the reason I came to this site. I followed you here from asktransgender on reddit. I'm pretty sure I've heard that advice elsewhere as well. Thank you for weighing in, especially since Mr. Bono, in his weariness, was dismissive and unhelpful.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Apilus Platinum Pur for Sale
by laraisk
Today at 09:14 AM
Pro-Tec Probes Recommendations for Apilus
by cryptic
Yesterday at 09:49 PM
Something wrong
by blueberry
Yesterday at 09:11 PM
Apilus Senior II - Manual
by cryptic
Yesterday at 08:54 PM
Guidance on after care
by Pkanji
Yesterday at 04:18 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
Deedra 9725
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4158
Michael Bono 3511
Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod