consumer hair removal forum
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#33315 - 11/28/06 12:49 AM Re: Quest pharmatech
jme1 Offline
Major Contributor

I ended up writing Quest last night to find out any new developments. I asked when they expected this product to make it to the general public and also whether or not they knew if this would be a temporary, long-lasting method or permanent.

They wrote me back today and said that they are in the process of initiating another clinical trial which should answer the questions I inquired about. The trial is anticipated for the middle of 2007.

Sponsored Links
#33316 - 11/30/06 11:46 PM Re: Quest pharmatech
Eddy Offline
Major Contributor

Hmm looks like PhotoDerma will beat them to the punch then, as both companies seem to be working on the same product. PhotoDerma continues to say they will have a product ready by the end of 2007 on their website however this hasn't been updated in some time and we still don't know if PhotoDerma expects to have a product capable of permanent removal.
Waiting, waiting, waiting

#33317 - 12/06/06 01:32 PM Re: Quest pharmatech
Baron Offline
Contributor

Quote:

I'm not one to believe in the conspiracy theories. I would think even if a company like Gillette was looking at this technology, I don't think that they would bury it.

I'm not sure what the cost of Sirna's product is going to be, but I have to assume it's going to be expensive. Possibly more expensive than what an individual would pay for a life time of razors. Many men may choose never to use this on their face to get rid of their beards, so I don't think they would lose that market. They probably would gain since more men and women who have used no hair removal methods for certain areas of their body may now make use of this product.

I loathe conspiracy theories in general, but not in this case. Well, it's not even a conspiracy theory, actually. It's just plain and simple capitalism. Companies are not here to help people, they're here to make money. I'm pretty sure that companies like Gilette are willing to pay a lot for a patent for a product that could virtually wipe them off the market.

Besides that: I've been following news on permanent hair removal for quite some years now. Fact is that there is and always has been talk of a new promising product or technology. Nevertheless, practically nothing has changed. Every year there's a new scam, every year there's a new desillusion. The only real change has been laser hair removal. And that is not exactly a big competitor for major companies like Gilette, ... , so they let it slide. But you can always keep dreaming about a miracle product coming along, of course. But it's a bit na´ve, if you ask me.

Having said this: they could of course make the product expensive enough, so that regular people stick to razors, waxing and depilation creams and only committed people buy their product. But that's a long shot, from their point of view.

#33318 - 12/06/06 11:18 PM Re: Quest pharmatech
jme1 Offline
Major Contributor

Everyone is entitled to their opinion when it comes to matters like this, but it's almost as bad as people believing the government has a cure for cancer or AIDS and is just keeping it away from the public. Doesn't work that way.

If Gilette really wanted to keep people away from hair removal solutions other than shaving, they would have bought up all the patents to laser or vaniqa. They certainly would have bought out little Sirna before Merck if they were concerned, or better yet Skinetics before the "secret" got out.

#33319 - 12/07/06 09:09 AM Re: Quest pharmatech
Baron Offline
Contributor

Quote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion when it comes to matters like this, but it's almost as bad as people believing the government has a cure for cancer or AIDS and is just keeping it away from the public. Doesn't work that way.

If Gilette really wanted to keep people away from hair removal solutions other than shaving, they would have bought up all the patents to laser or vaniqa. They certainly would have bought out little Sirna before Merck if they were concerned, or better yet Skinetics before the "secret" got out.

Those are very strange comparisons. Excess hair does not compare to AIDS or cancer, first of all. The consequences of AIDS and cancer are slightly more severe, wouldn't you say? After all, excess hair is a cosmetic problem, nothing else. AIDS and cancer are not exactly cosmetic problems. If people were to die from excess hair, then the situation would change.

Secondly, as I explained, Vaniqa and laser are not competitors for Gilette at all. They're not going to sell one depilatory or razor less because of laser or Vaniqa. Common people (with no excess hair) don't go to a spa to get their legs/chest/... lasered and don't use Vaniqa, because it's simply not worth the while. But they do use a razor or a depilatory instead. Thus Gilette doesn't mind about laser or Vaniqa. On the contrary, if they could make enough profit out of these products, they'd probably make them themselves.

Now, if there would be a product on the market that would free all people from hair for a fair price and without going through a painstaking process (eg product described above), then Gilette would be seriously in trouble and try to do whatever they can to stop that product from getting on the market. That's not a conspiracy theory, but simple, basic capitalist logic. And after all, what profit would any company make of a product that would people make rid of their hair permanently? Then they would make no more profit, because there would be no clients at all left. You seem to think that companies think in the interest of people like us, and try to do whatever they can to help us, but they don't. They think in the interest of their shareholders. If you think that's a conspiracy theory, I'm afraid you're wrong, imho.

But, as I also pointed out, there might be an "escape route" from all this, if they succeed to make a product that has a price setting that is interesting enough for committed people like us (who are willing to pay a little extra) and not interesting at all for common people, who are not bothered by their hair. The solution would be that they create a product that only appeals (by its price, for example) to that particular part of the market. Any other product would kill giants like Gilette, ... . Therefor, you can still hope such a product is created. But a easy, fair priced product that is accessible for everyone? Think again. Not as long as it's a free market (what's in a name) out there.

#33320 - 12/07/06 11:08 PM Re: Quest pharmatech
jme1 Offline
Major Contributor

I don't believe anyone thinks this is going to be a product that is going to be something cheap you get over the counter. Sirna already stated it would be administered by a physician.

#33321 - 12/08/06 10:55 PM Re: Quest pharmatech
Mack10 Offline
Contributor

Baron,

I agree with you that a company who creates a product such as permanent hair removal is going to manufacture it in such a way as to bring them the greatest profits possible. Therefore, they would benefit from physician administered or multiple sessions required, etc... However I dont think you have any clue over what a free market stands for. A free market does not allow the formation of monopolies that can control and push their influence on other companies in order to manipulate the market. There is a huge system of checks and balances which prevents this. Now one can argue they could buy the product and then destroy it themselves. However I have already described on this website how it would not be beneficial for a company such as sirna to sell such a product to company that will not use it. This is due to the fact that a major portion of thier profit from such a sell would come from royalties and milestones in furture usage. I think the sell of Sirna Inc to Merck is a perfect example of how people are interested in permanent hair removal and how companies like gillete cannot not stop it because there are companies that have close to or has much money as proctor and gamble (owner of gillette) who are interested in bringing a product like this to the market because the demand is high enough.

I am tired of people thinking of conspiracy theories, lets focus on creating a product that actually works before we start shouting out conspiracy theories.

A free market allows companies to sell whatever product they feel the market has a high demand for. I think this is proven by the amount of companies that have jumped into the race to create a permanent hair removal product.

#33322 - 12/09/06 03:00 AM Re: Quest pharmatech
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Amen,Mack! Well said.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#33323 - 12/28/06 02:18 AM Re: Quest pharmatech
jme1 Offline
Major Contributor

"Quest PharmaTech Strengthens its Patent Protection for SonoLight Technology"

http://micro.newswire.ca/release.cgi?rkey=1412053457&view=43406-0&Start=0

This from a December 5th news announcement on Quest's website. It seems Quest is applying for 8 patents with 6 of these patents being directed for their "Sonolight Technology."

This includes treatment for prostrate cancer, acne, as well as hair removal. Perhaps Quest sees much success in their trials so they are making sure that intellectual property remains theirs.

#33324 - 01/10/07 04:50 PM Re: Quest pharmatech
jeffk Offline
Contributor

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 11 12 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Advice for customers.
by Michael Bono
11:36 AM
Letting too much time pass between sessions
by Roselake21
07:19 AM
Electrolysis on legs
by Roselake21
05:17 PM
Before & After electrolysis photos!
by Roselake21
05:16 PM
In need of some feedback
by angelfeather
12/09/17 07:22 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9611
James W. Walker VII 8049
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3181
Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod