Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#35557 - 08/24/06 11:00 AM Unwanted hair growth article
Andrea Offline
hairtell.com founder
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Los Angeles
From member lagirl: "I found a very good article on all the possible causes of excessive hair growth, including medical conditions and medications. Maybe you can post this in a sticky on both LHR and Electrolysis forums. Can probably help some people determine what they have or IF they have something."

http://www.pdrhealth.com/patient_education/BHG01EN13.shtml

Sponsored Links
#35558 - 08/26/06 07:40 PM Re: Unwanted hair growth article
JoanieH Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: S.F. Bay Area, Hayward
Hi Andrea,

After reading through the article, it does present a very good overview of hirsutism in women, and for the most part, it is in line with other information I have on file as far as the root causes and treatments for excess hair growth.

However, I did find 2 glaring errors as follows:

Quote:

Use physical hair-removal methods. Contrary to popular belief, temporary hair-removal methods such as shaving, waxing, tweezing , and depilatory creams do not cause hair to grow back coarser and darker than the original hair.

The inclusion of tweezing and waxing as non-stimulating methods of hair removal are definately incorrect. Any electrologist who has worked on eyebrows that have been tweezed for extensive lengths of time will know exactly what I am talking about.

Outside of this, it is an excellent source of information, athough quite limited in the number and types of drugs that have the potential to affect hair growth.

Joanne

#35559 - 08/26/06 10:57 PM Re: Unwanted hair growth article
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
yes, Joanie, completely agree there.

#35560 - 12/11/06 07:13 PM Re: Unwanted hair growth article
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

#43255 - 06/27/07 07:29 PM Re: Unwanted hair growth article [Re: ]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

uhuh. and you're not advertising your site.

#47490 - 11/23/07 02:48 AM Re: Unwanted hair growth article [Re: LAgirl]
Hair Removal Offline

thanks for the article

#48649 - 01/12/08 02:40 AM Re: Unwanted hair growth article [Re: JoanieH]
Lila Offline
Contributor

Loc: CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: JoanieH
Hi Andrea,

After reading through the article, it does present a very good overview of hirsutism in women, and for the most part, it is in line with other information I have on file as far as the root causes and treatments for excess hair growth.

However, I did find 2 glaring errors as follows:

Quote:
Use physical hair-removal methods. Contrary to popular belief, temporary hair-removal methods such as shaving, waxing, tweezing , and depilatory creams do not cause hair to grow back coarser and darker than the original hair.

The inclusion of tweezing and waxing as non-stimulating methods of hair removal are definately incorrect. Any electrologist who has worked on eyebrows that have been tweezed for extensive lengths of time will know exactly what I am talking about.

Outside of this, it is an excellent source of information, athough quite limited in the number and types of drugs that have the potential to affect hair growth.

Joanne

Wait, so do you mean that waxing and tweezing does cause hair to grow back darker and coarser?
SOrry if this is a dumb question but I thought it didn't \:\(

#48653 - 01/12/08 03:19 AM Re: Unwanted hair growth article [Re: Lila]
James W. Walker VII Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Buffalo NY, & Traveling the US...
Yes, it does cause hair to grow back thicker, darker, stronger, and in many cases, distorts the follicles so they don't even grow straight anymore.

In some cases, in places like legs, and eyebrows, the scar tissue can build up and cause the hair to stop growing, but in the overwhelming number of body parts, darker, thicker, coarser, gnarlier hairs are the norm.

#48655 - 01/12/08 03:23 AM Re: Unwanted hair growth article [Re: James W. Walker VII]
dfahey Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I agree, but I'm sure you will read and hear differing opinions on this subject.
ELECTROLYSIS FAQ'S:

British Institute & Association of Electrolysis

http://www.electrolysis.co.uk/?page_id=16

#48680 - 01/12/08 09:21 PM Re: Unwanted hair growth article [Re: dfahey]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

I think it really varies by person, body area, etc. It can also be hard to tell if you start waxing for example when you're still young and developing hair. I know of many women who have waxed their entire lives and never saw any increase in coarseness. I didn't after waxing for 5-6 years religiously. My mom overplucked her eyebrows when she was younger, and now barely has any left. They haven't grown back in the last 20 years, so I doubt they will. But there are others who do experience more growth after consistent waxing, especially on areas like the face.

Shaving definitely doesn't do this btw. It's been proven.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
My Electrolysis Diary. Laser stimulated hair.
by Krasnaja
Yesterday at 05:42 PM
My Skin Years After Last Session
by dj355
Yesterday at 03:23 PM
KREE imperial ? Galvanic epilator help
by Tommy750e
Yesterday at 02:19 PM
How to gauge results?
by ArunaKay
09/22/17 10:20 PM
vector hair removal system
by James W. Walker VII
09/22/17 07:10 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9562
James W. Walker VII 8041
Andrea 4148
Michael Bono 3115
Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod