consumer hair removal forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#32213 - 04/21/06 08:55 AM Hydrogen Peroxide and Lemon Juice
Christopher_B Offline

Hi all!

I read on a website that if you mix hydrogen peroxide and lemon juice together and apply it to your body it acts as a body hair bleach. I gave it a try, and it actually works. It is more mild than what you would get if you bought stuff from the drugstore, but it's something. My questions is this: is this ok to use on your skin fairly often? The label on hydrogen peroxide says not to use it for an extended period of time, and not to apply it to a large area of the body (say my entire chest/stomach). Are these precautions in place because it is being assumed that you are using the hydrogen peroxide on cuts, scrapes, etc... Will using it long term, say once every week or so, do something bad?

Chris.

Sponsored Links
#32214 - 04/21/06 10:57 AM Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Lemon Juice
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
Your bigger problem would be exposure to sun after treatment with this mixture. You would be much more easily sunburnt.

#32215 - 04/21/06 06:05 PM Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Lemon Juice
Christopher_B Offline

Are you talking in general (like the next day), or just following application? I usually do this right before bed, and therefore have no exposure to the sun right after application.

#32216 - 04/21/06 11:31 PM Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Lemon Juice

Top 10 Contributor

I don't remember the number of hours this keeps you vulnerable, but flying by the seat of my pants, I would say that somewhere between overnight and 24 hours would sound right to me.

#32217 - 04/22/06 02:52 AM Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Lemon Juice
Christopher_B Offline

But other than that, you believe this is safe for long-term usage?

#32218 - 04/22/06 03:20 AM Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Lemon Juice
viewer Offline
Contributor

Loc: USA
Yes this would make you photosensitive. All citrus acids do.

Worse the hydrogen peroxide is absorbed through the skin into your body where it is toxic. That is why they say not overlarge areas and limited use.

#32219 - 04/22/06 03:31 AM Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Lemon Juice
Christopher_B Offline

Quote:

Worse the hydrogen peroxide is absorbed through the skin into your body where it is toxic. That is why they say not overlarge areas and limited use.

Oh, this is different. I'm thinking this is not something I should do then. Is the lemon juice strong enough on its own?

#32220 - 04/22/06 01:54 PM Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Lemon Juice

Top 10 Contributor

The peroxide is used to get the lemon juice into the fibers. It is the cause of the "Plumping Effect" that bleaching of hairs causes. You go from little black hairs, to thicker blonde hairs. Is the trade off worth it?

Most people are best served by shaving or clipping.

#32221 - 04/23/06 10:01 AM Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Lemon Juice
Christopher_B Offline

The thing is I have very white skin, and very dark, thick, black hair. Shaving/trimming leaves very obvious dots or stubs. Bleaching seems to work ok, if done often. It is unfortunate I am learning it cannot be used so often as I would wish.

On an unrelated note, is there anything I can do about two hairs growing from the same follicle at the same time on my stomach? I tried plucking one from each of these, to thin it out, and it actually looked pretty good. The hairs were not so prominent and obvious anymore, and it looked better. Unfortunately, the hairs started growing back, and I started having odd looking dark bases at each of these points. It would be a CONSTANT battle trying to pluck these all the time. I didn't notice this multiple hairs thing until after I experimented with sugaring my stomach. I think after the hair started growing back is when this all started. Any link, or just a coincidence? Anything I can do to straighten out the growing pattern?

Chris.

#32222 - 04/26/06 12:31 AM Re: Hydrogen Peroxide and Lemon Juice
Christopher_B Offline

Anybody?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Old dudes ...
by adrien_sanchiz
Today at 04:33 AM
Feeling Sad
by Fairygirl
Today at 03:50 AM
Electrolysis/Laser Feet, opinion - pic attached
by Michael Bono
Yesterday at 08:16 AM
Newbie journey
by MrsV
06/18/18 08:49 PM
Excessive Lymph During Treatment?
by dimi
06/18/18 10:14 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9672
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4157
Michael Bono 3411
Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod