Hop To:
#33484 - 06/14/06 11:58 AM Re: Getting Started with Electrolysis
Arlene R. Batz, CPE Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York City - Queens
Hmmm, let's see.
A market need.
A whole in the market.
Seems like a good opportunity for some entrepeneur.
Is it necessary for a JC to offer the curriculum?
A private trade school unacceptable in NJ?
There are certainly enough esthetic schools throughout NJ. I actually spoke with an administrative decision maker at Christine Valmy about 2 years ago, about developing an electrology curriculum. Their main office is in NJ.
The idea was blown off and I was told that they have a laser, are teaching about laser but were not actually doing hands on, just observation and theory. I was told that they didn't feel like devoting space for an electrology course.

It is a shame that one would not shout out the names of the schools that reject the curriculum.

As a person who's life has been dramatically affected by PCOS, it becomes very personal. At least those who want the course can come to NYC and take it - pending approval.

Sponsored Links
#33485 - 06/14/06 04:13 PM Re: Getting Started with Electrolysis
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
So once again, it is really up to consumer education to drive the market forces, as no one will want to invest in training electrologists until they see people turning down LASER, Waxing, and Threading and demanding the Gold Standard

Oh, and by the way,
Quote:

I will use the word LOSE and LOOSE in a sentence to help distinguish the difference:

First example: As a LOOSE maiden, she is likely to LOSE her virginity before she weds.
...A market need. A whole in the market.

I will use the words WHOLE and HOLE in a sentence to help distinguish the difference:

When someone makes an issue out of a typographical HOLE in someone's fast typing, they miss out on the point that most people understood the WHOLE truth of what the person was meaning to say.

Don't think that I don't believe it is a personal issue. I know what it is like trying to find someone who can take care of the problem, and finding that services are very limited or not available in one's area. The more consumers who read enough to get past the Televised hype, the better off we will all be. It is not like we can accept this situation in the way we accept the fact that modern appliances are made to fail in 3 to 5 years, due to the fact that the options in newer appliances changes so radically in 3 to 5 years, everyone wants an excuse to buy a new one anyway.

No one will march on washington for iron to re-replace aluminum parts in say, washer dryers. Now if people would make their desire known for real results for permanent hair removal known with more than their willingness to spend $19.99 plus shipping and handling for every quack device that gets shown on late night TV, we might have something going on here.

#33486 - 06/15/06 03:33 AM Re: Getting Started with Electrolysis
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: San Diego, California
First of all, thanks to all the pros. We're lucky to have you.

Anyway, Dee, I did read up on the campaign that electrolysis.com is launching. I think it's good that they have the internet option. More of interest was the institution links that list the curriculum topics. Although I live in California, it's tempting to give my sister's Texas address to qualify for online education. $5,000 or so is not a whole lot for gaining the ability to have an additional pro-level skill. I'm really fascinated by the simplicity of electrolysis and the way one can get absorbed in jumping from follical to follical and being able to tune out and relax. I feel for the bigger machine manufacturers that have put time into making state of the art machines, just to face such a user-drought. They should require you guys to buy a machine each year just to keep them in business No wonder Hinkle and Fischer merged. It's just survival. I did go over to Prestigeelectrolysis.com but I guess the site is undergoing something. I'll try back later. And, yes, I need to get some #2's myself.

Arlene, thanks for the loupe pointer. I hadn't purchased loupes yet, and did get some B&L 1.8, 2.2,2.6's. Can't they be increased by wearing 1x or 2x eyeglasses with them in conjunction? If those don't give me a good working distance then I'll scout a pair like my electrologist. She has this real light-weight skinny frame type that has a flip-upable lensmounted to just one stick coming out. I like those, she works about ten inches away. I like the surgical type that has the little individual refractor lenses for each eye. Anyone use those? Nice, but at $189 they'll have to wait.

James, thanks for the tip on the book, that saves me money so I can buy more Neosporin, and that's a great supply resource because there's nothing that I know of on ebay or driveable around here. I plan on putting in an order within the next few days with them. I want to get started on that book. I need the book, the encyclopedia, and some fresh expired stock #2's and #3's. I recieved samples of gold Ballet needles (F3G's) along with the standard F3's. I'm wondering if those give a better delivery, gold being a good conductor, and easier insertion?. My electrologist uses standard silver, but then again she doesn't have any good magazines in her waiting area. I got a better swingarm lamp (center halogen/ with a circular flouresent, ...no, no magnifying glass, thank you) and it's way better than the cheap Ikea lamp I was using. I found the FX bulb too, but am going with a type A 100 watt Halogen for now. Comfort, it doesn't get as hot.

Yesterday I set everything up, sanitized everything, got it all ready to go. Now I find there's a lot of minor points I need to address; which handle size is best, big or small? Do I have hair roots that curl? Doing cataphoresis, depth guaging, using a slightly bent needle, etc. Just lots of minor points I want to get resolved by reading the Bono book, nagging my electrologist, and looking in the forum archives. Actually not so minor as these are things i need to know down pat. I'm still at least a month away from any kind of attempt. And won't do so until I can do a few insertions with my electrologist monitoring Anyway, thanks to all who contribute, with wisdom and money!

Mantaray

Edited by Mantaray (06/15/06 03:43 AM)

Electrolysis, since 1875

#33487 - 06/15/06 12:36 PM Re: Getting Started with Electrolysis

Top 10 Contributor

Thank YOU for making such detailed posts. Perhaps some people will read these and get the idea that they have to rethink their position that electrolysis is something that a well trained Circus Chimp could perform.

#33488 - 06/16/06 06:05 AM Re: Getting Started with Electrolysis
NoHair Offline
Top Ten Contributor

And if those same people do enough research, they'll also discover that not everyone needs to be so particular as Mantaray to do successful DIY electrolysis.

With no training, $2 reading glasses, a florescent desk lamp, decent tweezers, and a One Touch or upgraded home built unit ( http://www.geocities.com/hairfreethere/ ), I was able to remove all my pubic hair and under arm hair.

I find it amazing that it is possible for people to rid themselves of hair so simply. DIY can be tedious, but rewarding and affordable for those that can't spend the time and money to go to a pro.

I don't think Chimps can do it, but many people can do DIY without extreme measures. Yes, there are many that don't have the patience, eyesight, and steady hands to DIY, but I bet there's many that can once they're done enough research and enough practice. Those with special health problems are another matter entirely.

It never hurts to be cautious and learn all you can. But in my first month of not waiting, I already had made good progress in establishing that DIY (Galvanic) wasn't all that tricky and I was well into getting clearance and satisfaction. Maybe I was in a circus in a past life.

#33489 - 06/17/06 02:07 AM Re: Getting Started with Electrolysis
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

James, www.texaselectrolysissupply.com (TES) had the new edition of Bono, 'Real World Electrolysis: The Blend Method' for $36 dollars. I got that, and a copy of the old standard Hinkle book 'Electrolysis, Thermolysis, and the Blend' and some other things good to have around. The hinkle book is older, but I was browsing it while getting treated yesterday. I thought it had good, basic theory explanations. They get out orders quickly too. Just a good, no frills supplier. Thanks!

Arlene, I'm fast realizing the loupes are a huge factor. One can only treat what one can get a clear shot at. Focal distance is everything. It seems the stronger, the closer. Not good for the DIY'er. My electrologist just smirks and tells me to 'Just try and stay away from my good work.' I'm going to keep an eye out for something that can give me twelve to 18 inches of work distance at at least 1.8x. Unrealistic? Guess I better limber up, and that also might mean staying away from the big helpings of lasagna. Medical, jeweler, or technical, there just may be something out there I haven't seen yet. But I wil say, after I got the loupes today, I was completely into it and motivated.

Thanks All,

Mantaray

Electrolysis, since 1875

#33490 - 06/17/06 04:19 AM Re: Getting Started with Electrolysis

Top 10 Contributor

Now you see why I use stereo binocular scopes. I have a minimum of 14 inches focal distance, and although my feild of vision is reduced to 2 square inches, every hair in that short space looks like the size of a pencil sticking out of a sheet of paper.

#33491 - 06/18/06 10:51 PM Re: Getting Started with Electrolysis
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

With 16-21 inches of focal length to keep one's back healthy, deal me in. I had never even thought of getting those. My electrologist wants them too now. Mind sharing what you think are the best brands? There's a few, all competitively priced, from $200 to $300. Brands I'm considering:

Med-Lite (various types and titanium)
Eagle Optical
Leica
U.S. Micro-Surgical Optical

Thanks,
Mantaray

Electrolysis, since 1875

#33492 - 06/19/06 02:19 PM Re: Getting Started with Electrolysis

Top 10 Contributor

I am not the best source on this point. I like Zeiss lenses, and although Zeiss sells its own brand name stuff, which is what I use, other companies purchase Zeiss lenses, and put them into their own visual aides.

Most companies will allow you to try them out, or have a generous returns policy, as they know you need to use the item to find out if it works for what you want to do with it.

I would call the places that sell them, or the companies themselves, and arrange an in home trial. Zeiss will send you loupes and multiple lenses with a Credit Card to secure the items, and you have 30 days to try them out, and send them back with no obligation. I think the only thing you pay is shipping charges, and if you find what you want, you just keep what you want, and return the things you don't.

#33493 - 06/21/06 11:36 AM Re: Getting Started with Electrolysis
sparx Offline
Major Contributor

Quote:

Now you see why I use stereo binocular scopes. I have a minimum of 14 inches focal distance, and although my feild of vision is reduced to 2 square inches, every hair in that short space looks like the size of a pencil sticking out of a sheet of paper.

what make are they and model

do you have a link James

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Apilus Senior 13 Mhz for DIY?
by blueberry
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
New Hinkel video/tape 5-minutes
by melb_aussie
Yesterday at 11:54 AM
Electrologists in India
by HairByHair
Yesterday at 08:34 AM
Suggestions on my case and DIY info
by Iluv2zap
08/18/18 02:12 PM
Whirlpool Forums immediately delete my posts
by Deedra
08/17/18 11:49 AM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
Deedra 9702
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4157
Michael Bono 3466
Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod