consumer hair removal forum
Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#40487 - 03/21/07 12:28 AM Re: Additional info [Re: jeffk]
jme1 Offline
Major Contributor

I'm assuming that they are just updating the Sirna website, otherwise they probably would have just closed it down and had a re-direct to Merck's site.

Since the deal is final on March 31, maybe we will get some news shortly afterwards.

Sponsored Links
#41173 - 04/13/07 02:06 AM Re: Sirna Update [Re: tehbeast]
newbie133 Offline
Contributor

hey, does anyone know whats the deal with sirna? it seems like they have jsut stopped all their trials after the aqquisition, the website hasnt been updated and there doesnt seem to be any info about them on the merck site. any info would be appreciated
regards

#41177 - 04/13/07 02:27 AM Re: Sirna Update [Re: newbie133]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
No, don't know. I did talk to a couple physicians about permanent hair removal at the cellular level and Sirna's quest.

They stressed how this kind of stuff is dependent on venture capitalists coming forth and how this not always a steady, faithful way to get things done. A lot of these projects fizzle. This takes a whole lot of spending money. They didn't talk optimistically about projects like this getting enough attention for a sustained anount of time. They are closely involved with how drug companies work, so I'm thinking, they should know what they are talking about.

Dee
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#41179 - 04/13/07 02:55 AM Re: Sirna Update [Re: dfahey]
jme1 Offline
Major Contributor

Merck is a very big company with A LOT of capital available to get projects from trials to market. I don't know if Sirna could have done it alone. I believe even though there hasn't been any updates on their websites, I think there have been updates to patents regarding Sirna's hair removal product within the last few months.

#41209 - 04/13/07 10:14 PM Re: Sirna Update [Re: jme1]
jeffk Offline
Contributor

JME is right,

Merck is one of the top 5 global-players in pharma.
I wonder if anybody of our 14.000 members knows someone working with Merck or is directly involved with Merck? Maybe they could answer some question about teh start of clinical trials?

Edited by jeffk (04/13/07 10:15 PM)

#41213 - 04/13/07 10:49 PM Re: Sirna Update [Re: dfahey]
Eddy Offline
Major Contributor

I don't understand how there couldn't be enough capital to get Sirna's hairless programme off and running. A quick, simple, painless, PERMANENT hair removal product has the potential to be a TRILLION dollar breakthrough. I don't know a single woman who wouldn't want to use it on their legs/underarms or man on his back, etc, etc.
What the heck is Merck waiting for!?!?!!?

#41218 - 04/13/07 11:40 PM Re: Sirna Update [Re: Eddy]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Maybe Merck is afraid of being sued again and again and again.... Remember Vioxx? Vioxx was a great drug. There are 190 class action lawsuits against Merck over this drug. Merck has set aside a BILLION dollars through this year to pay for legal expenses related to just this one drug. That kind of takes the steam out of research and development side of things for hair removal.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#41219 - 04/13/07 11:57 PM Re: Sirna Update [Re: dfahey]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Another thing:

Just looking at this list of 134 clinical trials being sponsered or having been sponsered by Merck is enough to make me wonder if hair removal at the cellular level is something they are going fund. Metastatic colon cancer or finding an HIV vaccine verses permanent hair removal? hmmmm, let me think? Which do we prioritize here?

I'm sorry to be so doubtful and I hope my true feelings about their intentions to help hairy people are wrong. Really, I do, but I'm it's just not coming together for me. It is my understanding that Merck is interested in Sirna's role to assist with finding drugs that can interfer at cellular level for different cancers. There are many "risks and uncertainties with these forward-looking statements". A lot of money and time can be invested by the company with no results. If they discover how to turn off cancer cells, then and only then, may hair removal not be far behind. Just my thoughts.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct/screen/Brow...recruiting=true

Edited by dfahey (04/14/07 12:16 AM)
Edit Reason: more thoughts
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

#41220 - 04/14/07 12:21 AM Re: Sirna Update [Re: dfahey]
jme1 Offline
Major Contributor

Well, I happen to believe Quest will have something out on the market before Sirna/Merck. That being said, I see no reason that S/M would not go forward with this.

Every year Merck is losing money as their patents expire and generics can be made from these once lucrative pills. For every pill they lose to patent expiration, they need to have many more possibilities in the pipeline.

I highly doubt Merck is afraid of being sued. They are in the business to make money. Vioxx was a bump for them. Many of the class action suits are about to be thrown out. For every bump there is a Gardasil or Januvia.

It's not to say there won't be problems with this. Clinical trials haven't even started yet so we don't know how well this will work.

Dee, I'm not sure what you mean by "If they discover how to turn off cancer cells, then and only then, may hair removal not be far behind." Sirna has been working on a number of possible treatments including those targeting macular degeneration, huntington's disease, asthma and cancer to name a few. This is NOT turning cells off. It is merely the suppression of messenger RNA. Destruction of mRNA prevents protein synthesis. In hair removal this in turn causes disruption of hair follicle integrity.

They know how RNAi technology works. It is the delivery that is the tricky part. With hair removal though, the delivery is pretty simple. They are getting better at delivery with many treatments though. MD trials showed marked improvements in patients sight. Hep C primate studies showed 99% virus load suppression.

One other note. Merck has done some work in this area. They are the makers of Propecia.

Edited by jme1 (04/14/07 12:45 AM)

#41221 - 04/14/07 12:32 AM Re: Sirna Update [Re: jme1]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

I just don't see anything to do with the "hairless gene" on their pipeline charts, the last being updated in February 2007.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Message to depilacionelectr(Jos
efa)

by Iluv2zap
11:52 PM
DIY Electrolysis Equipment + Other Questions
by Greek
03:31 PM
Congratulations to Jennifer Lynn
by dfahey
09:36 AM
Wanting to train as an electrologist in NZ
by Iluv2zap
08:16 AM
Ingrown Extraction!
by AlineBetancourt
04/28/17 04:55 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9453
James W. Walker VII 8027
Andrea 4146
Michael Bono 3063
Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod