Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#61435 - 04/14/09 02:44 PM Re: Pumice Stone Use [Re: dfahey]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
Dee makes a good point.

I have had more than one mother come in to have me do microscopic hair removal on an upper lip that did not need it, just to qualify for working on their daughters.

(the funny thing is having that as a test gave me an unfair advantage, as I would be doing that work with an stereo microscope and an assortment of gold probe/needles, while my competition would have been working with a 3 diopter circle lamp and a size 3 stainless steel needle/probe. Add the Apilus Platinum and I win on comfort and accuracy every time in that game.)

Sponsored Links
#61444 - 04/14/09 08:56 PM Re: Pumice Stone Use [Re: James W. Walker VII]
ded10
Unregistered

In addition to those mentioned here, there are other secondary effects of friction systems. For example, tightening of skin that undergoes friction (callus), due to the defense mechanism that holds our skin.

Other side effects, is the ability to stimulate follicles in the area which receive repeated friction (feeding the hair). This is due to the bioestimulador effect that has the blood when is stimulated repeatedly.

There is a phrase in Spanish that defines this situation: "Anything that does not kill, fattening".

And friction methods .... DOES NOT KILL.

Edited by ded10 (04/14/09 08:58 PM)

#61620 - 04/19/09 06:44 PM Re: Pumice Stone Use [Re: dfahey]
Furrlife Offline
Contributor

i will do this next step. I need to find someone good in Maryland. My coworker who barely has any hair won a free treatment from a mom at our school who does electrolysis. The hair she wanted to rid was like a few strands by her eyebrows and 1-2 out of a small mole on her cheek. My co worker went a few times and she paid for the visits other then her first free one. After 5 months she says she is still experiencing hair growth and wished she hadn't spent the money. She also said it was very painful. I realize my daughter is younger and has age on her side.
How bad is the pain?

#61627 - 04/19/09 07:22 PM Re: Pumice Stone Use [Re: Furrlife]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
How bad is the pain? Pain is subjective. Some hairs sting a little ans some don't. Some areas are more sensitive than others. Some electrologists are more skilled than others. Some electrologists use older epilators and reading glasses. Some use the newer computerized technologies and wear surgical magnification. Seeing better makes it so one can go faster to insert the probe into the follicle with accuracy. They can see the slighest changes in the skin so adjustments can be made. All these things contribute to pain or better said when it comes to the art and skill of electrolysis, sensation factors. THis should feel tolerable at the most to a very mild warmth at the least. One does not have to feel PAIN.

Pain is not an accurate word to use here when you seek a PROFESSIONAL, MODERNLY equipped electrolgist to do the work. Pain is accurate for laser hair reduction. If it isn't painful, it is probably not going to be effective. Pain is an accurate term to describe slamming your fingers in the car door or giving birth. Modern electrolysis is not painful if one is using one of the better epilators available today for professional use only.

I would base my decision on sample consultations. You will probably find that everyone is different, but you just need to see and feel for yourself. Everyone thinks they have the best and greatest epilator on the market and will tell you that they have been doing this for 300 years with good results. Get those face to face consults and use your instincts. Do keep in the back of your mind that the better computerized epilators of today along with surgical magnification should probaly weigh very heavy in your decision making process.

Is Frederick, Maryland too far away? (Did I ask that before???)

Dee
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#61628 - 04/19/09 07:23 PM Re: Pumice Stone Use [Re: Furrlife]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
Electrolysis or any other permanent removal method takes 9-12 months. This is due to hair cycles, i.e. it's not the same hair that gets treated over this period. It's because every area has more hair that you can see at any one point. Hair cycles.

There are various types of electrolysis and skill really matters as well as machine used and settings. It doesn't have to be very painful. It can be very very tolerable. But it needs to be a good electrologist with a good machine, using the right method.

That little hair is easy to treat, but treatments are still needed over the course of 9-12 months as explained above.

#61633 - 04/19/09 09:06 PM Re: Pumice Stone Use [Re: LAgirl]
Furrlife Offline
Contributor

Thanks. Frederick, MD is a bit far. I should be able to find someone decent in Montgomery County.

Is blend the best type? Is that the newest method?
I am sure I can find everyone's opinions if I read enough threads on this site.

Her hair is still fine, but dark hair growing over light skin seems to be more exaggerated then blond hair or if her skin was darker in color.

#61635 - 04/19/09 09:19 PM Re: Pumice Stone Use [Re: dfahey]
Furrlife Offline
Contributor

Thanks. Can electrolysis be done if she is taking an antibiotic pill for acne and a presciption cream? She has mild to moderate acne, but my husband had it bad, so I took her to a dermatologist early to head off any problems that could have gotten worse.

We live in Maryland, the funny thing is she wasn't using any acne medication in Maine for 6 weeks last summer and her skin was beautiful. I am convinced the chemicals and stuff in our water must have an effect on our skin and other body parts.

I guess that is why they are finding male fish with eggs in them!!!

Well thanks for any additional advice on starting electrolysis on someone young and with fine hairs, not coarse yet. I almost made the mistake of waxing and plucking!!! Thanks to the web site I avoided the very mistake I thought I was preventing by using those methods!

#61636 - 04/19/09 09:39 PM Re: Pumice Stone Use [Re: Furrlife]
ded10
Unregistered

The youngest of our clients has been a girl of 6 years. His mother was very uneasy because the other kids used to laugh at her. the hairs of the upper lip were very visible. Today that girl is 8 years. Attend every 3 months to treat only the hairs that have been developed by age. That girl and her mother are happy.
Was applied an hour before, EMLA.
I will leave a scanned photo of the drawing that she (Cristina) dedicated to her friend electrologyst.

http://picasaweb.google.es/jm0158969/DedicatedToHisElectrologystByCristina#5326514199271294370

Edited by ded10 (04/19/09 09:43 PM)

#61925 - 04/26/09 11:35 PM Re: Pumice Stone Use [Re: ]
Furrlife Offline
Contributor

Cute picture.
I will report back after I take her to her first appointment. It will be awhile, as I have something every night this week and she is going away part of the next week. Thanks for all the info!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
KREE imperial ? Galvanic epilator help
by Tommy750e
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
dearly departed zapper's family needs donations
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 10:47 PM
Local anaesthetic
by Pained
Yesterday at 02:43 PM
Selling My Silhouet-Tone St250
by templje
Yesterday at 08:24 AM
Tweezers
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 12:15 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9556
James W. Walker VII 8039
Andrea 4148
Michael Bono 3110
Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod