Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#3375 - 04/13/03 12:52 PM Re: men shaving legs?? ****
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Los Angeles
Plenty of athletic guys shave their legs, especially triathletes and bodybuilders.

Todd, as far as waxing, you might stay smooth anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. I shave between epilations, and I can usually go a month or so.

Thread Sponsors
#3376 - 04/20/03 11:24 AM Re: men shaving legs??
RJC2001 Offline

Top Ten Contributor

Loc: USA
I shave my legs too and have never regretted it. The vast majority of comments have been positive. I work out with weights and like the look and comfort of being hair free. It makes your muscles look bigger and more defined. I believe that shaved legs on men is becoming more acceptable and will become more common as time goes on. We will set the example.

I like the look so much I'm thinking of having my legs lasered if I get the time.

RJC2001

#3377 - 05/05/03 12:34 PM Re: men shaving legs??
tgkedsgirl Offline

Loc: Arizona
Men shaving their legs? Well, do you read Maxim magazine? Supposedly THE men's macho mag? Inside their latest issue is an ad for Nair For Men!

I have my own reasons, but I have shaved since I was 17 and am now 31. Actually, being transgendered has emboldened me to shave my legs since then, although I almost always dress clearly male. My wife likes my smooth legs, and I almost never get any odd comments on my legs. And the other guys are right, too. Considering myself a heterosexual male, I've had lots of good comments from women who like my legs, and several even want to feel how smooth they are.

There are times I let the hairs grow out, but eventually I get grossed out now and have to get rid of the hair. Shaving is rare for me b/c I use an epilator. It hurts like heck at first, but I hardly felt any pain after the first few times.

Men with FUR should shave in my opinion. We don't need it to keep us warm anymore.... and you'll see how chicks dig it.

Tgkedsgirl [Wink]

#3378 - 05/22/03 02:57 PM Re: men shaving legs??
tallman36 Offline

I want to thank everyone for their input and also to say that instead of shaving I decided to take the leap and get them waxed and I am so glad I did. They look and feel great. So clean and smooth. It is great that there is no stubble after a couple of days. I recommend it.

Tallman36

#3379 - 05/22/03 03:31 PM Re: men shaving legs??
Aguila Offline
Major Contributor

Tallman36

Congrats on that the excellent leap of being smooth.

Shaving, IMHO really sucks,,,,,, you're locked into it everyday or the stubs.

Like most of the people have told you,,,,, don't worry about what some people might say,,,,, just go with what makes you look and feel better.

I'm sure waxing will give you the smooth look you want and you will feel much better, much longer,,,, especially with the time between the waxings, not like shaving everyday, huh.

I believe, that after the second time of waxing you shouldn't have any hairs for about two weeks and than one week of letting the hair get long enough to wax it again.

I myself use a duel rotary epilator(works smoothly, efficiently and no pain)
I use it every other day or 3 days till them hairs get over 1mm then their gone.

#3380 - 06/04/03 09:57 PM Re: men shaving legs??
Alan Offline

Loc: TX
Geez I think as a young guy who is quite monkeyesque, I hope I spelled that right, I've heard more about shaving than anyone. Personally I'm a hairy mofo, I have hair on chest, stomach, butt, legs, arms, and I'm really ticked about this one, a thin film over shoulders onto upper back area, so forth (my father is a beastly ape who belongs in a zoo) unfortunately we monkey types are looked down on for being further down in the evolutionary scale. It has been the cause of GREAT insecurity that pours over beyond personal life. With that said if a guy is an athlete or not and wants to shave entire body, go for it, you'll bag lots of chicks and the very few that are left might go for us yaks with our fur suits who shave or wax occasionally. It just sucks bein such a darn good lookin guy who is insecure over a thing like body hair UGH!

#3381 - 06/04/03 09:58 PM Re: men shaving legs??
Alan Offline

Loc: TX
Oh and the insecure part is referring to myself, just so people dont get ticked at me.

#3382 - 07/03/04 09:33 PM Re: men shaving legs??
BOLTS Offline

Loc: Canada
What does it typically cost to wax your legs?(men) and where do you go for this?

#3383 - 09/08/04 01:59 AM Re: men shaving legs??
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: San Diego, California
Hi, because the whole wax thing is oriented towards women as more frequent customers, and some women only have a need to wax their lower legs, not their feet or upper legs, it's broken into parts: Lower leg wax: $25-35, Upper leg wax: about $35-40, and feet, because if you wax your legs and leave your feet as is, it's gonna look like you're wearing "hair shoes", about $10-15. Package deals will bring it down to about $50-60 for entire legs. Now these are Southern California prices, they may be cheaper elsewhere. Also, the first time you have it done, if you've never waxed or epilated, I won't lie, it's gonna hurt like bloody hell. Also, your hair has to be at least a quarter inch long to do it. And maybe half an inch for first timers because the wax needs more to grip onto for pulling out with a bit more force needed. Also, men need to be waxed more frequently than women because of natural hairiness and hormonal factors, so, you'll see hairs in about two weeks, but will have to wait till they're a quarter to a half in long to get re-waxed, so you have fur for a third week. BUT, the next time you wax: the good side: it won't hurt nearly as much, the bad side: you'll probably see hairs inside of a week due to -now your dealing with hair cyles- and all your hairs now sprout out at different intervals. Your hair was always like this, but it's a non-factor when you just shave or use a dipilitory cream. It comes into play when you wax or epilate (kind of the same thing) and are dealing with new hair generation.

My advice, if your a guy, go buy an epilator, your gonna save a lot of money and time, and you're gonna look better during the ongoing weeks. It costs as much as two sessions of waxing, you can do it in the privacy of your own home. That is, you don't have to sit in a beauty salon reading a home decorating magazine while listening to two women talk about Brad Pitt's ass. The best thing is though, you can pull the hairs out when they're just at the peach fuzz stage and you don't have to walk around with quarter-inch hairs waiting for your next wax. After epilating now for two months, I would never pay to go get a wax, it's just not cost effective. But that's my opinion. Hope this helped.

Mantaray

#3384 - 01/20/05 08:18 PM Re: men shaving legs??
Stuart Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Florida
Hi IHH

That is probably one of the best posts I have read on this issue. Even though one can be athletic and shave your legs for this, this is not the only reason to do so. I cycle, but not in winter or in rainy weather or when it's too hot, but I still shave my legs every day. Since joining the forum and many posts on this subject in other places, I have picked up lots of advice and tips over the years on shaving my legs from people like yourself and RJC2001 who I see also popped up in this thread I shave my legs because I am used to shaving them and the look of shaved legs. I don't care what negative responses come out at all (and I must say there have been almost none). My legs have become very used to shaving and show no razor bumps or rashes even on the upper legs anymore. Generally I wear shorts most of the time so there is not much chafing from long trousers which might be why, but skin becomes conditioned and after some time in my case I get irritation if I miss a day shaving them.

So many guys write about insecurity or shyness/social acceptance, but clearly prefer shaved legs. As I have also mentioned before most teens and young men shave their legs where I live, possibly for sport but now I believe for the look as well. I am older but also do it for the look - both for my own comfort and also because I honestly know it looks better. I feel more like a man shaving than before I started. One must always remember that self confidence is self defining, and shaving my legs had taught me that I can do this without social embarresment because I am confident in myself of how I appear.

Men's grooming and appearence of cleanliness is changing and shaving legs is becoming part of how we look today. It is not effeminate as I can testify that my male body parts are all still there and have not fallen off since I shaved for the first time years ago . The few times I have had a glance from someone it has always been with clear interest/curiosity from both men and women and I have never sensed anything very negative - possibly quite the opposite from the guys, like "wow I'd like to try that too!"

Anyway the future is inevitable, and guys will shave as a norm sooner rather than later just like most men shave their faces.

Regards
Stuart

Page 2 of 52 < 1 2 3 4 51 52 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
prominent sebaceous glands: can hair removal help?
by Michael Bono
Yesterday at 09:16 PM
Feeling tired after electrolysis sessions
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 09:10 AM
Journey of a young French lady
by adrien_sanchiz
10/18/17 07:34 AM
should i continue laser hair removal?
by skydivingjess
10/17/17 11:12 PM
Electrolysis and Hydroquinone
by Arlene R. Batz, CPE
10/15/17 06:16 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9586
James W. Walker VII 8041
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3159
Who's Online
1 registered (TheFlyingProbe), 100 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod