Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#18096 - 03/05/05 09:50 PM Re: Which to buy *****
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: San Diego, California
See, the Brauns function with little tweezer units (about 36) mounted on a rotating barrel. The tweezers stay open until their part of the barrel rotates toward the skin. If the skin is loose, *ahhem*, if you're a guy you know where this is (keep this post clean so it doesn't get moved into "Mature Topics"), then the tweezers will grab available loose skin instead of just hair. This results in a small "pinch" from the little tweezer. It's not really as bad as you may think, but it does leave sometimes raw redness to the point of sometimes letting of a drop or two of blood. I know what you're thinking, "how grim!" But it's really not like that. You learn what you can and can't do very quickly. If you really want to go the epilating route on a long term basis, get another epilator that is good in areas that your main 3370 isn't so great in. Like a haircutter has different clippers to interchange depending on the area. Get an Emjoi Gently Gold Caress as an accessory epilator. Emjois work better on the more private areas due to the fact that they use a different technology, they don't pinch like that, but will still pinch in their own way if they encounter skin that's too loose and not being pulled tight, the rotating disk technology is more *forgiving*, but I think less *accurate*. The Braun 3370 is going to work better (*IMHO*) on the other 95% of your body, and the 2170 is somewhere in between those two. The 2170 doesn't have the little "pin nubbies" that do offer more thorough plucking, but slow down the motor and can induce pinches on loose or sweaty skin. I did this:

Braun 3370: almost everything, legs, chest, bikini.
Braun 2170: back, high chest, low neck, armpits, upper inside of thigh.
Emjoi Gently Gold Caress: as much of the private areas as possible, which is most.
Shaved with razor: any remaining.

Hope this helped.

Mantaray
~Don't pick at ingrowns~

Edited by Mantaray (03/05/05 09:56 PM)

Sponsored Links
#18097 - 06/23/05 02:23 PM Re: Which to buy
Veinlover Offline

Loc: Chicago
First, I'm a guy, so my hair is a bit thicker and quicker growing than many women, but of course not all. I used a braun epilator for a while, and then pitched it in the trash. I found it painful, and painfully slow. However, I later decided to try again, as shaving never gets my armpits to look hairless, as the hairs are dark, and grow at a slant, so you can see them through the skin, making the area look like a 5:00 pit shadow. After a bit of research, I purchased the Emjoi Opti Max, and it is a WONDERFUL device. It has two opposing rollers with tweezers, and I find that they pull the skin taut between them, making the process work better, and more quickly, and with less pain. My armpits were a breeze, whereas with the Braun I thought I was going to give myself a heart attack from the pain. My pits are beautiful now, smooth and clean looking. I also tried my legs, and couldn't believe how easy it was to do the lower legs, it barely hurt at all, seriously. They are wonderfully smooth to touch, and it lasts a good week, until more hairs start to grow. I'm sure over time this will get better. The upper legs, especially the outer quads, were a bit more painful, and the top of the quads did hurt a good bit, but the hams went amazingly well, and the results are terrific. I had the problem other women have posted, of little bumps on the top of my hams, and I could never get the area smooth with a razor. Women who have minimal hair there should consider themselves very lucky. I actually have more hair on my upper legs than the lower ones. Anyhow, my hams are now very smooth, with no more bumps, I couldn't be more pleased. I tried my chest, and that was simply too painful, I don't know why, the hairs are too thick to epilate maybe, though not as thick as pit hairs, which came right out. I will need to continue shaving there, and laser when I have the money.

The Emjoi Opti Max runs on battery or mains, and has a nice feel to it. The heads are big enough to cover territory, but not overly clumsey. You can tilt it on one side for curved areas, like parts of your under arms, and it will work like a single rotor device. I have gotten it jammed in my skin a few times, and nothing at all happens, it just stops. Perhaps it has a mechanism, perhaps not too much power, but in either case, no harm done. The braun had some sort of a guide to prevent that, but it got in the way, and was of no value at all. The Emjoi does not have the best battery life, if you do your whole body (though on a woman that may be just legs and pits), it may or may not make it, you may have to run it plugged in part of the time, but that works fine, the cord is rather long, and very fine, as there is a transformer at the plug end, so the wire is only carrying a low voltage, and can be very thin, compared with a normal 120 volt wire.

I've only had this unit a few weeks, and am certain it will get even better over time, so I endorse it fully.

#18098 - 06/26/05 07:41 PM Re: Which to buy
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

As much as I used to love epilators, I would never recommend one. Now I have some perspective and experience to pass on. I look at hair removal two ways: If you want hair removed, do it permanently, don't mess around. Get laser or electrolysis even if it comes out of your food budget. Or, if you're not going to permanently remove the hair, take good care of your follicals, because mistreatment of your follicals and skin will lead to your skin looking like hell.

Epilators offer a quick fix that at first is impressive, but as someone once posted here, they pretty much just become expensive razors as the hair cycles start kicking in. Epilators are way too hard on the follicals, they rip and tear the hair out and disfigure the follical and bulge over time. And, if the bulge gets really disrupted in it's angle and constituency, then that hair root will always be a problem, and will always be ingrowing. Ingrowns are minimal at first, then they increase over time as the epilator is used longer. Pretty soon the skin looks like a battlefield, not good. Also, and what bothers me most, if you enjoy the sun, then look out; a plucked hair leads to hyperpigmentation spots, and if you do it over and over, that is, mix plucking with sun exposer, the spots get more pronounced, and look like freckles. I still have these spots and it takes awhile for them to fade. They are most pronounced where my skin was exposed to the sun, on my lower outer calf areas. My skin used to be a rich, smooth, and even color in this area, now I'm waiting for these freckle-like things to hurry up and disappear, and they are, slowly.

Then as you continue to epilate, after ripping at the follical for months, the action starts to physically disrupt the follicals. Follicals that only sprouted one hair will sprout two hairs, maybe three. I know this because this happened to me. This is hard learned experience that taught me this. Today, I use a sensible plan; I shave and combine that with periodic laser treatments. The bumps go away, the ingrowns go away, it takes less time, the skin is exfoliated in the process, I'm making actual reduction gains. And really shaving in the shower is very convenient compared to epilating, a lot cleaner and quieter.

These people that come here telling of their bad epilating experiences, they shouldn't be put off. What they are going through is very real. If epilating works well for one person, then great. But for others, it's not a good option. To those that stopped epilating early on, good for you. Your skin will be better for it.

Mantaray

#18099 - 08/13/05 02:56 AM Re: Which to buy
Dukestermut Offline

I now have both the Braun 3370 and an Emjoi Optima. I caught my old Optima in my clothes and sort of broke it so I bought the Braun because it cost less and I wanted to see the difference. They are both good. The Braun is nicer to hold and quieter, and although I thought it didn't work as well as first.....It really does just a well as long as you don't put the attachment to make epying less painful on it. That is fine for sensitive areas, but no good for legs. I guess if I had to choose, I would pick the Braun, but I don't know if it will last a long as the Optima. My Optima is still running strong after many hours of use.
I love them both!!!
Jen

#18100 - 11/19/05 10:56 PM Re: Which to buy
caramel Offline
Contributor

Loc: NC, USA
hmmm has anyone tried the philips ice cold satin one? (i think that's very close to it's name lol, i can't remember) ... it's getting much higher ratings on other websites than all of those u guys r talking about... any opinions/trials/ideas?

#18101 - 01/16/06 06:16 AM Re: Which to buy
EstrogenSmooth Offline

DO NOT get an Epilady. I bought one, and it tore up my skin. I think it's because the tweezer heads weren't softly rounded into the rotating head. Thank goodness for 30-day refunds. I've had very good luck with Braun models, although an Emjoi looks tempting. I only use epilators on my arms, legs, butt, chest, and mons area because the skin is easily pulled taut.

I don't use epilators to have smooth skin, because due to very short and broken hairs, your legs will not be as smooth as shaving. My arms and legs are only smooth if I epilate after letting it grow out. Mosty, I'll epilate a as to reduce the hairs before I shave so there's less incoming stubble.

#18102 - 05/08/06 03:16 AM Re: Which to buy
abbey Offline

I bought a Braun Silk Epil. I am using on my arms. I don't know about these people who claim they can go two weeks without epilating. I see new hairs in a day or two, and my arms feel stubbly all the time. I am going slow and trying different directions. Any ideas?

#18103 - 05/20/06 07:27 AM Re: Which to buy
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

That's going to happen. Your staggered hair cycles are kicking in. If you really want to use an epilator, and you don't want to use it every three days, you can always try shaving a few times between epilations. But of course, then you're playing the stubble game as well.

The thing about using an epilator, is that, like most stop-gap solutions for hair removal, you now have to keep up on it to keep that appearance. I know you may have never considered it, or maybe it's not an option just yet, but consider solutions to your long term goals.

Do you really want to shave or epilate your arms for the rest of your life? Because this is what you are essentially doing now. -Arms aren't a tremendously huge task to perform electrolyis on, really consider getting it done slowly over the course of a few months. None of the temporary solutions give you near the relief of sold, permanent removal. And, even though the progress isn't made overnight, it's made in solid steps surely. Good luck!

Mantaray

Electrolysis, since 1875

#18104 - 09/22/06 08:07 PM Re: Which to buy
Lani Offline
Contributor

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Perhaps this should be unstickied or deleted and a new one started? Most of the posts are 2 years old and the models recommended are no longer in production.

#18105 - 11/05/06 03:59 AM Re: Which to buy
mustang_lex Offline

I bought the Body Bare and have been very pleased!

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Electrolysis London?
by Lily-May
Today at 06:37 AM
electrolysis on penis
by Greek
Today at 12:12 AM
A lack of planning on your part...
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 08:57 PM
In need of some feedback
by beate_r
05/24/17 06:09 AM
sore fingers
by beate_r
05/23/17 08:06 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9482
James W. Walker VII 8027
Andrea 4146
Michael Bono 3082
Who's Online
1 registered (London Male), 119 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod