Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#69613 - 02/05/10 02:53 PM Re: My experience with Vaniqa [Re: LAgirl]
angelaw Offline
Contributor

Loc: Dorset, UK
can i combine vaniqa with the electrolysis then? or is it not a good idea?

Sponsored Links
#69618 - 02/05/10 03:28 PM Re: My experience with Vaniqa [Re: angelaw]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
It defeats the point. Why slow down the growth when you should be killing that hair with electrolysis? Spend that money on more electrolysis hours instead. The best way to do electrolysis is to start with having long treatments up front to get to a clearance and then come in as soon as new hair pops up to kill it while it's weak.

#69620 - 02/05/10 03:36 PM Re: My experience with Vaniqa [Re: LAgirl]
angelaw Offline
Contributor

Loc: Dorset, UK
ah brill, thanks LAgirl....
i have found someone who i feel i can use now and sheis lovely too, so she'll make me feel better about the whole process.... everyone is so informative and level-headed on here!

#81367 - 12/24/10 12:37 AM Re: My experience with Vaniqa [Re: angelaw]
palisandra Offline
Contributor

Loc: Oakland, Ca
Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted but I was researching vaniqa for a friend and read this thread and am amazed by the timelines posed!

I have had to do my entire chin, underneath, out to the sides, lips and all that, and while it did take a few months or so (I'm thinking about 6 but I can't remember) to get to where we cleared every time, it certainly didn't clear up anytime soon after that.

I no go monthly, but this is my 6th year of electrolysis, and I don't think I had an amazing amount of hair. But, it only slowly tapered, and is still tapering. I went weekly, then eventually every two weeks as growth slowed down, then every 3 and now it's every 4. But 6 years! I don't know how anyone gets cleared in one year.

Anyone have insight? When I first got on this board it was when I was starting and I thought it might be a year or two, but I'm still at it. While it's definitely a lot less for sure, i still get enough to go in for a 45 minute appointment to get them all (used to be 1.5 hours weekly).

Is my electrologist doing it wrong? Can it be done wrong? Was I ripped off?

hmmm.

#81370 - 12/24/10 04:51 AM Re: My experience with Vaniqa [Re: palisandra]
audrey32 Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: palisandra
Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted but I was researching vaniqa for a friend and read this thread and am amazed by the timelines posed!

I have had to do my entire chin, underneath, out to the sides, lips and all that, and while it did take a few months or so (I'm thinking about 6 but I can't remember) to get to where we cleared every time, it certainly didn't clear up anytime soon after that.

I no go monthly, but this is my 6th year of electrolysis, and I don't think I had an amazing amount of hair. But, it only slowly tapered, and is still tapering. I went weekly, then eventually every two weeks as growth slowed down, then every 3 and now it's every 4. But 6 years! I don't know how anyone gets cleared in one year.

Anyone have insight? When I first got on this board it was when I was starting and I thought it might be a year or two, but I'm still at it. While it's definitely a lot less for sure, i still get enough to go in for a 45 minute appointment to get them all (used to be 1.5 hours weekly).

Is my electrologist doing it wrong? Can it be done wrong? Was I ripped off?

hmmm.

It took you 6 years to finish electrolysis on your face and you said that you didn't have much hair? SIX years????? wow.

#81373 - 12/24/10 02:29 PM Re: My experience with Vaniqa [Re: audrey32]
Barbara_CPE Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Kansas
When a woman begins growing excess facial hair they really don't know how much hair they are going to grow. If you begin to see hair, and begin to have it removed as soon as you start seeing it - you are fortunate if you are keeping ahead of the growth. If all electrolysis techniques are accurate, then the client who has 6 years of regular treatments is probably having the normal progressive growth that they would have seen without electrolysis - and fortunately at the end of that time - they are not suffering with the unwanted hair.

Full beards don't grow in overnight. They can take years to fully develop. It would understandable to "think" that maybe treatments are not working if you start electrolysis at the beginning or at the middle of your hair development. There are no tests to tell us how much you will grow and often times WHY a person even grows the hair.

#81400 - 12/26/10 10:03 PM Re: My experience with Vaniqa [Re: Barbara_CPE]
audrey32 Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: NY
ok but when a hair is destroyed completely it doesn't come back right? The ones that grow are new hairs, right??

#81403 - 12/27/10 12:54 AM Re: My experience with Vaniqa [Re: audrey32]
beate_r Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Hattersheim, Germany
Yes, they are. At least mostly (we are good but not perfect).

Audrey and palisandra, please have a look at a man's beard. It usually develops during its late puberty, but it is not uncommon that it will become slowly stronger and denser during half of his life. Every woman has the potential to grow a full beard like every man, if there is just enough DHT and her androgen receptors do fully work. This can be impressively learned from trans-men.

This means that hair can develop in the face of a woman's hair as long as the hormonal situation causing the hair growth persists.

Anyway: what You, palisandra, describe in terms of time and frequency accumulates to a pretty large amount of hours. Did You count them?

As a rule of thumb, a mans beard typically requires 150-200 hours, sometimes less, but sometimes much more. I am at more than 300 hours plus 11 laser treatments over meanwhile 5 1/2 yeas, and i am still not done.

Elektroepilation Dr. Beate Ritzert
http://epi.ritzert.net/en/

#81404 - 12/27/10 07:51 AM Re: My experience with Vaniqa [Re: beate_r]
palisandra Offline
Contributor

Loc: Oakland, Ca
It has been my understanding that each hair is treated multiple times before it actually doesn't come back. I'm assuming each of my hairs has needed more treatments than average. They were very, very thick, deep, and tough.

As for it growing in, I don't think that's it. It was "fully" grown in, growing from the age of about 18 to 30 and stable for years before I started, no new areas. I had been plucking all that time, unknowingly strengthening the roots (or so says my electrolysis books).

She at first could only remove about a quarter-sized amount of hair in an hour, usually in a patch just below the corner of my mouth but not quite the chin. Then, the next week she'd take any hairs that appeared there again if any, and would widen the patch. It was quite a while before we cleared my face, but no, I wouldn't say I had a lot of hair compared to, say, a man. Not by any means a full beard, and nothing on my cheeks but a few stray hairs. Just mostly under my chin, on my chin, going up the sides of my chin some, a bit of sideburn, and some lip. The under my chin area was very dense, though. Each hair did take a long time to finally slide out, though, and some just couldn't be treated for long enough to have it slide due to risking skin damage (I think?) so she kills it as much as she can and then takes it (could that "almost plucking" be actually making it worse?).

Anyway, as treatment progressed, I don't think I've seen any new growth, but I know it's hard to tell. It definitely lessens, and the hairs change in consistency, sort of getting weaker and stranger, nothing like they used to be. They are quite fair now, and can fall out if I play with them too much (so I don't).

As for the number of hours, no, I have no idea. At first it was weekly, so if that was a year or two, that could be 100 hours (or wait, did I do 1.5 hours at first? I think maybe...). Now it's once a month, so no more than 12 a year. I guess it's possible to be under 300 hours still. The once a month rate has been at least for 2 or 3 years now. I don't grow it fast enough anymore to have closer appointments, but I do still grow a number of hairs that still takes an hour to get (though, granted, I do a lot more lip than I used to, which adds to the time. I elected not to include those hairs at first, since they were lower priority comparatively at the time, so it's not really fair to say it takes an hour to clear. I think it's more like 40 minutes).

One of my concerns is that this electrologist does something unskilled or non-standard in my treatment, making this stretch out. I do feel that some of them are plucked, and I always wonder about it. She says she treats them as long as she can and then has to take them, but the books say you're supposed to treat until it slides out on it's own, right? I've always wondered if that is just strengthening the hair like my own plucking did all those years.

Has any of you ever seen someone go 6 years that had done 10-15 years of plucking before you started? Not a full beard at all, but the areas I did have were very densely packed.

I'm at least glad that all the hairs now are wimpy and fine and I don't see anything that looks like a new hair, such that I could tell (I remember the way they looked growing in, and they don't look like that now). So I'm clearly on the downhill side. But god, when is this going to be over? It'll be 6.5 years in feb (started in august).

#81411 - 12/27/10 09:25 PM Re: My experience with Vaniqa [Re: palisandra]
beate_r Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: Hattersheim, Germany
To sum it up: You have had significantly less hair than a typical male beard and have taken more hours than typically used for a male beard. Did i get it right?

Do You know what method she uses, galvanic, some kind of blend, slow thermolysis, fast thermolysis? How many hairs per minute (roghly), alternatively treatment time per hair? Did You compare that to the examples and hints on efficient treatment given for example in these forums?

Beate

Elektroepilation Dr. Beate Ritzert
http://epi.ritzert.net/en/

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Lasting results
by hairy Harry
Today at 09:02 PM
Recommended machine to buy in 2017?
by TheFlyingProbe
Today at 09:11 AM
Afraid of Laser Hair Stimulation
by purple potato
Today at 07:26 AM
Apilus Xcell for SALE Mint condition!
by Iluv2zap
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
is thermolysis safe on asian skin?
by geri
11/15/17 11:43 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
dfahey 9606
James W. Walker VII 8046
Andrea 4149
Michael Bono 3167
Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod