Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#22696 - 04/20/05 11:14 AM Pumice Stone Use
electrobaby Offline
Major Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this experience.

When I was a teenager I used a pumice stone on a very small part of my lower leg whilst in the bath. Hair was removed and has never grown back (why didn't I pumice more!).

Anyway, I recently tried it again and I now have patches of no hair at all (it has just never grown back). It's not always successful in that not all areas I've pumiced have remained hair free, but my beautician recently commented that I have very "patchy" growth.

Has anyone else had this experience?

It only seems to work on my lower legs. Thighs do not work.

Sponsored Links
#22697 - 04/20/05 09:04 PM Re: Pumice Stone Use
hkmirza Offline

Actually, my grandmother had always advised me to use a pumice stone. She grew up with VERY few modern "conveniences," INCLUDING razors or wax, and always told me about how, in the "Old Country," she and her sisters would use the pumice stone daily to keep away hair from their arms and legs...and now, she is virtually hairless!

Anyway, I suppose you might get "patchy" growth in some areas. I'm not sure, from your post, if this is something concerning you in some way, or...?

#22698 - 04/21/05 01:43 PM Re: Pumice Stone Use
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
Leg hair thins and just goes away with age due to poor circulation. The only places where light scar tissue developed from friction or tweezing could lead to permanent hair removal are eyebrows and legs. For everything else, electrolysis is the only sure fire way to destroy unwanted hair. The bigger concern with friction methods is the invitation to infection.

#22699 - 07/20/05 08:17 PM Re: Pumice Stone Use
westbury18 Offline

Loc: London, United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm a man in his mid-30s living in London, UK. I'm happy with my hairy chest, legs and forearms, but my hairy shoulders and upper arms have always bothered me - I've got quite pale skin but darkish brown hair. I tried waxing but it always caused terrible spots - particularly at the top of my chest, around the collar bone region. Creams worked for a while, but they too have recently caused spots when the hair began to grow back. I've not tried them, but laser and IPL treatments seem too expensive and unreliable. I stumbled across this excellent site and read about the friction method of hair removal for the first time.
I experimented with a pumice stone. Well, it looks like a pumice stone, but I think it's an man-made imitation of pumice and think it's meant for removing hard skin from your feet! Anyway, the first time I tried, I rubbed away a bit too vigorously, and although it removed the hair from my shoulders, my skin was far too red and irritated afterwards - it felt like bad sunburn. Not good!

I tried again a week or so later (when my skin had returned to normal!). I did it in the bath, and this time I made sure to use some moisturizer. Here in the UK, Johnson & Johnson produce a Baby Oil Gel, which was just perfect. I guess regular baby oil would also be good. I applied the gel to my shoulders and then very carefully rubbed with the pumice in circular motions. Do not rub too hard, and if it hurts at all, or your skin gets too hot (or if you can smell burning hair), slow down or stop! Just gently rub for a minute or so - prolonged, gentle pressure seems much more effective than hard scrubbing. I was very pleasantly surprised by the results. Nicely smooth shoulders without the hassle of creams or waxing. The hair grows back quite quick, but the hair-growth did seem a little lighter.

I'm now just trying to use the pumice method for a couple of minutes most mornings when I have my bath/shower - I alternate from one shoulder to the next as I figure it's probably not good to rub away every day. It's not permanent and it's not perfect, but it's relatively hassle-free and I just wore a sleeveless top this summer for the first time and didn't feel self-conscious about my shoulders. Maybe if I keep it up, it will permanently reduce the hair growth - who knows?

Thanks to everyone for sharing advice.

#22700 - 01/22/06 04:00 PM Re: Pumice Stone Use
noone314 Offline

Hey Westbury,

Can you elaborate a little? I tried a pumice stone and it didn't work. Is there a specific produce you use? Also, how coarse is your hair? It didn't seem to work for me on either fine or coarse hair.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Noone314

#54114 - 07/21/08 06:52 PM Re: Pumice Stone Use [Re: noone314]
Jaganess Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Massachusetts
I am having the same problem too, I tried my pumice stone and nothing happened, an advice would be greatly appreciated
Hormone levels: Stable, detailed tests were done

Machine: Apilus Senior microflash (uses Blend method)
Treatment includes..:
Upper lip- 10 minutes
Torso- 50 minutes

Four treatments so far...

#57080 - 10/27/08 03:25 AM Re: Pumice Stone Use [Re: Jaganess]
ugah Offline

I tried the purnice stone today in my shoulders, but like westbury did his first time I too burned my skin a bit..
As for the method it depends on what you want I guess.
Put a bit of shower gel or similar on your stone and rub gently in a circular motion to remove the hair, this will cause the hairs to entangle and eventually break. Up and down motion just seems to make them finer but perhaps works best for coarse hair, but the change won't happen overnight, you need to do it for a few weeks and keep doing it after that I guess.

#61423 - 04/14/09 03:24 AM Re: Pumice Stone Use [Re: ugah]
Furrlife Offline
Contributor

I just joined this forum and everything everyone has said is very helpful. I am dealing with my beautiful daughter's unwanted facial hair. I feel like crying when she goes to sleep because everything we are doing could potentially make things worse. She is adament about getting electrolysis, which I think can not be done until age 18, but we have 6 more years of fighting this battle along with acne! We have done Nair,waxing and tweezing. Waxing and Nair are scary because she is on medication for acne. This makes the skin sensitive and can make a bad mark, thus I tweeze while she lies down and closes her eyes. I can tell it hurts. After reading about the pumice stone experience, I may try it on her in one area, but only with the Baby oil gel and I will watch for infection. I will report back here in a few days if she agrees to try this. Being young, her facial hair is soft, I was going to just bleach it, but maybe I will try the pumice stone first. Thanks everyone.

#61426 - 04/14/09 09:27 AM Re: Pumice Stone Use [Re: Furrlife]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
As mentioned in the other thread, she CAN start electrolysis now, assuming you can find someone good in your area, and she really wants to do it.

Your best, easiest, temporary option is actually shaving, as it gives the best result with the least chance of negative side effects (assuming you don't have bright white skin and thick dark black hairs that show through the skin as shadow when you shave)

#61431 - 04/14/09 12:20 PM Re: Pumice Stone Use [Re: James W. Walker VII]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I know shaving is a real turn off for women and girls, but James is telling you true. All these other temporary methods leave you flirting with bigger problems in the future. One word of caution though: Do not do laser on her face. The hairs are too fine. It hurts a lot. It may induce more hair to grow.

If I were you and if she is highly motivated, I would think electrolysis. It must be gentle and the practitioner must be motherly (or fatherly) and reassuring. I work on younger teens, when THEY ARE DRIVING THIS EFFORT WITH HEALTHY MOTIVATION. Ease her into this. If you can find someone with a newer computerized epilator, sensation and speed will be on her side. Someone with an older epilator who is experienced can come close sometimes to mimic what a computerized epilator can do.

Just get those consults. If you can personally go check out people and have electrolysis performed on yourself first, then you can spare her from being the guinea pig as you decide on who you will trust with your beautiful daughters skin. If she see's that you are having electrolysis and you are positive about this, it may be easier for her. Daughters watch their Mothers closely as I'm sure you know by now! Prepare the way for her. If you have to travel a bit, turn it into something fun as well. Do something in combination with the electrolysis treatment, like have a lunch together in a different a kind of restaurant. Go shopping. Go sightseeing. Combine it with a movie. Start the search close to home and spread out to a travel radius that is doable for you.

Good luck and work hard to make a proper decision.

Dee
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Beard Electrolysis
by adamj95
02:47 PM
PCOS-Hirsuitism and its cocktail
by The Dowager
04:12 PM
Find an electrologist in East Anglia
by h56ty
03/23/17 11:56 AM
How to find an electrologist in your area
by smac
03/22/17 08:28 PM
One-touch electrolysis
by fenix
03/21/17 09:22 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9438
James W. Walker VII 8023
Andrea 4145
Michael Bono 3051
Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod