Subscribe & Support This Site!
consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#18086 - 08/18/04 10:30 AM Which to buy *****
idris Offline

I'm considering an epilator for "delicate areas".
Does anyone have any specific "do buy" or "don't buy" recommendations?
I'm considering the Oris Bikini Epilator (available form argos.co.uk)

Sponsored Links
#18087 - 08/23/04 02:20 AM Re: Which to buy
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: San Diego, California
Hi, I would recommend a Braun 3370 (or 2170), or an Emjoi Optima. Those are the two top of the line choices. Also, I would familiarize myself with all that's to be expected when you go the epilating route. The pain, the bumps, the way bumps will soon go away, the way the pain diminishes after you use it a few times, the intervals, the time it takes. To me, considering the money I was spending on waxing, the nubs on the back of my upper thighs that were driving me batty everyday from regular shaving, the horrid smell of Nair, the cost and time of laser or electrolysis, and the convenience of being able to do it whenever you want in your own home, rotory epilators are very much the sensible way to go. I can't imagine not using one. Consider this:

The Braun 3370, which I have, can get very, very fine hairs out, is more precise in directing, and has a smaller (single) head for curves and corners, but has no safety mechanism and can cause some serious pain if it gets caught up on skin. It's a noisier unit because it works on the basis of little individual tweezer units opening and closing rapidly. It is a great unit, as Braun is a quality company, but will cover large expanses like the thighs a lot less quickly than the Optima. Also you'll have to go over the areas more times to pick up all the hairs, as it doesn't have that bi-directional ability the Optima has. But the hairs it'll pick up will be a lot smaller and finer. The Braun 3370 comes with a bunch of extras of which I use none, except the cleaning brush and case.

The Optima has a bulkier head that'll require more gymnastics, but has a more powerful motor with a safety mechanism. The Optima is quiter and faster, which is why I'm looking into getting one, and uses a rotating disc technology which I think kind of "herds in" the hairs upon the first sweep, so repeated sweeps aren't as necessary. Plus you have the trailing rotor that's going to pick up some too. I'm currently taking anywhere from 1.5 to 2.0 hours to do most of the body and want to cut that time way down by purchasing an Optima, but know that I'll have to tolerate the fine hairs the Optima will leave behind as opposed to the Braun that gets everything.

Whichever one you chose, don't expect to conquer Rome in a day. Take your time and be really careful.

#18088 - 08/24/04 01:58 AM Re: Which to buy
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Since this thread already has some odd 73 views, I guess I should also add more details if some visiting are interested.

Using the Braun will take longer, but then again some women or men may not want to do as much as I am. Some women may only want to do legs once a week or every two weeks, so getting a closer level tweeze at the expense of taking a bit longer may be worth it. Also, as hair patterns and techique are learned and improved, and the number of hairs popping up greatly gets reduced after a month or two, the process will speed up anyway.

For the $70 bucks I paid, I think the Braun is a unit I'll always keep handy even if the Emjoi Optima does prove to be quicker. What I think is the Braun weakness is that it uses lots of little quarter inch tweezing mechanisms mounted on the rotating barrel. This allows for finer hair extracting, but you have to move the unit slower over the skin to take advantage of the setup. It relies on the hair and tweezer to be in the right place at the right time while it's closing to grasp. If you move it too quick past the hair, it skips over the hair all together. But, if down the road, after you get past the dreaded first month, you want more of a shaved smooth feel, then the Braun will give you that with enough learned technique.

Right now, two months into using the Braun, by once a week epilating, my legs are very close to a shaved feel. Tweezing bumps go away overnight, a cool shower helps, there's absolutely no pain, incoming hairs are very fine and are plucked with ease, ingrowns are minimized, and the funny/weird feeling you get when you get goosebumps is now greatly reduced and can hardly be noticed.

No matter which epilator you choose, the main hurdle is getting past the first month or so. That's when you're getting past all the hair cycles, the next day "new hairs" that unexpectantly pop up that make you think the machine's not working right, the coarse hairs that broke the first few times and became ingrown, the old, long time follicals giving you the weird feeling when goosebumps happen, and you yourself learning you to optimize the situation. I used to have a couple glasses of wine prior to ease the sensation, but now I know that increases your skins circulation and causes sweating, preventing the unit from gliding across the skin. Now, I'll do it first thing in the morning with a fan pointed at me to cool off, I've found that works best. Usually, I'll have a primary epilating day, like Thursday, then a clean-up missed hairs day on the following Saturday, then I'm good for awhile.

I hope all this helped to those thinking of going this route. I think once you do, you'll see that these companies only supply the machines, whichever you choose, but there's still a bit of knowledge that should be learned to get past the difficult stages which this website is a goldmine for.

Mantaray

#18089 - 09/16/04 06:08 AM Re: Which to buy
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

...Currently, I'm still using the Braun 3370, and was just a day away from getting online and ordering an Emjoi Optima. But today fro some reason saw an Emjoi Gently Gold Caress at the store and bought it (it has one rotor w/36 gold tweezers, can be used as rechargeable or with the AC adapter, with the vibrating heads). This was my second choice to the Optima but now it has me thinking about what's better one rotor with 36 tweezers, or two rotors with 18 each. I've used it only once for 10 or so minutes, but being able to compare it directly to the Braun has changed my thinking somewhat. It's a really great unit. In a few days I'm going to post what I think of the two epilators. It definitely has its pros, but also has it's cons, of which some would also apply to the Optima series as well.

Mantaray

#18090 - 09/18/04 05:09 AM Re: Which to buy
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Okay... I've used the Emjoi Gently Gold Caress, which I felt was a solid, no frills epilator from Emjoi, and have compared it to my Braun 3370, which I felt was the most solid, current design epilator that Braun offered. And this is just my two penny opinion, which is just mine, not solicited from any third party, and may respectfully differ from others as others may use these devices in a different manner than I do. I'm a guy who's pretty much normal in terms of body hair amount. Have it on my chest, back, arms legs, have to shave once a day, and I want to keep most everything smooth from the neck down, except for underarms and arms. For thorough, reliable, *easy* epilation the Braun 3370 is the hands down winner. In terms of noise, they are about the same. And in terms of speed, for anything other than lower legs and arms (the emjoi's stronghold), the Braun requires much less fuss to get all the body parts to the point where you're saving about an extra 45 minutes. In terms of comfort, the Emjoi is better. The Braun is just plainly more an "aggressive epilator" and would probably hurt more to the first time epilating person. In terms of motor strength, I don't know everyone was talking about, the Braun motor is more powerful 12volt versus 3.7volt, and it shows.

In comparing these two, the biggest factor is the shape of the head that makes contact with the skin. The Braun is flat, straight edge, and the Emjoi is curved, with the vibrating pads on each end projecting even further than the rotor. The straight edge just plain out allows less effort to epilate all areas, it's just more familiar and easy to get over lumps, corners, and small flat surfaces. The Emjoi's curved contact surface works great on arms and lower legs, is much more work to use on the other, bigger, less curved areas. In fact, they say not to press it hard agianst the skin, but keeping the unit verticle, with the end pads to deal with, you have to press it down hard to get the needed contact with skin on flat parts, or even upper thigh areas. I found myself just completely unable to epilate these areas without working hard to find ways to get the rotor to make good flush contact. These is something that is no problem at all with the Braun. After I was all done using the Emjoi, I switched back to the Braun for some touch ups and found myself happily revelling in it's excellent design! The phrase that came to me was one I had read here "I love my Braun!"

This competition wasn't even real close for me to decide. And as for the heads on either to rapidly epilate, The Emjoi 36 tweezer setup may be slightly faster, but all that design is wasted in all the time it takes to use it's curved head on things like the back of calves, knee sides, side of thigh, etc. The Emjoi failed especially in the bikini area where the body meets the thighs. It really took time to epiliate in the simplest manner in this "concave" area.

The Emjoi would definitely be quiter if it weren't for the two little vibrating heads that rattle when you use it. Why they put these on the unit is beyond me. Most people that use a Braun 3370 or 2170 know the little roller "pain dampener" four way thing is a complete waste of plastic after the third use of the machine. Why Emjoi woukld want to have these two little vibrating pads installed permanantly is beyond me. They should make them switchable or removeable. On the plus side though, the vibrating pads do help the unit glide across the skin better, that I liked.

As for using this to determine how the Emjoi Optima would work, I can only say the Optima has two curved heads just as the Gently Gold Caress has a curved head so some of these problems will repeat.

Final advice: If you're going to do just legs and arms, and your upper thighs are small framed, or petite, then the Emjoi Gently God Caress is a viable option.

If you want a more versatile epilator with a stronger motor, but has a more aggressive feel to it. Get the Braun 3370. The Braun just has a more "pro" machine feel to it. It's not rechargeable, but the Emjoi did start to lose RPM's and torque into the third timeframe of it's charge cycle. I didn't like this, epilating is hard enough as it is without having to worry about dying charges and loss of performance.

If you want yet another epilator that will probably work as good as these two without spending as much, get a Braun 2170. It would be well worth it, and I plan on getting one asa backup as well.

I hoped this helped. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I know what it's like to work hard on an R and D team just to have some neophyte poop on your new product. It's just my opinion.

Mantaray

#18091 - 09/21/04 10:11 AM Re: Which to buy
Vandrew Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Wow...thanks for all the advice Mantaray! Awesome!

#18092 - 11/10/04 01:06 AM Re: Which to buy
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

...After taking a real close look at these two units, getting a good idea of the results they produce, and the re-growth rates after using each, I have just a little extra something to add here. I feel now the Braun is a far superior unit, and would never buy this Emjoi unit again if it were to break. The Braun, on slow barrel speed, plucks hairs a lot more effectively and breaks fewer in the process. The more plucking and less breaking, the longer you can go without having to touch up or re-do. This Emjoi feels less painful when used, but that i think is because it's breaking all the difficult hairs instead of plucking them like it should.

A big difference between the Braun and the Emjoi is that the Emjoi's barrel spins way faster than the Braun. And this helps it clear areas much faster, but the hair follicals I don't think have time to react so the hair snaps before it can be cleanly plucked. I looked at all the removed hairs that I caught on a clean paper mat after removal and by far the Emjoi had more rootless shorter hairs. The Braun had much more rooted, longer hairs removed as by-product. And that's why I think I get less ingrowns and longer periods of smoothness with the Braun. In Areas cleared by the Emjoi Gently Gold Caress on high barrel speed, I got way more ingrowns. And at one point in this comparison, I was in full damage control mode trying to work out a whole huge mess of ingrowns two to five days after using the Emjoi and had lumps galore. It was very close to a shaving regrowth; thick, dark, and grain directioned.

It's probably better just to shave instead of using this Emjoi on high speed, at least it's going to give you smoother results, if just for twenty four hours. The Braun I found, works way more effectively on the slower barrel speed as well, getting far less broken hairs. I've found that epilating is no race. Even if it takes an extra half hour or forty five minutes, spend the extra time to go slow and break fewer hairs, for guys it could add an extra day or two between sessions, and make up for the extra time several fold. I've asked my girlfriend to start using the slower speed as well to see what happens. ...Like I say though, these are just my results, your hair may be less breakable, and you may or may not get better results.

Summary:
Braun 3370 Slow speed: Best results, few/no ingrowns, still dicey (risky) in 'private areas', slowest regrowth

Braun high speed: More brokens, less painful, less bumps, much more risky in 'private areas'

Emjoi Gently Gold Caress slow speed: Less brokens than high speed, less painful, best and safest in 'private areas' but very ineffective and difficult to get all hair areas around knees.

Emjoi on high speed: A veritable juggernaut for hair clearing, clears rounded parts of legs fastest by far, as fast as a shaver, but way too many broken hairs, way too many induced ingowns, way too sloppy, even breaks off hairs above skin surface as well as below, not really a realistic alternative to shaving. Lumpy skin, needed re-epilation within one or two days, ingrowns still came out after five days. Emjoi needs to perfect their barrel speeds on these units.

Mantaray

Electrolysis, since 1875

#18093 - 01/03/05 11:40 PM Re: Which to buy
Loony Offline

I've bought one in my local Boots store. There were 3 types the first one was BrAun Soft Perfection Easy Start 3270 which is the cheapest, i think it was £39.99 and then the second one was £44.99 i can't remember what was so different about the second one apart from it was pink. the last one was BrAun Perfection Easy Start Body System £54.99 and this was for bikini and anderarm also. I was gonna buy the starter pack but since i had a £10 voucher i bought the £54.99 one. It also has the starter pack included in it.

I've just tried this product today. To be honest i was abit dissapointed at the results. But i also blame myself coz i have such fair skin its easy to snap and break so i end up hardly getting half of the hair pulled out. first try not bad. i will use my epilator in the future though...get my moneys worth! I have a high tolerant so i take pain less seriouly but it still made me nevous thinking about doing it for the first time but i got used to it. just like being pinched loads of times! =p

#18094 - 01/06/05 09:54 AM Re: Which to buy
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

If your hair snaps easy, then you have to keep in mind a few things: 1) take a hot shower beforehand to open pores, and allow your skin to dry. This lets the hair to be pulled out easier. 2) move the epilator slower and use the slower speed. 3) The first time with an epilator is never easy, that's the worst part of it all, getting out the first and second generation hairs. That includes hairs that snapped and take two and three times to get out. And 4) the next generation hairs come out a lot easier because they're not so "settled in" and rooted less.

#18095 - 03/05/05 04:41 AM Re: Which to buy
Bob 385 Offline

Loc: Greenville, SC
Mantaray, could you please elaborate on this for me. What kind of effect are you talking about here? Pinch feeling, small skin break, or trip to the doctor for stitches?

"has no safety mechanism and can cause some serious pain if it gets caught up on skin."

I am thinking about trying one, but not if it can seriously damage you.

Thanks

#18096 - 03/05/05 09:50 PM Re: Which to buy
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

See, the Brauns function with little tweezer units (about 36) mounted on a rotating barrel. The tweezers stay open until their part of the barrel rotates toward the skin. If the skin is loose, *ahhem*, if you're a guy you know where this is (keep this post clean so it doesn't get moved into "Mature Topics"), then the tweezers will grab available loose skin instead of just hair. This results in a small "pinch" from the little tweezer. It's not really as bad as you may think, but it does leave sometimes raw redness to the point of sometimes letting of a drop or two of blood. I know what you're thinking, "how grim!" But it's really not like that. You learn what you can and can't do very quickly. If you really want to go the epilating route on a long term basis, get another epilator that is good in areas that your main 3370 isn't so great in. Like a haircutter has different clippers to interchange depending on the area. Get an Emjoi Gently Gold Caress as an accessory epilator. Emjois work better on the more private areas due to the fact that they use a different technology, they don't pinch like that, but will still pinch in their own way if they encounter skin that's too loose and not being pulled tight, the rotating disk technology is more *forgiving*, but I think less *accurate*. The Braun 3370 is going to work better (*IMHO*) on the other 95% of your body, and the 2170 is somewhere in between those two. The 2170 doesn't have the little "pin nubbies" that do offer more thorough plucking, but slow down the motor and can induce pinches on loose or sweaty skin. I did this:

Braun 3370: almost everything, legs, chest, bikini.
Braun 2170: back, high chest, low neck, armpits, upper inside of thigh.
Emjoi Gently Gold Caress: as much of the private areas as possible, which is most.
Shaved with razor: any remaining.

Hope this helped.

Mantaray
~Don't pick at ingrowns~

Edited by Mantaray (03/05/05 09:56 PM)

#18097 - 06/23/05 02:23 PM Re: Which to buy
Veinlover Offline

Loc: Chicago
First, I'm a guy, so my hair is a bit thicker and quicker growing than many women, but of course not all. I used a braun epilator for a while, and then pitched it in the trash. I found it painful, and painfully slow. However, I later decided to try again, as shaving never gets my armpits to look hairless, as the hairs are dark, and grow at a slant, so you can see them through the skin, making the area look like a 5:00 pit shadow. After a bit of research, I purchased the Emjoi Opti Max, and it is a WONDERFUL device. It has two opposing rollers with tweezers, and I find that they pull the skin taut between them, making the process work better, and more quickly, and with less pain. My armpits were a breeze, whereas with the Braun I thought I was going to give myself a heart attack from the pain. My pits are beautiful now, smooth and clean looking. I also tried my legs, and couldn't believe how easy it was to do the lower legs, it barely hurt at all, seriously. They are wonderfully smooth to touch, and it lasts a good week, until more hairs start to grow. I'm sure over time this will get better. The upper legs, especially the outer quads, were a bit more painful, and the top of the quads did hurt a good bit, but the hams went amazingly well, and the results are terrific. I had the problem other women have posted, of little bumps on the top of my hams, and I could never get the area smooth with a razor. Women who have minimal hair there should consider themselves very lucky. I actually have more hair on my upper legs than the lower ones. Anyhow, my hams are now very smooth, with no more bumps, I couldn't be more pleased. I tried my chest, and that was simply too painful, I don't know why, the hairs are too thick to epilate maybe, though not as thick as pit hairs, which came right out. I will need to continue shaving there, and laser when I have the money.

The Emjoi Opti Max runs on battery or mains, and has a nice feel to it. The heads are big enough to cover territory, but not overly clumsey. You can tilt it on one side for curved areas, like parts of your under arms, and it will work like a single rotor device. I have gotten it jammed in my skin a few times, and nothing at all happens, it just stops. Perhaps it has a mechanism, perhaps not too much power, but in either case, no harm done. The braun had some sort of a guide to prevent that, but it got in the way, and was of no value at all. The Emjoi does not have the best battery life, if you do your whole body (though on a woman that may be just legs and pits), it may or may not make it, you may have to run it plugged in part of the time, but that works fine, the cord is rather long, and very fine, as there is a transformer at the plug end, so the wire is only carrying a low voltage, and can be very thin, compared with a normal 120 volt wire.

I've only had this unit a few weeks, and am certain it will get even better over time, so I endorse it fully.

#18098 - 06/26/05 07:41 PM Re: Which to buy
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

As much as I used to love epilators, I would never recommend one. Now I have some perspective and experience to pass on. I look at hair removal two ways: If you want hair removed, do it permanently, don't mess around. Get laser or electrolysis even if it comes out of your food budget. Or, if you're not going to permanently remove the hair, take good care of your follicals, because mistreatment of your follicals and skin will lead to your skin looking like hell.

Epilators offer a quick fix that at first is impressive, but as someone once posted here, they pretty much just become expensive razors as the hair cycles start kicking in. Epilators are way too hard on the follicals, they rip and tear the hair out and disfigure the follical and bulge over time. And, if the bulge gets really disrupted in it's angle and constituency, then that hair root will always be a problem, and will always be ingrowing. Ingrowns are minimal at first, then they increase over time as the epilator is used longer. Pretty soon the skin looks like a battlefield, not good. Also, and what bothers me most, if you enjoy the sun, then look out; a plucked hair leads to hyperpigmentation spots, and if you do it over and over, that is, mix plucking with sun exposer, the spots get more pronounced, and look like freckles. I still have these spots and it takes awhile for them to fade. They are most pronounced where my skin was exposed to the sun, on my lower outer calf areas. My skin used to be a rich, smooth, and even color in this area, now I'm waiting for these freckle-like things to hurry up and disappear, and they are, slowly.

Then as you continue to epilate, after ripping at the follical for months, the action starts to physically disrupt the follicals. Follicals that only sprouted one hair will sprout two hairs, maybe three. I know this because this happened to me. This is hard learned experience that taught me this. Today, I use a sensible plan; I shave and combine that with periodic laser treatments. The bumps go away, the ingrowns go away, it takes less time, the skin is exfoliated in the process, I'm making actual reduction gains. And really shaving in the shower is very convenient compared to epilating, a lot cleaner and quieter.

These people that come here telling of their bad epilating experiences, they shouldn't be put off. What they are going through is very real. If epilating works well for one person, then great. But for others, it's not a good option. To those that stopped epilating early on, good for you. Your skin will be better for it.

Mantaray

#18099 - 08/13/05 02:56 AM Re: Which to buy
Dukestermut Offline

I now have both the Braun 3370 and an Emjoi Optima. I caught my old Optima in my clothes and sort of broke it so I bought the Braun because it cost less and I wanted to see the difference. They are both good. The Braun is nicer to hold and quieter, and although I thought it didn't work as well as first.....It really does just a well as long as you don't put the attachment to make epying less painful on it. That is fine for sensitive areas, but no good for legs. I guess if I had to choose, I would pick the Braun, but I don't know if it will last a long as the Optima. My Optima is still running strong after many hours of use.
I love them both!!!
Jen

#18100 - 11/19/05 10:56 PM Re: Which to buy
caramel Offline
Contributor

Loc: NC, USA
hmmm has anyone tried the philips ice cold satin one? (i think that's very close to it's name lol, i can't remember) ... it's getting much higher ratings on other websites than all of those u guys r talking about... any opinions/trials/ideas?

#18101 - 01/16/06 06:16 AM Re: Which to buy
EstrogenSmooth Offline

DO NOT get an Epilady. I bought one, and it tore up my skin. I think it's because the tweezer heads weren't softly rounded into the rotating head. Thank goodness for 30-day refunds. I've had very good luck with Braun models, although an Emjoi looks tempting. I only use epilators on my arms, legs, butt, chest, and mons area because the skin is easily pulled taut.

I don't use epilators to have smooth skin, because due to very short and broken hairs, your legs will not be as smooth as shaving. My arms and legs are only smooth if I epilate after letting it grow out. Mosty, I'll epilate a as to reduce the hairs before I shave so there's less incoming stubble.

#18102 - 05/08/06 03:16 AM Re: Which to buy
abbey Offline

I bought a Braun Silk Epil. I am using on my arms. I don't know about these people who claim they can go two weeks without epilating. I see new hairs in a day or two, and my arms feel stubbly all the time. I am going slow and trying different directions. Any ideas?

#18103 - 05/20/06 07:27 AM Re: Which to buy
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

That's going to happen. Your staggered hair cycles are kicking in. If you really want to use an epilator, and you don't want to use it every three days, you can always try shaving a few times between epilations. But of course, then you're playing the stubble game as well.

The thing about using an epilator, is that, like most stop-gap solutions for hair removal, you now have to keep up on it to keep that appearance. I know you may have never considered it, or maybe it's not an option just yet, but consider solutions to your long term goals.

Do you really want to shave or epilate your arms for the rest of your life? Because this is what you are essentially doing now. -Arms aren't a tremendously huge task to perform electrolyis on, really consider getting it done slowly over the course of a few months. None of the temporary solutions give you near the relief of sold, permanent removal. And, even though the progress isn't made overnight, it's made in solid steps surely. Good luck!

Mantaray

Electrolysis, since 1875

#18104 - 09/22/06 08:07 PM Re: Which to buy
Lani Offline
Contributor

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Perhaps this should be unstickied or deleted and a new one started? Most of the posts are 2 years old and the models recommended are no longer in production.

#18105 - 11/05/06 03:59 AM Re: Which to buy
mustang_lex Offline

I bought the Body Bare and have been very pleased!

#18106 - 12/02/06 04:38 PM Re: Which to buy
Lincoln6Echo Offline
Major Contributor

I bought a Braun Silk Epil 5270 back in early November. It comes with one of those new little spot lights which is a really neat addition to epilators as it lets you see hairs that normal indoor light won't.

BTW, I'm a guy and remove my body hair mainly to help keep control of achne that I get on my legs, arms and chest. Removing the hair helps with keeping the scabs from prematurely coming off. I also love the smooth skin. I'm also practicing up for my debut in soft-core porn...no just kidding...

Anyway, the 5270 has 40 tweezers in its rotating barrel. Apparently 20 more than an earlier model.

When I first started epilating (from shaving), it took me about a week to get totally clear/smooth, as each day I was finding new hair growth cycles. Since then, I have just done daily or so touch ups as regrowth appears from weeks prior. In any case, it's way better than shaving which would be an total body everyday experience. I couldn't keep my skin smooth for more than 24 hours. With epilating I can keep the majority of my skin smooth for weeks with just the occassional touch-ups as hairs grow back.

#38765 - 01/28/07 02:57 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: Bob 385]
nikkigirl Offline

I bought the Body Bare personal shave and I been more then happy with it. Plus the website gives great tips how to use it to get the best results. I would never try another product.

#38781 - 01/29/07 03:19 AM Re: Which to buy [Re: nikkigirl]
NickB Offline
Contributor

I just bought the Braun silk-epil exelle. I think it's model 5000 or 5500 or something.

It's my first epilator, so i can't really compare it to any other brands. But i can tell you right now that it fucking hurts. It didn't feel like it was pulling hair out, it felt worse, like it was disecting my arm and slowly ripping my skin or something haha. But the smoothness is worth it.

I also have red dots on my upper arms/shoulers because of it even after 4 days of waiting for them to dissapear. I don't know if that is the product or if i'm just inexperienced and using it wrong or if it's my own skin. But those were my results.

I do however like it, because the hair on my upper arms was really bothering me. (Though now i have dots to worry about). I'll give more thoughts about my product in a few months after using it regularly. Red dots and pain factors might be a different story.

#38790 - 01/29/07 03:12 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: NickB]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
You may get better at using the product over time. I will call these devices "Tweezing Type Epilators" to distinguish them from the fact that Electrolysis Manufacturers call their products "Epilators" when they are actually treatment devices for making follicles stop growing hair. I hope this term will avoid confusion.

Tweezing Type Epilators are either rotating springs that trap hairs in the coil and rip the hairs out as the spring rotates, or they are some sort of spinning disks that trap the hairs and pull them out as they spin. In either case, it is easy for skin to be trapped in the pinching device and cause irritation, pinching, and even breaking of the skin.

As your technique using the product is refined, and your skin toughens up from repeated use, you may have less skin trauma. Of course, Electrolysis would end that hair in that area for good if you can find a good practitioner in your area.

#38813 - 01/30/07 04:46 AM Re: Which to buy [Re: James W. Walker VII]
NickB Offline
Contributor

Electrolysis is out of the question for me personally because of budget restrictions.

When i epilated i think i may have pushed too hard, plus i think i had goosebumps while doing it, so maybe i cut the top of the bumps? Probably why it hurt so damned much. hahaha.

Edited by NickB (01/30/07 04:48 AM)

#38828 - 01/30/07 03:54 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: James W. Walker VII]
Baron Offline
Contributor

Originally Posted By: James W. Walker VII, CPE
Manufacturers call their products "Epilators" when they are actually treatment devices for making follicles stop growing hair.

Waht kind of devices would that be, James? As far as I know, there are no devices for making follicles stop growing hair.

#38835 - 01/30/07 07:50 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: Baron]

Top 10 Contributor

Most of us refer to them as Professional Electrolysis Machines, but for reasons that are not clear, the people who manufacter them list them as "Epilator Machines" or "Depilation Machines", anything but the simple and easy to understand Electrolysis Machines"

#46726 - 10/24/07 08:34 AM Re: Which to buy [Re: Bob 385]
abdeen Offline

I am considering to buy a Braun 5270 epilator and would like some feedback. I am skeptical on if it really works and I have heard it is a painful.
Thanks.

#46740 - 10/24/07 06:16 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: abdeen]
jes Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Montana
Wow, you really did your research! I just went for cost and my Emjoi Optimini has been wonderful.

Hmmm, pain. Well of course you are going to feel the hair being ripped out by the root, but you kinda get used to it. I take a otc pain pill 45-60 minutes before I start, but I don't really need it.

#57391 - 11/06/08 09:16 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: jes]
ald0311 Offline

Have you tried Epilady? They are the ones who invented the first epilator in the late 1980's.... their original model was the coil that pulled hair out, but they have updated their models to the more recent design with the rotating head. If you're going to try Emjoi and Braun, you MUST try Epilady!

#57397 - 11/07/08 12:23 AM Re: Which to buy [Re: ald0311]

Top 10 Contributor

Epilady, The First Epilator? Talk about revisionist history!

When you ad department types come here to hawk your products, would you please try to stick to the facts, and maybe attempt to give some GOOD INFORMATION instead of just screaming BUY OUR PRODUCT(S)!

Why don't I do the customers a service and remind them that the original Epilady was a $70 rotating coil that was purposely designed so that one could NOT remove the coil for cleaning, so that it would also be regulated as a "Personal Care Item" that could not legally be returned to a store once it was opened. By not having a way to clean or replace the coil, it became like buying underwear. Once you open the package, only the manufacturer can give you a refund, the store can not.

This increased their sales, as everyone who bought one, used it for 30 seconds, and stormed back to the store was informed that there was nothing the store could do, as they could not take it back if they wanted to. Strangely, the Isreali makers of the product wanted nothing to do with the angry customers, and many people were hopping made, but $70.00 poorer for the experience.

#66727 - 10/17/09 05:17 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: idris]
Momus Offline

I bought a Philips Satinelle HP6400 yesterday with the intention of eventually using it all over my body. I'm a guy with kind of a hairy chest and belly, which is where I've been using it since last night. Still not done. Jesus, this is painful.

However, looking over the damage, I find my skin looks as it did when I used to use those Nair wax strips. I'm feeling optimistic.

Anyway, back to it. I need to finish this sometime today.

#68455 - 12/27/09 11:58 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: Momus]
randomdude87 Offline

Has anyone tried this model out?

http://www.amazon.com/Revlon-RV565-Gentl...241&sr=1-72

Thinking of giving it a go because the sale is so good...

#68457 - 12/28/09 12:31 AM Re: Which to buy [Re: randomdude87]
randomdude87 Offline

Just caved and bought it...I'll let you guys know how it is heh..wish me luck.

EDIT: BTW, the total with shipping came out to under $30 for a product being sold in the $40-$70 range..you guys might want to jump on this deal, but it might be more prudent to wait for my review. Up to you!

Edited by randomdude87 (12/28/09 12:32 AM)

#70027 - 02/16/10 12:26 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: randomdude87]
woshiren Offline

get Braun 7781 Epilator Wet & Dry laugh I have been using braun for 2 years and love it. saves me the time of plucking the unsightly armpit hairs manually

#81805 - 01/12/11 08:53 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: randomdude87]
yashrg Offline

Originally Posted By: randomdude87
Just caved and bought it...I'll let you guys know how it is heh..wish me luck.

EDIT: BTW, the total with shipping came out to under $30 for a product being sold in the $40-$70 range..you guys might want to jump on this deal, but it might be more prudent to wait for my review. Up to you!

I was also looking at that model. Could you tell me what you think of it?

#87934 - 05/29/11 04:17 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: yashrg]
sha3ry Offline

I was looking into buying the Braun 5270 X'elle Body System Epilator for the longest time, and I was waiting for it to go down in prize on Amazon.
Stupidly, I waited so long it got discontinued or something. Hahah!
Does anyone here have good recommendations for another epilator?

#87936 - 05/29/11 04:24 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: sha3ry]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: London, UK
I would not epilate. I read your other post. Epilators cause the hair follicles to become distorted and also break a lot of hairs instead of pulling them out.

What do you do with your legs at the moment?
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to date, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

#87938 - 05/29/11 04:35 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
sha3ry Offline

Originally Posted By: stoppit&tidyup
I would not epilate. I read your other post. Epilators cause the hair follicles to become distorted and also break a lot of hairs instead of pulling them out.

What do you do with your legs at the moment?

I shave them. The hair is pretty dark and thick in most spots there, and it grows pretty unevenly.
What would you recommend?

#87939 - 05/29/11 04:42 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: sha3ry]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

I would wax. With the help of some youtube video's and practice, you can learn how to wax yourself.

You can buy professional student starter kits that come with a small wax heater, some different kinds of waxes to start you off with, spatula's and cloth strips etc. There are some brands of wax that can remove short hairs of a few mm in length.

Whatever you do, you need to exfoliate regularly, say 2-3 times a week on dry skin using a mitt like this:
http://www.adorebeauty.com.au/adorebeauty/product/5465/Riffi+Original+Exfoliating+Mitt/

And moisturise daily after showing. With a body moisturiser or even better, something like Rosehip oil which will help fade the discolouration and improve the tone of your skin.

Also, are you sure you cannot save up for some Laser? If done right, I think even two treatments on the legs can get you a decent reduction. Enough to make shaving or waxing more bearable. My lower legs were done in three. You can read the thread linked in my signature.
[27hrs of Blend, April 2008-Dec 2010 in UK, for coarse hair on lower sideburns, coarse chin hair, completed upper lip, shaped eyebrows]
[Sept 2011 to date, once yearly sessions with Josefa. Completed reduction of facial/neck fuzz in approx 27 hrs TTT]

#87943 - 05/29/11 05:02 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
sha3ry Offline

Rosehip oil sounds amazing, I'll definitely look into that.

The main reason I've shyed away from waxing so far is the mess. I'll take a look at the waxing threads here and see.

#87944 - 05/29/11 05:16 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: sha3ry]
stoppit&tidyup Offline
Top 10 Contributor

It is! I have given it to my sister to fade her acne scars. Used it myself for a surgery scar and some hyperpigmentation on my chest from an electrolysis test patch.

Once you get the hang of it, it's not messy at all. The only thing that gets messy is the spatula and strips. You shouldn't be dropping any here and there if you are careful and should not get much residue on your skin.

I switched from epilating to professional standard home waxing. Then to Laser when I had the money. When I had the time, I waxed my sister's legs once and she said I was better than what she has done at the salon!

I would start with a water dispersible warm wax then. It's not so effective on shorter hairs but if you make a mess, water and baby oil will easily clean it up.

You just need to get the heater to heat it to the right consistency and away you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=styfWM1pIzc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUnJ3wRK40o

I guess some words of warning though. Don't burn yourself with wax that's too hot. Don't do anything unhygienic. Don't try to keep doing the same area again and again if you don't get it right first time - try another day.

#88521 - 06/11/11 01:05 AM Re: Which to buy [Re: stoppit&tidyup]
Crossfire Offline

Personally, I started shaving my pubic area and legs about 2 years ago becuase I just disliked hair. I was doing some outside landscaping, it was hot and dirty and in the shower off it came on the legs. In the other area I just like skin on skin. I use the Braun Epil 7 everywhere, and to be honest it's not painful and it gives a great shave

#95872 - 02/14/12 03:54 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: Crossfire]
M.D Offline

Hi.
it was my first experence in using epilator,it hurts a lot.
Thanks for good information,i learned lots of things here.
Im from Iran and here gov blocks many web sites ,i could not even find a web for unwanted hair in my language,all was blocked!!
Im a male but just want to say that in Iran people (especially women)pay alot on Laser and ....even more than Europe and USA but im so broke now and cant do it right now.
Want to buy a new epilator,the brands which are available here are Philips and Braun but i wish i could find one which works better than this old one(4years old Braun).

Edited by M.D (02/14/12 03:59 PM)

#95883 - 02/14/12 07:40 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: M.D]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
So the Iranian governement doesn't block HairTell. How magnanimous of them.

How are the other epilators different than your four year old epilator? Do you get ingrowns? What is the condition of your skin after four years of epilating?
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#95905 - 02/15/12 03:22 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: dfahey]
M.D Offline

Hi.Yes thats very nice of them to let me visit this web site!!lol.
I did it on a small part of my body,the red dots are always show up and that is common but the pain will be get better as you continue doing it.ingrowns most appear on body especially legs and stomatch but in area like neck it appers less.
I decide to epilate more parts as i heard about new epilators.
Could you please help me to find a good one?
The brands which are available here are Philips and Braun.
Thanks.

Edited by M.D (02/15/12 03:28 PM)

#95907 - 02/15/12 05:09 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: M.D]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Well, before I buy something I start with consumer-based reviews like this one.

http://www.epilator-review.com/

I check out other sites and see if I can detect patterns where several sources seem to like one or two particular brands.

Good luck with yours search!
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#95921 - 02/16/12 11:24 AM Re: Which to buy [Re: dfahey]
M.D Offline

Thanks alot for helping.
The link was very useful!

#100845 - 08/25/12 09:25 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: M.D]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

Loc: UK
I have to add my tuppence worth, the new Braun epilator (2012 model) with face and "other bits" hair removal screens, it is great on my MALE legs with just the standard head that comes with it, anyone saying it is painful is a wuss, works great for me and my legs are smooth for 2 weeks. Used to shave them for the last 15 years, wanted a change and the latest Braun 2*** series works for me, dunno the model number but it is about £90 in Argos and works a treat with no pain at all. Tried an old model from about 10 years ago and it was a Dinosaur, chomping bits out of my legs all the time, new one, nothing, just hair removal at the root, quickly and pain free, sure there is a pinch but nothing in comparison to the old epilator, going to move onto chest hair soon......

#100847 - 08/25/12 09:33 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

forgot to mention, I have had zero ingrown hairs since I bought and used this particular epilator, I joined the forum at the beginning of August but waited to check my results after reading other members posts.

Regards to all,

Just a guy that hates body hair,

JoHose.

#101270 - 09/19/12 11:31 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Maybe I should keep quiet in that I don't use rotary epilators anymore, but I feel i have a duty to say something.

I used rotary epilators for about, what, a year? Year and a half? I have three still, in a box somewhere. Braun and Emjoi.

The ingrowns don't appear immediately, they get worse over months. You'll also notice regrowth looks more disarray. The more you use rotary epilators, the more the hair grows out without it's natural 'grain' direction. So, you're basically stuck with hair that won't be too aesthetic if you ever decide to let it grow out for whatever reason. I think i used to call it 'Sasquatch Hair'.

I don't know why. And, I've given it alot of thought, but waxing is just way better on your follicles. I asked the pro waxer that used to wax my back, she didn't know either, but agreed. I think it has to do with the angle of pull. Epilators essentially pull at sharp right angles at fast speeds.

Anyway, for everybody here, take it from me, a person that messed with those for awhile, learn to wax. Try not to use rotary epilators. Read my old threads on them. I really did a lot to make them work out, but they never did.

To this day I can spot a woman that rotary epilates her legs. I recognize the skin appearance right off the bat.

Edited by Mantaray (09/19/12 11:34 PM)

Electrolysis, since 1875

#101597 - 10/07/12 06:42 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: Mantaray]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

Well it is well into October now and the Braun Silk-épile 7 still has not produced any in-grown hairs on my legs, chest, butt-crack, etc, I love it! Maybe my hair growth is different from some... but the results I am having are simply fantastic, only have to use it once a week now and I am silky smooth for the next week! Also the few hairs that do decide to re-grow ARE smoother and finer than the tree trunks I used to shave off my legs, so much better than shaving every morning! This new 47 tweezer epilator is the best I have EVER found! It may cost £90 to £120 but it is going to make Gillette quake in it's boots! One one off payment for a product that really does what it says (inc 0.5mm hairs!) is worth every penny in my humble opinion, I always hated the high price of premium razors and waxing products, Braun have invented a true winner in my experience of hair removal. Been doing it for 30 years and for me, this is the best ever! (never had the money for electrolysis and if I did I WOULD use it, but I can't afford it) This new Braun Silk-épil 7 is the best next alternative in my personal opinion! Love it!

#101598 - 10/07/12 06:46 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

Forgot to mention. Mantaray, can you tell a guy that has rotary epilated? <big grin>

#101608 - 10/08/12 01:00 AM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
Dolphinz Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: JoHose
Forgot to mention. Mantaray, can you tell a guy that has rotary epilated? <big grin>

probably given time!
I encountered same problems after using for quite a few months massive ingrown problem i could understand this happening if the hair was curly but it was straight also the hair texture changed and became more coarse when left to grow out naturally hair stands out at 90 degree angles from the skin think cactus ! instead of lying flat against it

I used a BRAUN glad you seem to be getting good results

Edited by Dolphinz (10/08/12 01:04 AM)

35+ hours Pro Electrolysis ongoing

Probably 700 hours or more over 18 months DIY electrolysis
Read nearly every post on the DIY section before begining
3/4 arms backs of arms shoulders chest neck some people watch TV I ZAP hairs nearly finished

#101615 - 10/08/12 06:50 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: Dolphinz]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

do not follow the link to the old epilator site from a few posts ago! It is over 2 years old and the new technology, now, is like 10 years improved on those old skin munching machines! I know! I used them in the past, but the new ones are SO MUCH BETTER!!!!! Maybe there should be a new Thread for 2012 devices....... I love mine, now it really works!

#102365 - 11/07/12 08:25 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

Well it is well into November and my Silk Épile from braun with it's 47 tweezers (or so) are still giving me a sterling on my legs, not one in grown so far, and no indications that I may get one, This bit of kit is truly working for me! I only need to use it now once a week! Brilliant!
I so love new tech, especially when it really works! My legs are truly smooth and I have now ventured onto chest and pubis regions. I must point out I am not a hairy bear to start with but the Braun has removed so many irritant hairs that I used to shave daily, that I feel I have to say it is the greatest invention this side of 2011!!! A week of not needing to shave, and then only a few recurring hair tips that are quickly plucked and I am smooth again! Love the feeling!! Don't knock it till you have tried it, good luck to all you friends!!!!

Edited by JoHose (11/07/12 08:26 PM)

#102413 - 11/09/12 03:00 AM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JoHose

Okay, if you want me back in this discussion, I have no problem with that.

You state not to look at old posts because the technology is so advanced now. That's incorrect. It's the same exact technology: A spinning barrel that opens and closes little mechanical tweezers. What's so different about the Braun Silk Epil 7 that you seem to push it on others here? Nothing. Same technology, so maybe the head pivots and it's wet/dry, big deal, -oh they put a flashlight on it, doesn't matter. You're still ripping out hairs, breaking shafts, and damaging follicles. It's all the same.

Okay, you have been questioned as advertising before, and yes, I do think there's winds of that. And with that, you responded to a very respected member in a vulgar manner who pointed that out. But, no matter how you respond, I, too, call your bluff. No, none, hair removal method is completely devoid of ingrowns. None. Period. So, with you making all these claims repeatedly, pretty much going against all science, you come off as detached from reality and unrealistic.

See that little banner under my name on the left that says "Hair Facts"? That means I appreciate facts, because there are enough people on the net spreading lies and trying to push off little $75 dollar devices as the "Great New Thing". Doesn't work. People on this forum are too smart for that. I'm gonna stand up for the truth: Rotary epilators have not greatly changed, people who use them will get ingrowns and damaged follicles, and the time one spends in their bathroom going over areas repeatedly to yank out little broken shafts would be better spent just shaving and keeping their skin healthy.

Now, you claim to have such "sterling" legs after using this. Well, there's about 4 Billion women on earth, most shaving their legs about twice a week, so why isn't Braun swimming in money? Why is this such a secret that's only revealed to us? Seems maybe Braun just doesn't want to be bothered with selling 4 Billion units? Maybe it's because people try this little Braun device, and see it really just doesn't work well, that they really just lead to ingrowns and funny looking hair and skin after a few months.

Maybe every single last person that has thrown these things in the trash over the years was totally incorrect.

Hardly likely.

The summary is that the Braun Silk Epil 7 is no different than the Braun Silk Epil, which is no different than the Braun Satin Touch, which was hardly better than the Lady Remington, that was just another version of the Mepro Epilady.

It's a variation on a theme. Repackaged, with new gullible consumers buying it. They get thrown in the garage box that also has their "Set It, And Forget It!" Ronco Showtime chicken cooker.

Now, can I recognize a guy that has rotary epilated? No. They all wear pants to hide the damage.

Electrolysis, since 1875

#102516 - 11/14/12 09:52 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: Mantaray]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

OK Manta,

Mid November, still using "the product of my choice", re-growth is thinner, and way less irritating the more I use "the product of my choice" My other half uses it too and she loves it as much as I do, I have several friends now using it, all condoning same said product, so before you try to flame me, try using it, it works for me, my girlfriend and others I personally know.

It has been months since I got it and the results are getting better and better, sorry if my personal experience of using this "product" burst your bubble and you have to have a rant, I would rather leave this forum forever than make you upset, but I want to just tell others of my personal experience of using "my product", in all, for ME, (and others I know) IT JUST WORKS!!!!!!!

NUFF SAID................OK?

#102517 - 11/14/12 09:56 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

and not one ingrown hair on either of my legs!!!!!

Maybe my legs were never meant to be hairy??????

#102518 - 11/14/12 10:10 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

Or maybe a 486 processor is still better than an Ivybridge processor???????????

Technology moves on mate! at an alarming speed! Keep up with it or lose out!!!!!

#102614 - 11/20/12 05:43 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

You're unclear on the concept. You might not want to attempt to lecture me on technology. I simply don't believe your statement:
Quote:
My other half uses it too and she loves it as much as I do, I have several friends now using it

It simply isn't true. I seriously doubt you have several friends that use it. It sounds like a bandstanding populist statement. Even the new epilators people dump on Craigslist for cheap just to get rid of them:

Braun new epilator for cheap $15 or less, just anyone take from me.

There is a tidal wave of people that hate those things. They produce nothing but ingrowns and horrible skin.

You are parading your device. A good solution sells itself, it doesn't need to be forced on people with glittering generalities and false populist statements, "Everybody's using it! Jump on the bandwagon!" please... "Nuff said"? I guess not.

My "bubble" isn't burst. I live in reality, I see people come here year after year complaining about rotary epilators.

And no, the technology hasn't changed. You say that over and over, but wouldn't it be easier just to explain how the technology has changed? Would it be that difficult -if it were true?

See, it's a barrel, it spins, it has little tweezing snappers on it that open and close with the spinning of the barrel, they rip the air out, they damage the follicle. So what's changed? Nothing.

Speaking of technology moving on, why don't you get with the times? Why don't you go with high frequency computer pulsed electrolysis or laser LHR? See, that's the newer technology. See, I've embraced that and "moved on."

Electrolysis, since 1875

#103328 - 12/14/12 09:16 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: Mantaray]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

December the 14th, still using my Braun, not going to mention the model number for fear of "ADVERTISING" but it is still doing a great job! It was over 4 weeks ago I epilated and only needed to glide it over a few areas of my legs to clear the whispy hairs that have regrown in the last 3 weeks, remember that this is a PERSONAL ACCOUNT of what this product does for MY MALE legs, which I prefer to be hair free. This is my own choice and I seem to have found a cheap product that does the job for me. I would love to see others finding they get the same results that I have gained on leg hair removal. I truly accept that electrolysis is the true permanent method of hair removal, but until I find the money for that, this method has been truly spectacular in its results, finer hair regrowth, and fewer needs to epilate what was daily then weekly then every 2 weeks, and now every 3 weeks. I do use a hair retardant moisturiser daily on my legs so maybe it is a combination of all factors that works for my legs keeping them hair free.
And Mantaray, move on yourself, I hate you self puffed up pushiness trying to promote newer products that we all know work better BUT cost a fortune!!!!!!

I have my solution that cost me £80 and for months and months has worked for ME, I am just passing on my personal experiences.

OK???

JoHose.

#103329 - 12/14/12 09:24 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

Happy Xmas To All!!!

When the time comes, I will update in the new year, good or bad, I promise to tell all with my "rotary epilator" so far it is all good, but if it goes bad, you will know. First here!

Have a great new year!

JoHose.

#103824 - 01/04/13 08:50 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

Well, it is the 4th of this new year, my purchase has only needed 10 minutes to clear the few sprouting hairs on my now very smooth legs and the hair minimising moisturiser (nair) seems to do what it says on the tube, it retards hair growth. Sure it does pong of Veet hair dissolver but I only use it after epilating and do not seem to need it for two weeks until a few new hairs get to 1mm and then I use my product of choice all over my legs, I have to say that it is STILL doing a great job and my legs are silky smooth. I have moved onto my chest area using the same hair retardant cream and the results there are looking good too, except around my nipples, there seem to be a few hardy tree stumps to deal with atm. I am more than delighted with the results on my legs over the last few months and will keep updating the good or bad that I experience.
Hands up! I accept that electrolysis is the one true permanent hair removal method,,,,but I cannot afford it, and this epilator method is working for ME, if others find it does or does not, please share your findings here.....

Kind regards to all, and Happy New Year!!!

JoHose.

Edited by JoHose (01/04/13 08:53 PM)
Edit Reason: underscore "ME"

#103827 - 01/04/13 10:25 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
Danika Offline
Top 10 Contributor

That stuff is TOXIC . When you put it on your body you are literally drinking it and when you shower you are spreading that toxic crap into our water supply. Do yourself ( and us) a favor and do not buy/use the chemical hair inhibitor crap. Our egos are ruining the watershed and in 2013 its time we start taking personal responsibility for our choices.
ELECTROLYSIS- Scammed by the one in my town. Whenever possible, while traveling out of town,I try to get electrolysis on face. Very Challenging overall due to lack of professionals available .Many treatments done on only a tiny area of my face yet there still seems to be alot of hair growing there. Seems an impossible dream at this point frown

#103835 - 01/05/13 02:28 AM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

JoHose,

Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like you have a good system going for you..

Happy New Year to you and keep this thread updated.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#104089 - 01/15/13 08:52 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: dfahey]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

Hi all!!!
Moved onto Jergens hair minimising moisturiser as the Nair version WAS a little too strong and after months of epilating and using the Nair product I was getting a few red spots that lasted a day after epilating. Now using the Jergens product (still niffs (smells) a bit) BUT! The results are more than satisfactory, it really takes 2 weeks for there to be enough growth for me to use the epilator of MY CHOICE (I am NOT PROMOTING ANY DEVICE FOR REWARD!) And the smooth results are fantastic. I personally have not had one ingrown or problem hair on my legs, I still accept that electrolysis it the true method of permanent hair removal but I simply love my semi "permanent" method, it lasts way longer than shaving and when I do have to "wand over" my legs the sensation is one of tickling my legs, rather than the initial (Many months ago) plucking. The smoothness seems to be getting even better over the months. And regrowth is getting finer as I use the hair minimising moisturiser, and to Danika, I DO NOT SHOWER MY PRODUCT INTO YOUR WATER SUPPLY! I use a product that states that it is not tested on animals nor humans and that all the ingredients are totally natural to the environment!

Wait for my next post, good or bad, I will tell you the truth about MY PERSONAL use of my epilator on my MALE legs....

Till next time......

JoHose xxx

Forgot to mention, chest hair is a no-no for me with the epilator, tried for many weeks and the results are back to the razor (sob) Also PLEASE for your own health, leave the pubic region an area for Mr Gillette only!!!!! (and or a professional electrologist!!!)

Edited by JoHose (01/15/13 09:04 PM)

#104096 - 01/16/13 05:33 AM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
iLikeDIY Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I was going to say that after you get off the retardant cream and stop using the rotary epilator, which by the way I'm sure is EXTREMELY painful on the male body.. What next? But the question is answered it's a semi-permanent method.

I always thought those things were dangerous, you can have hairs that can grow full length underneath your skin. Not to mention the scar tissue that forms from the hair being ripped out of the follicle.

Glad you found something that fits your lifestyle!

Danika the water that goes into the drain goes through a filtration process that removes everything and then is dumped back into the water supply. No traces of anything toxic are left in the water after its treated.

As a response to the part where our skin drinks it, the FDA was established for a reason. Those people who allow products that go onto the market are smart than me or even you smile

Edited by iLikeDIY (01/16/13 05:43 AM)

#104138 - 01/18/13 07:50 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: iLikeDIY]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

Eeeek! only three days and I have experienced a sudden hair growth cycle on my legs, lots of wispy hairs have sprouted on my lower legs, well when I say lots, it is about 6 per square cm, but as I have never been really hairy it seems a lot to me, washed my legs and got out the device of my choosing, they all whisked away, with virtually no sensation at all and I am all smooth again. :-) I also got out my magnifying glass and inspected the results once shaken/brushed of my personal electronic product for hair removal of choice, and found most if not all had the roots at the base of the hairs removed, so my personal conclusion is that these new finer hairs that grew are truly easier to "pluck" after months of hair retardant creams once their growth cycle kicks in. (I still wish I had the money to do this job permanently!) but till then I will epilate and moisturise.... Till next time..........

JoHose. (trying to stay hair free 24/7)

#104241 - 01/22/13 08:28 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

Another 4 days and some, 7 or 8 hairs that were broken the last time have sprouted again, these ARE much thicker or "original" hairs and when I used my weapon of choice, nothing removed, this got me thinking, the last time I had thick 1.2 to 2mm hairs, I had just bought my new toy, it was new and clean.
Isopropile alcohol and a toothbrush cleans the rotary head and tweezers, soap and water used on my slightly hairy legs = no skin wax/grease to prevent grip between epilator and sprouting hairs! WOO HOO!!!! It works!!! Smooth legs again and no 2mm sprouters on my legs that refuse to budge! Legs are still getting smoother, with no sign of any ingrowns, and if I do get any I will tell you!!! Just going off now to Jergens moisturise the results.

Stay hair free, with whatever method you prefer.

Hugzzz

JoHose

#104351 - 01/30/13 04:19 AM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
prettysure Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: nyc
re:
Quote:
"Eeeek! only three days and I have experienced a sudden hair growth cycle on my legs, lots of wispy hairs have sprouted on my lower legs, well when I say lots, it is about 6 per square cm, but as I have never been really hairy it seems a lot to me, washed my legs and got out the device of my choosing, they all whisked away, with virtually no sensation at all and I am all smooth again. :-) I also got out my magnifying glass and inspected the results once shaken/brushed of my personal electronic product for hair removal of choice, and found most if not all had the roots at the base of the hairs removed, so my personal conclusion is that these new finer hairs that grew are truly easier to "pluck" after months of hair retardant creams once their growth cycle kicks in. (I still wish I had the money to do this job permanently!) but till then I will epilate and moisturise.... Till next time.........."

JoHose, Have you ever considered a home IPL machine, like Silk'n Sensepil, for flash/pulse light epilating? (or removal, not sure what desciption of what this thing would be, lol) If you're the right skin tone and your hair is dark, it's pretty awesome for hair management.

Edited by prettysure (01/30/13 04:42 AM)

95%+ hair reduction on legs from nd:Yag laser done years ago
75%+ hair reduction on axilla with nd:Yag laser done years ago (the rest being finished with flash electrolysis)
100% permanent hair removal on bikini line with electrolysis over 15 years ago
100% removal of hair on chin with flash electrolysis (well, almost done, maybe 2 fifteen minute sessions left for the small amount of dormant hairs.
0% permanent removal on brazilian after 5 sessions of Yag (and 3 IPL). no idea why. Will try again in 2013.

#104353 - 01/30/13 10:07 AM Re: Which to buy [Re: prettysure]
iLikeDIY Offline
Top 20 Contributor

Loc: St. Louis, MO
JoHose seems to be aiming for a permanent reduction. Those IPL machines only offer temporary results, contrary to what they claim.

#104359 - 01/30/13 05:04 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: iLikeDIY]
prettysure Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: nyc
Originally Posted By: iLikeDIY
JoHose seems to be aiming for a permanent reduction. Those IPL machines only offer temporary results, contrary to what they claim.

I mean in the interim, in lieu of or in addition to the rotary epilator. He's not getting perm just yet if i understand correctly.

edited to say: although, i guess if someone's saving up for electrolysis, it makes no sense to buy an expensive temporary machine. Esp. b/c the machine does take about 12+ months for the results to be best, aka, getting to the point where you only use the machine once every 3 months. so, nix the question! laugh

Edited by prettysure (01/30/13 07:04 PM)

95%+ hair reduction on legs from nd:Yag laser done years ago
75%+ hair reduction on axilla with nd:Yag laser done years ago (the rest being finished with flash electrolysis)
100% permanent hair removal on bikini line with electrolysis over 15 years ago
100% removal of hair on chin with flash electrolysis (well, almost done, maybe 2 fifteen minute sessions left for the small amount of dormant hairs.
0% permanent removal on brazilian after 5 sessions of Yag (and 3 IPL). no idea why. Will try again in 2013.

#104728 - 02/22/13 08:17 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: prettysure]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

Hi all,
Well it is almost March of this wonderfull 2013 year!

Latest update for a tranny keeping his legs hair free.

I keep finding new hairs I had never noticed sprouting here and there, but I am sure I got them many months ago (at some time)with the rotary device of my choice.

Honestly the hair regrowth is constant if sparce between treatments, I never expected total hair loss as I know I will never kill the hair follicles just by plucking using my epilator of choice.
So far I have not had any ingrown hairs, I now need to only use it every 3 weeks, and for a man I am personaly amazed! Maybe the hair retardant moisturiser is helping more than I expected, but my legs are so much smoother for so much longer! I am now thinking that for the few persistent tree roots that pop out every three weeks, only to be plucked when they do, I should save to get them properly electicuted, the total count of persistent hairs is about 300 over both legs, the rest of what used to grow is either so thin I do not see them or they realy have stopped growing, maybe another 6 months of rotary epilation together with hair retardent moisturiser will give me the answer, but so far I LOVE the results of my method.
It works for me and this is just a journal covering my personal journey of hair removal, NOT an endorsment of any device available for removal of hair.

I will update my results, good or bad, as they happen.

Stay hair free by what ever method works for YOU!

This is just my personal journal of hair removal.
(groin chest and armpits are still "Mr" Gillett's domain)

Regards to all!

JoHose.

Edited by JoHose (02/22/13 08:20 PM)

#106114 - 04/14/13 07:58 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

Quick update,

Still using the electrical weapon of choice, Still no ingrowns for the moment and it has been over 8 months when I started using this device, VERY hair free on my legs, still loveing my device of choice, seriously, IT WORKS!

For me anyway!

So that is over 8 months and my device of choice is still keeping my legs smoother than a razor. One day electrolisis.... till then 8+ months of smooth legs with my choice of device, roll on the options available, I love mine!!!!!!!!

Stay hair free and hugzzz to all!!!!!!!

#107555 - 06/16/13 07:09 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

Last update was over two months ago

Still using the rotary epilator ov choice.

Need to wash the head tweesers more often now (but just run the rotating heads over a bar of soap for a few seconds, then rinse under running water) Legs are as smooth as I could ever wish, with less regrowth than ever before, hair minimizing cream seems to be working!

Hugzzz,

JoHose xxxx

#109043 - 09/13/13 10:11 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

Well it is almost a year now, still using my device of choice, legs almost completely hair free, and still loving the results of my epilator of choice..... !!!!!!!!!!!

Still zero in grown hairs and any that pluck up above 0.5mm get whisked away on the first swipe.

Still say it takes dedication to use my method of choice .... BUT it WORKS for me <big smiley>

Edited by JoHose (09/13/13 10:27 PM)

#109320 - 09/23/13 09:24 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
More Cowbell Offline

I'm using the Philip's Satin Perfect for chest and everywhere below waist. It seems to work well but I've never tried any of the other ones that have been posted. See a lot about the Men's Braun and then Emoji... Has anyone ever used the Philip's that I'm using that make a comparison post?

It is rechargeable and works with cord. Has a nice light on it and does not really beat up my skin. Seems to grab really small hairs but if there's something better I'd be intrigued.

#111615 - 01/07/14 10:46 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: More Cowbell]
JoHose Offline
Contributor

Still love my rotary epilator!!!

It has been ages since my last post, all I can say is that my legs are still smooth and I only have to use "my machine" of choice every 4 weeks,

Hugzzz

To all..

JoHose xxx

#111802 - 01/16/14 03:14 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: JoHose]
epilatorgirl Offline
Contributor

JoHose nice to see a man who loves his epilator, keep it up! take care smile

#117260 - 02/12/15 02:33 AM Re: Which to buy [Re: epilatorgirl]
smootha Offline

Has anyone here tried the Braun Face 810?

How do you guys feel it holds up?

#118051 - 05/01/15 08:17 PM Re: Which to buy [Re: smootha]
MariaP Offline
Contributor

I think the Braun epilators work pretty well to temporarily and inexpensively remove hair. I find that they grab the shortest hairs. It is not comparable to laser or electrolysis because you are tied to routine tweezing, which can distort the hair follicles and make it difficult if you decide to go for a more permanent form of hair removal. The newer ones can be used under water. If you decide to get a wet one, it can't be used while charging it.

Regarding the Braun Face, I've heard that you shouldn't use epilators on the sides of your face and chin because it will cause problems later if you decide to go for electrolysis. I have tried it on the upper lip and it works pretty well.

Sometimes epilators may encourage hair growth since they stimulate blood flow but sometimes the hair growth may get lighter. It is dependent on different factors like hormones etc. If you are looking for something permanent, epilators are probably not the best way to go. I think they work pretty well for removing the peach fuzz that laser can't remove. Whenever you decide on a hair removal method, you have to weigh the pros and cons and decide what is best for you.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Electrolysis London?
by Lily-May
Today at 06:37 AM
electrolysis on penis
by Greek
Today at 12:12 AM
A lack of planning on your part...
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 08:57 PM
In need of some feedback
by beate_r
05/24/17 06:09 AM
sore fingers
by beate_r
05/23/17 08:06 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9482
James W. Walker VII 8027
Andrea 4146
Michael Bono 3082
Who's Online
1 registered (London Male), 119 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod