Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop To:
#42786 - 06/10/07 03:39 PM Re: Babyliss 8642U [Re: Velda]
Deedra Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: United States
The xylocaine/lidocaine spray is not effective. Aplying something like EMLA as thick as cake frosting (or 1/4" inch thick), occluding it for 1.5 - 2 hours works for most, but I'm talking about using this for electrolysis and laser. You need something that penetrates the tough skin barrier and gets down to the nerve bundles that surround each and every hair.

I do hope you spend your money on something that is not useless and scammy and it does sound that you may \:\)

Dee

Licensed by the State Medical Board of Ohio for Cosmetic Therapy/Electrolysis and the State Nursing Board of Ohio

Sponsored Links
#42788 - 06/10/07 06:33 PM Re: Babyliss 8642U [Re: ]
mike856nj Offline
Major Contributor

I'm curious about this product and basically epilations in general. Is teh hair being ripped out of the root or is it somehow sanded down. I thought the hair was being pulled out from the root. If so, will this cause more hair growth? I ask this because if I can use this product on my upper arms in 5 weeks after the hair starts growing back from the laser treatment, I can extend the time for treatments. It very expensive and if I can delay the laser for several more weeks that would be excellent. Again, I do not want the hairs to get worse or thicker. Can anyone answer this?

Thanks

#42794 - 06/10/07 10:44 PM Re: Babyliss 8642U [Re: mike856nj]
LAgirl Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: New York, NY
mike, when removing hair with the root, there is always a possibility of the hair getting stronger as you're increasing blood supply to the area. if the laser treatments are not working, why not invest the money you're spending on this in electrolysis? otherwise, you can remove the hair cheaper with just waxing every 4-5 weeks if all you're getting is temporary removal and with waxing, you won't have to wait 3 weeks for shedding.

Velda, I don't know how expensive you think laser hair removal is, but if you're just doing regular bikini, you can have 6-8 treatments spaced 8-12 weeks apart at about $100-150 each. It's not that much more expensive than waxing, but you would be getting permanent removal and won't have to deal with the issues of irritation etc that you're dealing with now. It's the best money I've ever spent. If you have coarse dark hair and light skin, I personally don't think it's worth spending hundreds of dollars a year for the rest of your life on temporary methods. Just something to consider.

#42806 - 06/11/07 07:26 AM Re: Babyliss 8642U [Re: ]
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: San Diego, California
Dee, I have found Bactine with 2.5% lidocaine decently effective, and inexpensive. It's my topical of choice these days. It works fast, and can be applied mid-hour during the session for good effectiveness. Like everything else, it mutes the edge of the pain, but doesn't totally numb, of course. I still use Tridocaine on the more sensitive areas like feet and side of knees, but I don't apply it that thick. Manufacturer directions state that it doesn't really help occluding airflow. Being that EMLA is very similar to Tridocaine, I can't really see the sense in putting it on as thick as cake frosting. A sixteenth of an inch is going to deliver all the body can really use anyway. You know it doesn't take much lidocaine to do the job, effectiveness relies on lipid barrier penetration rates.

Mantaray

Electrolysis, since 1875

#42808 - 06/11/07 11:27 AM Re: Babyliss 8642U [Re: Mantaray]
Deedra Offline

Top 10 Contributor

Loc: United States
EMLA has the ability to totally numb an area if used properly. These are the manufacturer's directions concerning dosage and administration. I don't have the time to get direct words copied and pasted here right at this time, but will try to later.

Dee

Licensed by the State Medical Board of Ohio for Cosmetic Therapy/Electrolysis and the State Nursing Board of Ohio

#42815 - 06/12/07 05:44 AM Re: Babyless 8642U [Re: ]
Mantaray Offline
Top 10 Contributor

Loc: San Diego, California
I've read the directions for use of Emla cream. I know it asks to apply thick and occlude. What I'm saying is that there's nothing unique with Emla cream. At 5%, it's 25 mg/gm lidocaine, that's .025gm/gm, that's 2.5% lidocaine, and the prolicaine makes up the other 2.5%. The thick viscosity is the method they use to try keeping the cream localized, instead of a more watery mixture, occluding only helps it from physically falling or smearing off. Bactine can approach the same effectiveness if rubbed in and allowed time to transit the barrier. After all, it's the exact same strength of lidocaine.

The point I'm raising is that for the price of Emla, and how much of it they ask consumers to expend with each application, it's far more feasible to go with Bactine and apply it well, maybe twice before treatment. $42.00 for 30grams Emla, that's a little steep. plus all the shipping charges and waiting. You can get Bactine at Wal-Mart for $2.80 for a 5 oz. pump spray bottle. Dee, know I'm posting this just to alert consumers that they have real, and effective choices that might work for them. Have fun in Chicago, don't take the Elevated Train into any bad areas. I once did that by mistake at 3:00 in the morning.

Mantaray

Electrolysis, since 1875

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Andrea 
Sponsored Links
Recent Posts
Could you give me some electrolysis advice?
by Deedra
Today at 12:23 AM
A sign of dermal over-treatment?
by Deedra
Today at 12:22 AM
Can someone in USA sell me THE needles, please?
by Deedra
Today at 12:19 AM
temporary hypopigmentation or dermis scarring?
by Deedra
Today at 12:11 AM
Something wrong
by Deedra
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
Top Posters
LAgirl 9994
Deedra 9720
James W. Walker VII 8055
Andrea 4158
Michael Bono 3507
Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod